Dynamic Risk Assessment

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10 2:55 PM

      ... in a matrix, without any context.

      Would you say it means Dynamic Assessment of Risks, or Assessment of Dynamic Risks?

      (and wouldn’t it be better if the writer used the “xx of xx” construction that has been so many times bashed on this forum...)

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10 3:11 PM
        It means:

        [Dynamic] [Risk Assessment]

        "Risk assessment" is such a familiar collocation to native English speakers that they would automatically understand it as one lexical unit described by the word "dynamic".

        So it means "dynamic assessment of risks", but I would not use the "of" construction, because, again, to a native speaker it's clear how the phrase is to be broken up, and the "of" construction runs the risk of sounding foreign (although in this case only the slight risk).

        This is something like the Czech teacher telling kids to say "teacher of English" instead of "English teacher", claiming that "English teacher" is ambiguous. However, "English teacher" is never ambiguous to native speakers, especially in the spoken language.

        Jamie

        On Oct 10, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

        > ... in a matrix, without any context.
        >
        > Would you say it means Dynamic Assessment of Risks, or Assessment of Dynamic Risks?
        > (and wouldn't it be better if the writer used the "xx of xx" construction that has been so many times bashed on this forum...)
        >
        > Thanks
      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10 3:15 PM

          But if you google it out, both lexical units exist: dynamic assessment as well dynamic risk.  So how can you tell which one it is? Not as clear as an English teacher.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10 3:34 PM
            My native-speaker intuition is that people will understand it as [Dynamic] [Risk Assessment], and if it's meant to be an assessment of "dynamic risk", they'll probably use the "of" construction. With tech writers, you never know, and if they expect you to understand it as an assessment of dynamic risk, they should have made it clear.

            Jamie

            On Oct 10, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

            > But if you google it out, both lexical units exist: dynamic assessment as well dynamic risk. So how can you tell which one it is? Not as clear as an English teacher.

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 10 3:35 PM

              Ok thanks a lot

              Jiri

              My native-speaker intuition is that people will understand it as [Dynamic] [Risk Assessment], and if it's meant to be an assessment of "dynamic risk", they'll probably use the "of" construction. With tech writers, you never know, and if they expect you to understand it as an assessment of dynamic risk, they should have made it clear.

              Jamie

              On Oct 10, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

              > But if you google it out, both lexical units exist: dynamic assessment as well dynamic risk. So how can you tell which one it is? Not as clear as an English teacher.

            • Sabina Kralova
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 15 8:39 AM
                Dobry den,

                nemate prosim nekdo zkusenosti s agenturou World Writers? Na ProZ maji sice slusne hodnoceni, ale take par pomerne negativnich.
                Diky predem za informace.
                Sabina
              • Gerald Turner
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 15 8:43 AM
                  I worked for them a couple of years ago. Did a "proofreading" job that required re-translation.

                  Gerry

                  --
                  6 Route de Mortroux
                  23360 La Forêt-du-Temple

                  Tel: + 33 5 44 30 12 41

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 15 8:55 AM
                    My experience with the Blue Boards on Proz.com:

                    If the agency is really good to work for, there will be only positive remarks left there.

                    If the agency is terrible to work for, the majority of the remarks will be positive, and less than 25% will be negative, maybe even less than 10%.

                    I now look for the negative remarks first and ignore the positive ones. If the negative remarks are clear and damning, I don't work for the agency or do so suspiciously. If the negative remarks are cry-baby stuff, I ignore them and see what the positive remarks say.

                    Jamie

                    On Oct 15, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Sabina Kralova wrote:

                    > Dobry den,
                    >
                    > nemate prosim nekdo zkusenosti s agenturou World Writers? Na ProZ maji sice
                    > slusne hodnoceni, ale take par pomerne negativnich.
                    > Diky predem za informace.
                    > Sabina
                  • tomas_mosler

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 16 2:56 AM

                        Gerry, Jamie a Tomasi, diky za informace.
                        Sabina