Re: pustit

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
      To nip: v.intr. Chiefly British
      To move quickly; dart.
      http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nip

      e.g. nip off from work early, nip out for a quick pint, nip over to Jane's for a natter, nip round if you get a moment. Check out: nip across the pond.

      BR

      Melvyn

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
        Aha! Here nipping is a type of biting. Dogs and birds nip.

        Or a little bit of quick boozing.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
          OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)

          BR

          Melvyn

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
            Me too.

            Jamie

            On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Melvyn wrote:

            > OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)
            >
            > BR
            >
            > Melvyn
            >
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
            >> line.
            >>
            >> As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
            >> here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
            >> saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
            >> right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
            >> my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
            >> happen to be in a good mood.
            >>
            >> "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
            >> type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
            >>
            >> Hanka
            >>
            >> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> After you. (polite)
            >>>
            >>> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
            >>>
            >>> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
            >>>
            >>> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
            >>> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
            >>> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
            >>> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
            >>> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
            >>>
            >>> BR
            >>>
            >>> Melvyn

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
              I see it as a kind of shorthand method of "having done" with a situation. Like saying "please..." and motioning politely towards a vacated seat instead of launching into a long spiel. Still, I do take your point, Hannah. In a disciplined queueing culture we have to be explicit when we waive our rights.

              BR

              Melvyn