Re: almost

  • Petr
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
      Pripadne s "konecne":
      Uz tam konecne budeme?
      Jsi uz konecne hotova?
      P.A.

      > I agree with Valarie's assessment.
      >
      > Consider this: On long car trips, children start to lose patience after a couple of hours, and the classic question they ask over and over, in a whining voice, is, "Are we almost there?!"
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Jul 29, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
      >
      > > Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect
      > >
      > > Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you almost ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to waste
      > >
      > > Jiri

    • Mark Gillis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2013
        This is in a similar vein, but I think "konecne" suggests a higher level of impatience, as would the English equivalent, "finally". It can be used not really as a question, but as a post facto criticism of someone who clearly is ready but you want to make clear to them that you are angry they took so long in getting there.