Dead rubber, podhradi, cerna kronika...

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2013
      More from the Czechlist Facebook archives. Sometimes there is no context, so I have just taken brief notes.
      "dead rubber" - do the Czechs have a word for it? In English "dead rubber" means a match, in a series of matches (say Davis Cup), where the result of the series has already been decided by the results of earlier matches. Anyone know? Thank you.

      Jan Krupička "již rozhodnutá série utkání" The only thing coming to my mind right now.

      26 October at 09:13 · Like · 1

      Prokop Vantuch We don't have a special noun, i.e. an exact equivalent, for this. But in this case we use the phrase "za rozhodnutého stavu". This is widely used in Davis Cup/Fed Cup when the last (two) game(s) cannot change the overall result, i.e. when either of the teams has already won 3 rubbers.

      26 October at 09:15 via mobile · Like · 2

      Zlata Heller This group is the best online dictionary ever. Thank you Honziku and Prokope.

      Autentický - First-hand, authentic, genuine.

      Přesah – overlap, outreach, spill-over, over-, implications, ramifications, component, element etc etc

      Dílčí -  Dílčí. Partial, particular, single, separate, part-, sub- , individual, interim

      Zázemí – home base

      Podhradi

      Melvyn Clarke Poldauf suggests "settlement round a castle". Perhaps some variation on that theme?http://en.glosbe.com/cs/en/podhrad%C3%AD

      Stephan Von Pohl Jennifer, I've put together a pretty decent dictionary of archeology and castle-related terminology over the past couple of years. In the academic texts I translate, the term is "suburbium". It might not mean much to the lay person (sounds too much like "suburb") - could be reworded as "settlement below the castle", if you need to go for clarity.

      "Čechy Čechům!"

      Czech lands in Czech hands

      "rigorozni zkouska"

      Rigorosum; rigorosum procedure

      Černá kronika.

      Jenny Gordon Is it not just crime?

      13 October at 20:36 via mobile · Like

      Melvyn Clarke I am told by a normally reliable source that it includes accidents etc.

      13 October at 20:37 · Like

      • Beata Rodlingova I just ran a quick Google check (because crime was my first thought) and it does seem to include accidents etc., too.
        (Do not call it "bad news", I get the impression that would currently be a pleonasm.)

      13 October at 20:38 · Unlike · 1

      Melvyn Clarke Accidents and serious pleonasms.

      13 October at 20:41 · Edited · Like

      Stephan Von Pohl It has the connotation of all the juicy, morbid, dark news items. If I'm not mistaken, in the past newspapers had a separate page or section dedicated to it. "Police blotter" doesn't totally cover it, but comes close.

      Would it fit your context to sort of reword it like: "She had her RSS feed set to get all the juicy, morbid news items"? Or is that too much artistic license?

      13 October at 20:43 · Like

      Jennifer Hejtmánková Almanac of Incidents

      13 October at 20:48 · Unlike · 1

      Jenny Gordon Hmm, it's a difficult one in that case. I hadn't studied the content of that section too closely, but I can see idnes.cz has more than just crime. Bad news seems a poor substitute, but what else can you put?

      13 October at 20:57 · Like

      Melvyn Clarke "Juicy, morbid" might be pushing it a bit here, but a similar descriptive word might well fit. Grim? Bleak? Police blotter sounds good.

      13 October at 20:59 · Like

      Rad Graban Breaking crime news?

      14 October at 09:50 · Like

      Jennifer Hejtmánková "breaking" gives a sense of urgency, immediacy....not all these things in the cerna kronika are breaking news...

      14 October at 09:56 · Like

      Jennifer Hejtmánková a lot of them are just to show how stupid people are

      14 October at 09:56 · Like · 2

      Melvyn Clarke "Crime and accident column" has also been suggested in the past. Now I am toying with ideas like "crime and calamity columns", to give it that melodramatic touch.

      15 October at 09:29 · Edited · Like · 2