[Czechlist] Space or no space

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
      A CAT tool I use inserts a space before the percent symbol or the degree symbol if you use predictive typing to insert a figure.

      I was told by a European-born translator that "this is correct" and that ISO and other standards call for a space to be inserted before those symbols in ENGLISH!

      My issue is that in 25 years of editing and reading technical and journalistic texts in English -- and still today -- I have never seen spaces inserted before those symbols unless the text was written by a non-native speaker who doesn't know English conventions and even inserts spaces before colons, question marks and the like.

      I have checked several English style manuals, and none of them insert a space before those symbols. One of them even explicitly states that those symbols are an exception to inserting a space between a numerical value and its unit of measurement.

      Plus, no client ever asks for it. Plus, if editors find the space, they remove it.

      Another European of the "if the international standards associations say it, it must be true" mentality accuses me of preferring to live in "splendid isolation" by not inserting those spaces. But to me this is like telling a native English speaker he's living in "splendid isolation" because he insists on saying, "I look forward to seeing you," instead of, "I look forward to see you," just because that's what a typical European says.

      Any thoughts on this issue of inserting spaces before % and ??

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
        Being European I cannot answer your question but there is something else I have been wondering about. Inserting two spaces between sentences, is that a US standard, or just a bad habit perhaps?

        Thanks

        Jiri

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
          Inserting two spaces between sentences is a throwback to the old days of typewriters due to the uniform space between characters on those machines. I was taught in school to type two spaces, and I still do so in personal correspondence, but I use only one space when translating.

          Jamie