Re[2]: [Czechlist] RE: školní kabinet

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6 12:54 AM
      Staff room is sborovna = a common room for all teachers, that's where
      they meet and get abuse from the headmaster..

      In Czech schools, most teachers also have their own room, basically
      each subject (i.e. biology, chemistry, maths, etc.) will have a
      dedicated "kabinet", shared by all teachers who teach those subjects if
      there are more, it's a combination of their office where they work and
      a storage room for all the stuffed animals/test tubes/whatever that are
      used in those classes, plus books etc.

      I don't think this happens in ENG/Western schools that much, there's a
      staff room, some sort of common area and some senior teachers may have
      their offices, but the storage and office function will be divided?

      The entire concept is different in Czech schools - all the way up to
      Universities and still largely remaining, IMHO, no open-plan always
      open spaces where everyone is, more individual offices with closed
      doors...

      When I was at uni in Seattle, I used to wonder why everyone leaves
      their doors open - they had their offices, but the doors were always
      open and they were working while on display to passers-by, which seemed
      odd to me and I would certainly prefer to close the door if it was me..
      then someone explained that you had to keep your door open at all times
      - even when you had someone in, especially, actually - so that they
      couldn't claim you harassed them, sexually or otherwise.. a bit weird,
      I thought, but it sums up the difference between Czech and Western
      schools.. one one hand open areas for everyone, anyone can go in and
      talk to a teacher (good), on the other this weird arrangement..

      Anyway, back to the subject, kabinet (which would mostly appear as
      'prirodovedny kabinet', 'kabinet chemie' etc.) is one of those
      offices/storage spaces dedicated to one subject... is there anything
      similar in Western schools?

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6 2:09 AM
        Podle je staff room sborovna.

        Kabinet je místnost blízko specializovaných učeben (např. Fyziky), kde jsou uloženy pomůcky a kde mají příslušní učitelé svoj stůl.

        sarka

        On 6 August 2013 08:35, Sarka Rubkova <sarka@... <mailto:sarka%40rubkova.cz> > wrote:

        > Ahoj,
        >
        > Narazila jsme na ąkolní cabinet a nevím, jak to přeloľit.
        >

        > Pomozte prosím
        >

        > Sarka

        6 Route de Mortroux
        23360 La Forêt-du-Temple
        France

        Tel: + 33 5 44 30 12 41

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6 4:29 AM
          In the United States, this is called the teacher's "office". "See me in my office after class!" The teachers keep "office hours".

          As someone has already mentioned, it's not "staff room", because that's the sborovna.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6 4:40 AM
            Matej, we do have something like that in American schools, and it's called an office.

            I go a bit farther than those instructors you saw when it comes to office hours and meeting students. I refuse to meet students in an office at all and will only talk to them in public places with witnesses present, such as in the classroom, in the cafeteria or in the lobby of the department offices with the receptionist and other staff present. This gets me into trouble anyway, because students complain that I "disrespected" them in public, but it's better than being accused of some criminal act or other in a culture where the man is usually assumed guilty until proven innocent. One of the things I miss most about the Czech Republic is having that pressure off me.

            Generally, those complaints from students don't result from actual misbehavior or criminal actions by the instructor, but from the fact that the student is failing the class and either wants a grade change or wants revenge.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6 7:59 AM
              Well, I don't know about American schools below university level - and
              'kabinet' is a zakladni skola/stredni skola thing in Czech, not
              university, but I think those offices are just offices, whereas
              'kabinet' usually has this slightly sinister or mad scientist
              feel/sound to it - a place where a stuffed vulture looks down on
              frightened pupils, or where some old moldy thing may grow into a new
              life form one day, that sort of thing..

              That's why I pointed the difference... I'm not saying it has to be the
              case in all texts, but 'skolni kabinet' or 'prirodopisny kabinet' may
              be a phrase in its own right in certain contexts in Czech, conjuring up
              images only Czechs of a certain age are familiar with... if I was
              translating some sort of literature where this was used to good effect,
              I'd probably say something like "Mr. XY the life sciences teacher's
              office where YZ seemed to happen everytime you entered.."

> [...]
              >> open and they were working while on display to passers-by, which
              >seemed
              >> odd to me and I would certainly prefer to close the door if it was
              >me..
              >> then someone explained that you had to keep your door open at all
              >times
              >> - even when you had someone in, especially, actually - so that they
              >> couldn't claim you harassed them, sexually or otherwise.. a bit
              >weird,
              >> I thought, but it sums up the difference between Czech and Western
              >> schools.. one one hand open areas for everyone, anyone can go in and
              >> talk to a teacher (good), on the other this weird arrangement..
              >>
              >> Anyway, back to the subject, kabinet (which would mostly appear as
              >> 'prirodovedny kabinet', 'kabinet chemie' etc.) is one of those
              >> offices/storage spaces dedicated to one subject... is there anything

              >>> 23360 La Foret-du-Temple

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6 8:15 AM
                I had a kabinet in the Czech Republic, and I found it hilarious when I first learned the term, because it reminded me of the old silent horror film "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari".

                However, I have been in quite a lot of elementary and high school teacher's kabinets in the Czech Republic, and they're exactly like teachers' offices in American schools.

                Jamie

              • Sabina Králová
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6 8:57 AM
                  Dobry den,

                  potrebovala bych poradit pokud mozno od rodileho mluvciho. Potykam se s terminem "specializace" pri prekladu webovych stranek, kterym se mini ruzne obory prava a a bankovnictvi. Chtela jsem pouzit termin "Areas of Expertise", ale je to prilis dlouhe a nevejde se to na prislusnou zalozku.
                  Jake by bylo nejvhodnejsi synonymum?
                  Diky moc
                  Sabina

                • Charles Stanford
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6 10:13 AM
                    Can you not just use "Expertise" Sabina?

                    2013/8/6 Sabina Kr�lov� <saba-k@...>

                    > **
                    >

                    > Dobry den,
                    >
                    > potrebovala bych poradit pokud mozno od rodileho mluvciho. Potykam se s
                    > terminem "specializace" pri prekladu webovych stranek, kterym se mini ruzne
                    > obory prava a a bankovnictvi. Chtela jsem pouzit termin "Areas of
                    > Expertise", ale je to prilis dlouhe a nevejde se to na prislusnou zalozku.
                    > Jake by bylo nejvhodnejsi synonymum?
                    > Diky moc
                    > Sabina

                    Charlie Stanford
                    Telephone: +420 326 996 382
                    +420 737 583 608
                    Skype: charliestanfordtranslations

                  • Sabina Králová
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 7 12:08 AM
                      Sure, I can:).
                      Thank you.
                      Sabina

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 7 12:52 AM
                        Dobry den,

                        az do nedavna jsem spolupracovala s Anglicanem, ktery mi delal korektury
                        prekladu do anglictiny. Odesel do duchodu, takze jsem nutna si najit nekoho
                        jineho. Pokud byste nekdo mel zajem, obratte se na mne prosim offlist s
                        nabidkou podminek. Hledam spise nekoho, kdo pouziva britskou anglictinu.
                        Diky moc!
                        Sabina
                      • Sabina Králová
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8 6:00 AM
                          Dobry den,

                          prekladam laboratorni navod a narazila jsem na 2 chemicke nazvy, s nimiz si
                          naprosto nevim rady a nedari se mi je dohledat:

                          merthiolate formalin, sodium acetate formalin. To prvni by snad mohl byt
                          merthiolat formalin??, u toho druheho mne napada jen formaldehyd acetat, ale
                          nikdy jsem neslysela o formaldehyd acetatu sodnem.
                          Diky moc za rady
                          Sabina
                        • Jan Culka
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 8 6:26 AM
                            Ahoj Sabino,
                            nemusí to být zrovna sloučeniny - na Googlu se uvádí sodium acetate formalin
                            jako roztok acetátu (octanu) sodného ve formalínu, merthiolate formalin bude
                            zase roztok ve formalínu, ale udivuje mě, že není uvedeno, jakého
                            merthiolátu (obvykle jodný).
                            Je to k něčemu?
                            Honza

                            > prekladam laboratorni navod a narazila jsem na 2 chemicke nazvy, s nimiz
                            > si
                            > naprosto nevim rady a nedari se mi je dohledat:
                            >
                            > merthiolate formalin, sodium acetate formalin. To prvni by snad mohl byt
                            > merthiolat formalin??, u toho druheho mne napada jen formaldehyd acetat,
                            > ale
                            > nikdy jsem neslysela o formaldehyd acetatu sodnem.
                            > Diky moc za rady
                            > Sabina

                          • Sabina Králová
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 8 6:32 AM
                              Ahoj Honzo,

                              jasně, díky moc. Tohle mi dává smysl. Asi jsem špatně hledala:).
                              Sabina