[Czechlist] More help

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013
      There are a couple of other things I'm having trouble translating in this article about the kyselinari.

      When asked why she didn't report two gangsters to the police, the wife of one of their previous victims answered:

      "Mam sa rada, mam dve deti. Daleko by som z policie nedosla."

      In English, no one would answer such a question by saying, "I like myself." I understand the meaning of that statement as, "I wanted to save my skin," or something similar. Any opinions?

      I'm having real trouble with that sentence, "Daleko by som z policie nedosla." Is she saying that if she went to the police she'd be done for? It sounds to me like she's literally saying that once she left the police station, she'd be dead before she walked very far.

      I'd be very grateful for any help.

      This is why I always refuse to interpret in court.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013
        You are very good at guessing, Jamie. Bingo in both of your attempts.

        If you really don't like 'I wanted to save my skin' - not sure why -
        you might go for something like, 'I like being alive'

        Martin

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013
          Hi Jamie,

          > "Mam sa rada, mam dve deti."

          She basically means "I don't want to get killed, hurt or otherwise harmed."

          > " Daleko by som z policie nedosla."

          Just as you say, she indicates the people the police ask her to identify
          are so omnipotent they could dispose of her before she reaches her home.
          I trust this is an exaggeration, simply to impress the police how scared
          she feels...

          Jirka

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013
            Thanks, Jirka. I guess I did understand it, but I had no confidence in my interpretation of it.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013
              Thank you. I'll use that one. The first sentence I actually wrote into MemoQ was, "I wanted to protect myself," but yours is better.

              Jamie