[Czechlist] PRONUNCIATION: SHE abbreviation

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013
      Hi there,

      Just wondering: if the abbreviation SHE is used for Safety, Health and
      Environment, is it possible to commonly expect it to be pronounced as an
      acronym, that is in the same way as pronoun 'she', or spelled as 'S-H-E'?

      Insights welcome...

      Jirka

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013
        Often initialisms like that are pronounced as the word they look like, but in this particular case, my gut feeling is that they would pronounce it S-H-E.

        I think we spell them out if they are only one syllable. So something like NAB (New American Bible) would be pronounced N-A-B, but an abbreviation like FAFSA will really be pronounced as a nonsensical word.

        Jamie

        On Sep 11, 2013, at 6:10 AM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > Just wondering: if the abbreviation SHE is used for Safety, Health and
        > Environment, is it possible to commonly expect it to be pronounced as an
        > acronym, that is in the same way as pronoun 'she', or spelled as 'S-H-E'?
        >
        > Insights welcome...
        >
        > Jirka

      • dagmarwt
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013

          Alas, I have heard it pronounced as 'she' during many a presentation at EWC meetings...And of course, it was known and understood as such by all the foreign employees as well :)

          Dagmar

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13, 2013
            Thanks, Jamie and Dagmar. I suppose Jamie is right that spelling SHE out
            sounds more natural (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1r5lifNP2s) while
            Dagmar confirms the choice may be deliberately acronymic. The latter
            approach might be supported by the fact that the abbreviation is more
            often HSE, so putting it as SHE should be for a reason...

            Jirka

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13, 2013
              I think part of the reason, besides what I mentioned before, is that pronouncing it like the word "she" would be confusing in longer speech, because it would leave people wondering when they're talking about the organization, when they mean the pronoun "she", and maybe even if they're talking about a 1960s movie starring Olga Schoberova.

              "When she started working for SHE, she was extremely helpful." Who are they talking about.

              Jamie