RE: marmalade dropper

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013

      Apparently it is known as a 'muffin choker' in US English http://notdoubledutch.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/marmalade-dropper/

      --- In czechlist@yahoogroups.com, <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

      Wordnik Word of the Day says the following (see below)

      Only now have I noticed that it also says “According to the Word Spy, this phrase 'has appeared almost exclusively in British newspapers and magazines.' “

      marmalade dropper

      Highly stunning information, especially when associated with the news.

      It is what is known on Fleet Street as a ‘marmalade dropper’ — a story so surprising that the piece of toast you are eating as you read it falls from your hand.
      Toby Young, 'Status Anxiety,' The Spectator, January 28, 2009

      When Gordon Brown had breakfast at the Guardian recently, the real marmalade-dropper was his description of top-up fees as 'this ridiculous idea'.
      'What the Fees Are For,' The Telegraph, December 5, 2002

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013

        good to know, thanks

        Toby Young, 'Status Anxiety,' The Spectator, January 28, 2009

        'What the Fees Are For,' The Telegraph, December 5, 2002

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013
          Americans would be no more likely to know what a "muffin choker" is than to know what a "marmalade dropper" is. That expression sounds foreign to me also.

          I googled the exact phrase an got fewer than 500 results, mostly from websites that are not American. For expressions that really exist but that most Americans don't understand, the numbers would be in the thousands or tens of thousands.

          It makes me think of those books from the old days in the CSSR or the CSFR, like "Americko-Cesky Slovnik", which became my younger sister's favorite joke book because of all the improbable expressions it contained (she made me buy her a copy even though she doesn't understand Czech), and "Wang Dang American Slang" which contained some expressions that one person probably said in one place once.

          We do use the expression "canard", which is French for "kachna", but as far as I know, we don't have a word for a canard that's shocking.

          Jamie

          On Sep 4, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

          > good to know, thanks

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013

            ok.

            ...sounds like it was a bit premature of me to say “good to know”

            Americans would be no more likely to know what a "muffin choker" is than to know what a "marmalade dropper" is. That expression sounds foreign to me also.

            I googled the exact phrase an got fewer than 500 results, mostly from websites that are not American. For expressions that really exist but that most Americans don't understand, the numbers would be in the thousands or tens of thousands.

            It makes me think of those books from the old days in the CSSR or the CSFR, like "Americko-Cesky Slovnik", which became my younger sister's favorite joke book because of all the improbable expressions it contained (she made me buy her a copy even though she doesn't understand Czech), and "Wang Dang American Slang" which contained some expressions that one person probably said in one place once.

            We do use the expression "canard", which is French for "kachna", but as far as I know, we don't have a word for a canard that's shocking.

            Jamie

            On Sep 4, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

            > good to know, thanks

          • wustpisk
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013
              Exactly the same apples to 'marmalade dropper' - it has probably been used in Standard English as much as 'muffin choker or 'coffee spitter' has been used in the US version of the language.
            • Jan Culka
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                Jamie, not knowing exactly where you are from (Karlovy Vary, yes) - I mean in the States - maybe you come from one of the states where rather T-bone steak choker is used ... :-)
                Honza

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Detroit, with a few years in Marianske Lazne.

                  In Detroit, it is more likely to be a kielbasa choker or a paczke choker.

                  My theory about the term "muffin choker" is that some britophile American journalist liked the term "marmalade dropper" but knew Americans wouldn't understand it, so made a failed attempt at creating an equivalent American term. One of the reasons it doesn't work is that some Americans eat muffins for breakfast, but not most. A better term would be "cornflake choker" or "Cheerio inhaler", or maybe "coffee spitter".

                  Call me stupid, but it took me several hours to realize that "marmalade dropper" was meant to indicate that the story was so shocking that a person dropped his jar of marmalade. For hours, I thought it indicated a device for dispensing very small amounts of marmalade. You see, we don't eat the bread-and-marmalade breakfast here.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                    Yeah, that was exactly my first impression too. And yet, I am not from
                    Michigan :-)

                    Martin

                    Dne 5.9.2013 15:05, James Kirchner napsal(a):

                    > For hours, I thought it indicated a device for dispensing very small
                    > amounts of marmalade.
                    > Jamie

                  • Jan Culka
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Thank you for a comprehensive explanation.
                      Why "call me stupid"? Honestly, I would expect a marmalade dispenser, too.
                      Jar of marmalade? Or has anybody mentioned dropping a bread slice spread with marmalade (of course, marmalade side down)?
                      I understood and appreciated coffee spitter but why cheerio inhaler? Did you mean shock-induced inhaling of (alcoholic) liquid?
                      Sorry, too many question marx ...
                      Honza

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                        Cheerios are a venerable old American oat cereal that I believe is more commonly eaten in the US than cornflakes. Even elderly people ate them as snacks when they were toddlers. The American variant hardly has any sugar, so they're good for little kids to munch on. (I understand the brand is also made in the UK, but there they add more sugar.)

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerios

                        Americans use the word "cheerio" only for that cereal or for the purpose of making fun of the British. It's not part of our daily vocabulary, and we don't use it in greetings and toasts.

                        Jamie

                      • Jan Culka
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 13, 2013

                          Vážené kolegyně, vážení kolegové,
                          potřebuji do 10. ledna přeložit cca 700 stran rozsudků z Č do A.
                          Pokud má někdo čas a chuť, pošlete mi své cenové nabídky na culka@....
                          Výhoda je v tom, že jednotlivé rozsudky nejsou příliš rozsáhlé a nemusejí být terminologicky úplně jednolité. Všechny se týkají jedné kauzy z oblasti bytového družstevnictví, budou si tedy dost podobné.
                          Honza