plodné ženy

  • Charles Stanford
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
      Hi Czechlisters.
      Can you use plodn� �eny in the sense of "women of child-bearing age". Does
      it not mean more that they are fertile (i.e. like Maria Theresa)

      Plodn� �eny by nem�ly b�hem studie s xxxx ot�hotn�t.

      Thanks for anything.
      Charlie

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
        Hi Charlie,
        I believe the term is 'of child-bearing potential'
        http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=113478

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

        > Hi Czechlisters.
        > Can you use plodné ¾eny in the sense of "women of child-bearing age". Does
        > it not mean more that they are fertile (i.e. like Maria Theresa)
        >
        > Plodné ¾eny by nemìly bìhem studie s xxxx otìhotnìt.
        >
        > Thanks for anything.
        > Charlie

      • Charles Stanford
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
          Yes, you are probably right about the age/potential Gerry, but plodné ženy
          suggests something slightly different doesn't it?

          On 24 July 2013 15:04, wustpisk <gerry.vickers@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi Charlie,
          > I believe the term is 'of child-bearing potential'
          > http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=113478
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford
          > <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Czechlisters.
          > > Can you use plodné ¾eny in the sense of "women of child-bearing age".
          > Does
          > > it not mean more that they are fertile (i.e. like Maria Theresa)
          > >
          > > Plodné ¾eny by nemìly bìhem studie s xxxx otìhotnìt.
          > >
          > > Thanks for anything.
          > > Charlie

          Charlie Stanford
          Telephone: +420 326 996 382
          +420 737 583 608
          Skype: charliestanfordtranslations

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
            I was working on some projects involving medical studies, and the person I was working with had years of expertise built up in this kind of medical language.

            Her translation of "plodne zeny" in this context was "women of childbearing potential", which sounds weird, but if you google it, you'll see that that's the term used.

            So your sentence would be "Women of childbearing potential should not become pregnant during the xxx study."

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
              Agreed - this is the most common English wording, AFAIK.

              Martin

              Dne 24.7.2013 16:54, James Kirchner napsal(a):

              > I was working on some projects involving medical studies, and the
              > person I was working with had years of expertise built up in this kind
              > of medical language.
              >
              > Her translation of "plodne zeny" in this context was "women of
              > childbearing potential", which sounds weird, but if you google it,
              > you'll see that that's the term used.
              >
              > So your sentence would be "Women of childbearing potential should not
              > become pregnant during the xxx study."
              >
              > Jamie
              >
              > On Jul 24, 2013, at 9:00 AM, Charles Stanford wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Czechlisters.
              > > Can you use plodne zeny in the sense of "women of child-bearing
              > age". Does
              > > it not mean more that they are fertile (i.e. like Maria Theresa)
              > >
              > > Plodne zeny by nemely behem studie s xxxx otehotnet.
              > >
              > > Thanks for anything.
              > > Charlie

            • Charles Stanford
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
                "Fertile women" can also be used in that sense in English too (women who
                are capable of conceiving), but it is a bit ambiguous and that is why
                "women of child-bearing age/potential" is used in more technical texts.
                Seems a bit weird to me that Czech does not have a more cut and dried term
                for "women who are capable of becoming pregnant" to avoid the ambiguity but
                I will take your collective word for it.
                Thank you to everyone for this.