[Czechlist] "amend"

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
      Why are so many non-native English-speaking translators (and some native ones) so in love with the word "amend"?

      In agencies' TM, I find all kinds of things being "amended" that should be just modified or changed. You don't "amend" a car engine; you modify or customize it. You don't "amend" an essay; you edit, modify or change it.

      In fact, you rarely "amend" anything in English, other than a legal document, and in those cases that doesn't actually involve changing it, but adding a section that invalidates a portion of the document and states text that should be regarded as replacing it. Even then, it's common in most contexts to say the law was changed or modified.

      I'm waiting for a translation where someone says a woman "amended" her hair color or that a man
      "amended" his shirt. That's how much some translators love that word.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2013
        I think PAs and people in translation business use it as a universal term for "do what we're asking you to do" so that they won't have to say change that, add that, do spellcheck, whatever, and perhaps forget something.. They'd say what needs doing and then please amend the file..

        Not sure if only non-natives use it in this context, I think I've had Emails from natives using the word..

        And that may be why non-native ENG translators like it and use it more than they should/in context where another word would be more appropriate... They've heard it so many times in those agency Emails that they give it a broader meaning than it has..