[Czechlist] Musical terms

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2013
      A few weeks ago I asked several Czechs how to translate the term "slide guitar", referring to the style of some blues guitarists who play specially tuned guitars and slide a bottleneck, a piece of pipe or even a cigarette lighter up and down the strings. Does anybody know what to call this in Czech?

      And while we're at it, how do you refer to a "pedal steel guitar"?

    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
        Hi, Jamie!
        I think it could be “dobro” (invented by DOpiera BROthers in 1928). Pedal steel guitar is referred to in Czech as “(pedálová) steel kytara”. HTH.
        Regards,
        Jarda

        Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 6:08 AM
        Subject: [Czechlist] Musical terms

        A few weeks ago I asked several Czechs how to translate the term "slide guitar", referring to the style of some blues guitarists who play specially tuned guitars and slide a bottleneck, a piece of pipe or even a cigarette lighter up and down the strings. Does anybody know what to call this in Czech?

        And while we're at it, how do you refer to a "pedal steel guitar"?

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
          I'll ask a Czech musician pal, Jamie.

          Gerry

          On 4 December 2013 06:08, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:

          A few weeks ago I asked several Czechs how to translate the term "slide guitar", referring to the style of some blues guitarists who play specially tuned guitars and slide a bottleneck, a piece of pipe or even a cigarette lighter up and down the strings. Does anybody know what to call this in Czech?

          And while we're at it, how do you refer to a "pedal steel guitar"?

          6 Route de Mortroux
          23360 La Forêt-du-Temple
          France

          Tel: + 33 5 44 30 12 41

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
              I'm certainly no expert on anything music-related, but Dobro is a kind of guitar, not a style of playing one... (and used mostly in country&western type of music as opposed to blues), I believe the name is the same in ENG

              Pedal steel guitar seems indeed to be called pedalova steel kytara

              Slide (the thing used to slide up and down) is (not surprisingly) a slide:

              The style is called slide, or slide kytara, sometimes with (skluz) added for explanation, but guitar heads seem to just use slide and conjugate it as if it were a Czech word, see some of the forum posts among these Google results:

              Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 6:08 AM

              A few weeks ago I asked several Czechs how to translate the term "slide guitar", referring to the style of some blues guitarists who play specially tuned guitars and slide a bottleneck, a piece of pipe or even a cigarette lighter up and down the strings. Does anybody know what to call this in Czech?

              And while we're at it, how do you refer to a "pedal steel guitar"?

              Zpráva neobsahuje viry.
              Zkontrolováno AVG - www.avg.cz
              Verze: 2014.0.4259 / Virová báze: 3657/6889 - Datum vydání: 3.12.2013

            • wustpisk
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
                  Thanks very much, all of you.

                  Yes, a Dobro is a type of guitar and not a style of playing, although many people who play slide guitar do so on a Dobro. It's an inventor's attempt, before electric guitars existed, to create a really loud guitar. It has a mechanism in the middle that resembles a loudspeaker, but it's passive technology.

                  Jamie

                  On Dec 4, 2013, at 5:48 AM, <gerry.vickers@...> wrote:

                  > also http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_guitar http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_guitar
                • Jan Culka
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
                    Sorry, I have not studied Wiki nor any other encyclopedia, therefore my remark may be a bit "out" - "Dobro" is an abbreviation from "Dopiera brothers" (Slovak brothers who were the inventors of that instrument).
                    Honza

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
                      This is good information, Honza. Thank you.

                      Jamie

                      On Dec 4, 2013, at 7:26 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

                      > Sorry, I have not studied Wiki nor any other encyclopedia, therefore my remark may be a bit "out" - "Dobro" is an abbreviation from "Dopiera brothers" (Slovak brothers who were the inventors of that instrument).
                      > Honza

                    • Jaroslav Suchánek
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013
                        Even among Czech blues and C&W pro-musicians you will usually hear just "slajdka" a "steelka".

                        HTH
                        Jarda
                        (still active drummer and accordion/piano player)

                        >> A few weeks ago I asked several Czechs how to translate the term "slide
                        >> guitar", referring to the style of some blues guitarists who play specially
                        >> tuned guitars and slide a bottleneck, a piece of pipe or even a cigarette
                        >> lighter up and down the strings. Does anybody know what to call this in
                        >> Czech?
                        >>
                        >> And while we're at it, how do you refer to a "pedal steel guitar"?
                        >>
                        >> Jamie

                      • Gerald Turner
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2013

                          From kytary.cz

                          Slide pro kytaru

                          Slide je již desítky let využívaný nástroj pro práci s tónem, který se používá „hmatníkovou“ rukou k postupnému přechodu mezi tóny. Kromě rozměrů slidu je důležité vybírat dle materiálu, z kterého je vyroben – základní typy jsou kovové nebo skleněné, existují ale i slidy hliněné či porcelánové. Kovový slide většinou zní jasněji, skleněný kulatěji.

                          How disappointing, not even slajd.

                          Gerry

                          --
                          6 Route de Mortroux