Re: [Czechlist] RE: školní kabinet

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
      Není to "staff room" /v anglickém kontextu/?

      Gerry

      On 6 August 2013 08:35, Sarka Rubkova <sarka@...> wrote:

      > Ahoj,
      >
      > Narazila jsme na ąkolní cabinet a nevím, jak to přeloľit.
      >

      > Pomozte prosím
      >

      > Sarka

      6 Route de Mortroux
      23360 La Forêt-du-Temple
      France

      Tel: + 33 5 44 30 12 41

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
        Staff room is sborovna = a common room for all teachers, that's where
        they meet and get abuse from the headmaster..

        In Czech schools, most teachers also have their own room, basically
        each subject (i.e. biology, chemistry, maths, etc.) will have a
        dedicated "kabinet", shared by all teachers who teach those subjects if
        there are more, it's a combination of their office where they work and
        a storage room for all the stuffed animals/test tubes/whatever that are
        used in those classes, plus books etc.

        I don't think this happens in ENG/Western schools that much, there's a
        staff room, some sort of common area and some senior teachers may have
        their offices, but the storage and office function will be divided?

        The entire concept is different in Czech schools - all the way up to
        Universities and still largely remaining, IMHO, no open-plan always
        open spaces where everyone is, more individual offices with closed
        doors...

        When I was at uni in Seattle, I used to wonder why everyone leaves
        their doors open - they had their offices, but the doors were always
        open and they were working while on display to passers-by, which seemed
        odd to me and I would certainly prefer to close the door if it was me..
        then someone explained that you had to keep your door open at all times
        - even when you had someone in, especially, actually - so that they
        couldn't claim you harassed them, sexually or otherwise.. a bit weird,
        I thought, but it sums up the difference between Czech and Western
        schools.. one one hand open areas for everyone, anyone can go in and
        talk to a teacher (good), on the other this weird arrangement..

        Anyway, back to the subject, kabinet (which would mostly appear as
        'prirodovedny kabinet', 'kabinet chemie' etc.) is one of those
        offices/storage spaces dedicated to one subject... is there anything
        similar in Western schools?

        > Není to "staff room" /v anglickém kontextu/?
        >
        >Gerry
        >
        >On 6 August 2013 08:35, Sarka Rubkova <sarka@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Ahoj,
        >>
        >> Narazila jsme na ąkolní cabinet a nevím, jak to přeloľit.
        >>

        >> Pomozte prosím
        >>

        >> Sarka

        >--
        >6 Route de Mortroux
        >23360 La Forêt-du-Temple
        >France
        >
        >Tel: + 33 5 44 30 12 41

      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
          Podle je staff room sborovna.

          Kabinet je místnost blízko specializovaných učeben (např. Fyziky), kde jsou uloženy pomůcky a kde mají příslušní učitelé svoj stůl.

          sarka

          On 6 August 2013 08:35, Sarka Rubkova <sarka@... <mailto:sarka%40rubkova.cz> > wrote:

          > Ahoj,
          >
          > Narazila jsme na ąkolní cabinet a nevím, jak to přeloľit.
          >

          > Pomozte prosím
          >

          > Sarka

          6 Route de Mortroux
          23360 La Forêt-du-Temple
          France

          Tel: + 33 5 44 30 12 41

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
            In the United States, this is called the teacher's "office". "See me in my office after class!" The teachers keep "office hours".

            As someone has already mentioned, it's not "staff room", because that's the sborovna.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
              Matej, we do have something like that in American schools, and it's called an office.

              I go a bit farther than those instructors you saw when it comes to office hours and meeting students. I refuse to meet students in an office at all and will only talk to them in public places with witnesses present, such as in the classroom, in the cafeteria or in the lobby of the department offices with the receptionist and other staff present. This gets me into trouble anyway, because students complain that I "disrespected" them in public, but it's better than being accused of some criminal act or other in a culture where the man is usually assumed guilty until proven innocent. One of the things I miss most about the Czech Republic is having that pressure off me.

              Generally, those complaints from students don't result from actual misbehavior or criminal actions by the instructor, but from the fact that the student is failing the class and either wants a grade change or wants revenge.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                Well, I don't know about American schools below university level - and
                'kabinet' is a zakladni skola/stredni skola thing in Czech, not
                university, but I think those offices are just offices, whereas
                'kabinet' usually has this slightly sinister or mad scientist
                feel/sound to it - a place where a stuffed vulture looks down on
                frightened pupils, or where some old moldy thing may grow into a new
                life form one day, that sort of thing..

                That's why I pointed the difference... I'm not saying it has to be the
                case in all texts, but 'skolni kabinet' or 'prirodopisny kabinet' may
                be a phrase in its own right in certain contexts in Czech, conjuring up
                images only Czechs of a certain age are familiar with... if I was
                translating some sort of literature where this was used to good effect,
                I'd probably say something like "Mr. XY the life sciences teacher's
                office where YZ seemed to happen everytime you entered.."

> [...]
                >> open and they were working while on display to passers-by, which
                >seemed
                >> odd to me and I would certainly prefer to close the door if it was
                >me..
                >> then someone explained that you had to keep your door open at all
                >times
                >> - even when you had someone in, especially, actually - so that they
                >> couldn't claim you harassed them, sexually or otherwise.. a bit
                >weird,
                >> I thought, but it sums up the difference between Czech and Western
                >> schools.. one one hand open areas for everyone, anyone can go in and
                >> talk to a teacher (good), on the other this weird arrangement..
                >>
                >> Anyway, back to the subject, kabinet (which would mostly appear as
                >> 'prirodovedny kabinet', 'kabinet chemie' etc.) is one of those
                >> offices/storage spaces dedicated to one subject... is there anything

                >>> 23360 La Foret-du-Temple

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                  I had a kabinet in the Czech Republic, and I found it hilarious when I first learned the term, because it reminded me of the old silent horror film "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari".

                  However, I have been in quite a lot of elementary and high school teacher's kabinets in the Czech Republic, and they're exactly like teachers' offices in American schools.

                  Jamie

                • Sabina Králová
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                    Dobry den,

                    potrebovala bych poradit pokud mozno od rodileho mluvciho. Potykam se s terminem "specializace" pri prekladu webovych stranek, kterym se mini ruzne obory prava a a bankovnictvi. Chtela jsem pouzit termin "Areas of Expertise", ale je to prilis dlouhe a nevejde se to na prislusnou zalozku.
                    Jake by bylo nejvhodnejsi synonymum?
                    Diky moc
                    Sabina

                  • Charles Stanford
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                      Can you not just use "Expertise" Sabina?

                      2013/8/6 Sabina Kr�lov� <saba-k@...>

                      > **
                      >

                      > Dobry den,
                      >
                      > potrebovala bych poradit pokud mozno od rodileho mluvciho. Potykam se s
                      > terminem "specializace" pri prekladu webovych stranek, kterym se mini ruzne
                      > obory prava a a bankovnictvi. Chtela jsem pouzit termin "Areas of
                      > Expertise", ale je to prilis dlouhe a nevejde se to na prislusnou zalozku.
                      > Jake by bylo nejvhodnejsi synonymum?
                      > Diky moc
                      > Sabina

                      Charlie Stanford
                      Telephone: +420 326 996 382
                      +420 737 583 608
                      Skype: charliestanfordtranslations

                    • Sabina Králová
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 7, 2013
                        Sure, I can:).
                        Thank you.
                        Sabina

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 7, 2013
                          Dobry den,

                          az do nedavna jsem spolupracovala s Anglicanem, ktery mi delal korektury
                          prekladu do anglictiny. Odesel do duchodu, takze jsem nutna si najit nekoho
                          jineho. Pokud byste nekdo mel zajem, obratte se na mne prosim offlist s
                          nabidkou podminek. Hledam spise nekoho, kdo pouziva britskou anglictinu.
                          Diky moc!
                          Sabina
                        • Sabina Králová
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                            Dobry den,

                            prekladam laboratorni navod a narazila jsem na 2 chemicke nazvy, s nimiz si
                            naprosto nevim rady a nedari se mi je dohledat:

                            merthiolate formalin, sodium acetate formalin. To prvni by snad mohl byt
                            merthiolat formalin??, u toho druheho mne napada jen formaldehyd acetat, ale
                            nikdy jsem neslysela o formaldehyd acetatu sodnem.
                            Diky moc za rady
                            Sabina
                          • Jan Culka
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                              Ahoj Sabino,
                              nemusí to být zrovna sloučeniny - na Googlu se uvádí sodium acetate formalin
                              jako roztok acetátu (octanu) sodného ve formalínu, merthiolate formalin bude
                              zase roztok ve formalínu, ale udivuje mě, že není uvedeno, jakého
                              merthiolátu (obvykle jodný).
                              Je to k něčemu?
                              Honza

                              > prekladam laboratorni navod a narazila jsem na 2 chemicke nazvy, s nimiz
                              > si
                              > naprosto nevim rady a nedari se mi je dohledat:
                              >
                              > merthiolate formalin, sodium acetate formalin. To prvni by snad mohl byt
                              > merthiolat formalin??, u toho druheho mne napada jen formaldehyd acetat,
                              > ale
                              > nikdy jsem neslysela o formaldehyd acetatu sodnem.
                              > Diky moc za rady
                              > Sabina

                            • Sabina Králová
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                                Ahoj Honzo,

                                jasně, díky moc. Tohle mi dává smysl. Asi jsem špatně hledala:).
                                Sabina