Re: [Czechlist] pustit

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
      I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."

      Jamie

      On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

      > Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".
      >
      > Valerie
      >
      > On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
      >> how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
      >> specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
      >> Thankls a lot
      >> Jiri

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
        After you. (polite)

        Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)

        You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

        This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something, e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"

        BR

        Melvyn

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
          That one would be so unintelligible in the US that the person would either take it as a sexual advance or maybe an invitation to have a drink.

          How does the verb "nip" apply to the situation?

          Jamie

          On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Melvyn wrote:

          > You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

        • Hannah Geiger
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
            I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
            line.

            As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
            here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
            saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
            right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
            my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
            happen to be in a good mood.

            "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
            type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.

            Hanka

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
              Sometimes in that situation I do say, "After you, Madame!" (with "madame" pronounced in the French way to make it comical). If it's a man, I usually say, "After you, senor!"

              Jamie

              On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Hannah Geiger wrote:

              > I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
              > line.
              >
              > As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
              > here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
              > saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
              > right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
              > my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
              > happen to be in a good mood.
              >
              > "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
              > type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
              >
              > Hanka
              >
              > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
              >
              >> After you. (polite)
              >>
              >> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
              >>
              >> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
              >>
              >> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
              >> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
              >> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
              >> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
              >> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
              >>
              >> BR
              >>
              >> Melvyn
              >>
              >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."
              >>>
              >>> Jamie

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                To nip: v.intr. Chiefly British
                To move quickly; dart.
                http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nip

                e.g. nip off from work early, nip out for a quick pint, nip over to Jane's for a natter, nip round if you get a moment. Check out: nip across the pond.

                BR

                Melvyn

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                  Aha! Here nipping is a type of biting. Dogs and birds nip.

                  Or a little bit of quick boozing.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                    OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)

                    BR

                    Melvyn

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                      Me too.

                      Jamie

                      On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                      > OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)
                      >
                      > BR
                      >
                      > Melvyn
                      >
                      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                      >> line.
                      >>
                      >> As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                      >> here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                      >> saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                      >> right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                      >> my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                      >> happen to be in a good mood.
                      >>
                      >> "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                      >> type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                      >>
                      >> Hanka
                      >>
                      >> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> After you. (polite)
                      >>>
                      >>> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                      >>>
                      >>> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                      >>>
                      >>> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                      >>> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                      >>> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                      >>> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                      >>> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                      >>>
                      >>> BR
                      >>>
                      >>> Melvyn

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                        I see it as a kind of shorthand method of "having done" with a situation. Like saying "please..." and motioning politely towards a vacated seat instead of launching into a long spiel. Still, I do take your point, Hannah. In a disciplined queueing culture we have to be explicit when we waive our rights.

                        BR

                        Melvyn