almost

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
      Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect

      Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you almost ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to waste

      Jiri

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
        With the "almost" they're just conveying more impatience. Very common
        in the UK, too.

        "Are you ready?" could sound as if you're not bothered, whereas "Are
        you almost ready?"
        makes it clearer that you're wanting to get going.

        Valerie

        On 29.07.2013 23:31, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
        > Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect
        >
        > Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you almost
        > ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to
        > waste
        >
        > Jiri

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
          I suppose the logic is "I can see you're not actually ready, so I'll
          ask you if you're almost ready, with the strong insinuation that you
          ought to be ready".

          On 30.07.2013 00:49, Valerie Talacko wrote:
          > With the "almost" they're just conveying more impatience. Very common
          > in the UK, too.
          >
          > "Are you ready?" could sound as if you're not bothered, whereas "Are
          > you almost ready?"
          > makes it clearer that you're wanting to get going.
          >
          > Valerie
          >
          > On 29.07.2013 23:31, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
          >> Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect
          >>
          >> Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you
          >> almost
          >> ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to
          >> waste
          >>
          >> Jiri

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
            I did not see any logic in it but now it makes better sense to me, thanks

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
              I agree with Valarie's assessment.

              Consider this: On long car trips, children start to lose patience after a couple of hours, and the classic question they ask over and over, in a whining voice, is, "Are we almost there?!"

              Jamie

              On Jul 29, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

              > Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect
              >
              > Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you almost ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to waste
              >
              > Jiri

            • Petr
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                Aha, tak to je jako ceske "uz":
                Uz tam budeme?
                Jsi uz hotova? (Divadlo za chvili zacne a ona se musi porad jeste sminkovat).
                Petr A.

                > I agree with Valarie's assessment.
                >
                > Consider this: On long car trips, children start to lose patience after a couple of hours, and the classic question they ask over and over, in a whining voice, is, "Are we almost there?!"
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Jul 29, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
                >
                > > Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect
                > >
                > > Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you almost ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to waste
                > >
                > > Jiri

              • Petr
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                  Pripadne s "konecne":
                  Uz tam konecne budeme?
                  Jsi uz konecne hotova?
                  P.A.

                  > I agree with Valarie's assessment.
                  >
                  > Consider this: On long car trips, children start to lose patience after a couple of hours, and the classic question they ask over and over, in a whining voice, is, "Are we almost there?!"
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Jul 29, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is this common US usage, or is it just my friend's idiolect
                  > >
                  > > Instead of asking "Are you ready?" a person would ask "Are you almost ready?" even though the situation is urgent and there is no time to waste
                  > >
                  > > Jiri

                • Mark Gillis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 30, 2013
                    This is in a similar vein, but I think "konecne" suggests a higher level of impatience, as would the English equivalent, "finally". It can be used not really as a question, but as a post facto criticism of someone who clearly is ready but you want to make clear to them that you are angry they took so long in getting there.