průvodní text

  • Sarka Rubkova
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013

      Ahoj,

      Jak byste do angličtiny přeložili „průvodní text“ a „grafická úprava“. Jedná se knihu.

      Myslím si, že grafická úprava = design

      sarka

    • Ton Macel
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
        Ahoj Sarko,

        pod "grafickou upravou" ja rozumim "layout".
        "Design" je podle meho jazykoveho citu neco vice umeleckeho (umelecke stvarneni), nebo naopak technickeho (= cesky "konstrukce", nespravne "design" nejake technicke veci, stroje apod.).
        Layout je pomerne neutralni, proste rozvrzeni pismenek atd. na papire, at uz provedene umelcem nebo prvnackem.

        Jsem zvedav na reakce rodilych mluvcich a dalsich, kompetentnejsich osob.

        Z destiveho Haagu zdravi

        Ton
        ​(y)​
        Máčel

        Máčel Translations
        Doornstraat 126
        NL-2584 AN  Den Haag
        T (NL): +31 70 3585481
        T (Skype): +31 70 2500388
        M (NL): +31 65 4242784
        E: mt@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
          If "graficka uprava" means the same thing my Czech clients mean when they say "montaz", that's layout.

          If "graficka uprava" means everything from creating the "montaz" to creating images, etc., that would be "graphic design". When my clients refer to "graficka uprava", that most often means the whole enchilada, i.e. graphic design, and not just the layout.

          The person determining the color scheme, typefaces, image placement, etc., is generally considered to be designing, and the person arranging the page within the determined design parameters is laying it out.

          At the advertising agencies where I worked, a designer would create the design for a magazine, the general look of the pages (color scheme, fonts, column configuration, logos, etc.). The pages looked the same every month, and the page design would then be called a layout. The same designer or another one would take the next month's articles and "flow them into" the layout. (Of course, all of the designers there were capable of both designing and laying out a magazine, so there was no hierarchy, and the boundary between the activities was blurry.)

          In some cases, where the work is less "designy", you can use the terms interchangeably.

          I hope this doesn't mean one of my clients is going to send me a PDF to edit where the whole thing has to be rewritten due to unnatural English. "...of the...of the...of the...of the...", brand names placed after the common nouns, etc.

          Jamie

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
              Graficka uprava STRANKY would definitely be "layout".

              However, I have a Czech client with an in-house graphics studio that uses the term "graficka uprava" (minus stranky) as a more general term that takes in layout and all other design involved in creating the publication.

              Since the border between "layout" and "graphic design" is often blurry, it's safer to say "graphic design" if there is a possibility that someone is making aesthetic, rather than just slapping a page together in a predetermined format.

              akad. mal. James Kirchner

              On Oct 16, 2013, at 2:58 PM, <zehrovak@...> <zehrovak@...> wrote:

              > Podle slovnicku nakladatelske a tiskarske terminologie graficka uprava stranky = layout.
              >

              > A jaky druh pruvodniho textu mas na mysli?
              >

              > S pozdravem,
              >

              > Melvyn
              >

              > ---In czechlist@yahoogroups.com, <mt@...> wrote:
              >
              > Ahoj Sarko,
              >

              > pod "grafickou upravou" ja rozumim "layout".
              > "Design" je podle meho jazykoveho citu neco vice umeleckeho (umelecke stvarneni), nebo naopak technickeho (= cesky "konstrukce", nespravne "design" nejake technicke veci, stroje apod.).
              > Layout je pomerne neutralni, proste rozvrzeni pismenek atd. na papire, at uz provedene umelcem nebo prvnackem.
              >

              > Jsem zvedav na reakce rodilych mluvcich a dalsich, kompetentnejsich osob.
              >

              > Z destiveho Haagu zdravi
              >
              > Ton (y)
              > Macel
              >
              > Macel Translations
              > Doornstraat 126
              > NL-2584 AN Den Haag
              > T (NL): +31 70 3585481
              > T (Skype): +31 70 2500388
              > M (NL): +31 65 4242784
              > E: mt@... mailto:mt@...
              >

              > 2013/10/16 Sarka Rubkova <sarka@... mailto:sarka@...>
              >

              > Ahoj,
              > Jak byste do anglictiny prelozili ,,pruvodni text" a ,,graficka uprava". Jedna se knihu.
              >
              > Myslim si, ze graficka uprava = design
              >
              > sarka

            • Sarka Rubkova

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013

                  caption

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013

                    aha... jsem se ukvapil: ty mas na mysli delsi text nez jen popisku, ze?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013

                      Jo, to mám, je to takový delší spojovací text mezi fotografiemi

                      sarka

                      aha... jsem se ukvapil: ty mas na mysli delsi text nez jen popisku, ze?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 16, 2013
                        They can be rather long and still be called captions, depending on the layout. A caption doesn't have to be just a sentence.

                        If they are large blocks, we would call them "accompanying text" or "text accompanying the photos", but you wouldn't see that term written anywhere in a layout.

                        Jamie