Re: Czech please or Czech Please

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
      1. Czech please
      2. Czech please...
      3. Czech please!

      What does your logo look like? Not a Czech flag with a slice of the Union Jack instead of the blue wedge, I hope, cos that one is mine. I suppose you could cut out the wedge and insert an image of yourself busy on the computer or something. That might look nice.

      BR

      Melvyn

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:

      > Please take a vote:
      >
      > Czech please or Czech Please
      > for my new translation services logo?
      >
      > I happen to like both :-)
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Zuzka

    • Zuzana Benesova
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
        You may see the logo at www.czechplease.eu
        Resembles the Czech flag if you look from the right angle :-) I hope I'm not infringing your copyright - I was not aware of your logo ;-)

        PLEASE do not spend time looking at the page - far from ready!

        24. 7. 2013 v 12:41, Melvyn:

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
          It looks fine to me as it is. It's a typography and design issue and not an orthographic or capitalization issue.

          Since you have a logo that looks like a checkmark (a "tick" for you British), I suppose you're exploiting the pun on "Czech" and "check". This never works for me, because my mother taught me as a child to pronounce the "ch" in "Czech" as a velar fricative and not as a homonym with "check". That means that old jokes like "Czech it out!" don't sound in my head the way the geniuses who use them intend them to.

          But I think the logo looks good.

          Jamie

          On Jul 24, 2013, at 6:48 AM, Zuzana Benesova wrote:

          > You may see the logo at www.czechplease.eu
          > Resembles the Czech flag if you look from the right angle :-) I hope I'm not infringing your copyright - I was not aware of your logo ;-)
          >
          > PLEASE do not spend time looking at the page - far from ready!
          >

          > 24. 7. 2013 v 12:41, Melvyn:
          >
          >> 1. Czech please
          >> 2. Czech please...
          >> 3. Czech please!
          >>

          >> What does your logo look like? Not a Czech flag with a slice of the Union Jack instead of the blue wedge, I hope, cos that one is mine. I suppose you could cut out the wedge and insert an image of yourself busy on the computer or something. That might look nice.
          >>
          >> BR
          >>
          >> Melvyn
          >>
          >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Please take a vote:
          >>>
          >>> Czech please or Czech Please
          >>> for my new translation services logo?
          >>>
          >>> I happen to like both :-)
          >>>
          >>> Thanks in advance!
          >>>
          >>> Zuzka

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
            Yes, very nice logo. Very clever. Ticks all the right boxes.

            BR

            Melvyn

            > It looks fine to me as it is. It's a typography and design issue and not an orthographic or capitalization issue.
            >
            > Since you have a logo that looks like a checkmark (a "tick" for you British), I suppose you're exploiting the pun on "Czech" and "check". This never works for me, because my mother taught me as a child to pronounce the "ch" in "Czech" as a velar fricative and not as a homonym with "check". That means that old jokes like "Czech it out!" don't sound in my head the way the geniuses who use them intend them to.
            >
            > But I think the logo looks good.
            >
            > Jamie
            >
            > On Jul 24, 2013, at 6:48 AM, Zuzana Benesova wrote:
            >
            > > You may see the logo at www.czechplease.eu
            > > Resembles the Czech flag if you look from the right angle :-) I hope I'm not infringing your copyright - I was not aware of your logo ;-)
            > >
            > > PLEASE do not spend time looking at the page - far from ready!
            > >

            > > 24. 7. 2013 v 12:41, Melvyn:
            > >
            > >> 1. Czech please
            > >> 2. Czech please...
            > >> 3. Czech please!
            > >>

            > >> What does your logo look like? Not a Czech flag with a slice of the Union Jack instead of the blue wedge, I hope, cos that one is mine. I suppose you could cut out the wedge and insert an image of yourself busy on the computer or something. That might look nice.
            > >>
            > >> BR
            > >>
            > >> Melvyn

          • Hannah Geiger
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
              Zuzko, hezke to je,

              chci jen upozornit na veci jako napr. tohle:

              http://www.czechpleasecatering.com/

              Hanka

              On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

              > Yes, very nice logo. Very clever. Ticks all the right boxes.
              >
              > BR
              >
              > Melvyn

              > > It looks fine to me as it is. It's a typography and design issue and
              > not an orthographic or capitalization issue.
              > >
              > > Since you have a logo that looks like a checkmark (a "tick" for you
              > British), I suppose you're exploiting the pun on "Czech" and "check". This
              > never works for me, because my mother taught me as a child to pronounce the
              > "ch" in "Czech" as a velar fricative and not as a homonym with "check".
              > That means that old jokes like "Czech it out!" don't sound in my head the
              > way the geniuses who use them intend them to.
              > >
              > > But I think the logo looks good.
              > >
              > > Jamie
              > >
              > > On Jul 24, 2013, at 6:48 AM, Zuzana Benesova wrote:
              > >
              > > > You may see the logo at www.czechplease.eu
              > > > Resembles the Czech flag if you look from the right angle :-) I hope
              > I'm not infringing your copyright - I was not aware of your logo ;-)
              > > >
              > > > PLEASE do not spend time looking at the page - far from ready!
              > > >

              > > > 24. 7. 2013 v 12:41, Melvyn:

              > Union Jack instead of the blue wedge, I hope, cos that one is mine. I
              > suppose you could cut out the wedge and insert an image of yourself busy on
              > the computer or something. That might look nice.

            • Zuzana Benesova
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
                Yes, I know I will be competing against food lovers :-)

                And yes, the "check" pun is included but, I hope, not too prominent.

                OK, I will not capitalize the "please" if it looks ok to you. Thanks a lot!

                Zuzka

                24. 7. 2013 v 15:53, Hannah Geiger:

              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, I know I will be competing against food lovers :-)

                  There is a foodie Czech Please page on Facebook too. You have to beef up your presence on Facebook.

                  I compete with a Melvyn Clarke DIY shop in south London. This kind of place:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo
                  Tough world.

                  > And yes, the "check" pun is included but, I hope, not too prominent.

                  Awesome Austenesque subtlety. :-)

                  BR

                  Melvyn
                • Zuzana Benesova
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                    Thanks for the laugh, Melvyn!

                    I have no presence on FB so far, shame on me. Have to brace myself and face it one day soon. Btw, the foodie took Czech Please on Twitter, too. Well, let's hope my clients like good food as well as good translations, the blog is not bad at all, actually :-)

                    And Jane Austen is my favourite, of course ;-)

                    Zuzka

                    25. 7. 2013 v 12:52, Melvyn:

                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Yes, I know I will be competing against food lovers :-)
                    >
                    > There is a foodie Czech Please page on Facebook too. You have to beef up your presence on Facebook.
                    >
                    > I compete with a Melvyn Clarke DIY shop in south London. This kind of place:
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo
                    > Tough world.
                    >

                    >> And yes, the "check" pun is included but, I hope, not too prominent.
                    >
                    > Awesome Austenesque subtlety. :-)
                    >
                    > BR
                    >
                    > Melvyn

                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013

                      You must steel yourself if only so that you can join in the fun on Facebook Czechlist, where we now have some very illustrious and erudite contributors. https://www.facebook.com/groups/188751454462/

                      >Btw, the foodie took Czech Please on Twitter, too. Well, let's
                      hope my clients like good food as well as good translations, the blog is not bad
                      at all, actually :-)

                      Your clients will all be acting like they can smell grandma's cooking: "I must obey, I must obey...". :-) Preklady hladsi nez babicciny palacinky.

                      >And Jane Austen is my favourite, of course ;-)

                      It definitely shows. :-) As does your fine sense of postmodern self-irony.
                      Pride and Prejudice and Zombies has its moments and I am so looking forward to getting my hands on the prequel, or at least the new ten pound note: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/shortcuts/2013/jul/25/jane-austen-quotation-10-note .

                      But who is the Czech Austenova? I have searched high and low. Marie Pujmanova is a bit umm strident :-x, Marie Majerova has not really got the hang of understatement and Bozena Nemcova just does not call the servants by their surnames. Do let me know at the Czech Literature Portal, where I now do a stint as translator and editor: https://www.facebook.com/CzechLiteraturePortal/posts/587573204628937 . When you get round to joining FB, that is. :-)

                      BR

                      Melvyn
                    • Pilucha, Jiri
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                        ...and the other way around, who are the English Bozena Nemcova and Marie Pujmanova?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

                          > ...and the other way around, who are the English Bozena Nemcova and Marie Pujmanova?

                          In the Coasts of Bohemia Edith Pargeter writes: "Bozena Nemcova was by the standards of the time an extraordinarily emancipated woman, a kind of George Eliot figure".

                          George Eliot (Mary Anne or Marian Evans) visited Prague four years before Nemcova's death, I believe. A chance encounter between the two would make a fine radio play IMO.

                          Perhaps _very_ loose parallels could be drawn with Elizabeth Gaskell??? Some similarities in their subject matter?

                          But my guess is that closer parallels will be found with writers in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Jamaica, America....

                          BR

                          Melvyn
                        • Zuzana Benesova
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                            25. 7. 2013 v 19:45, Melvyn:

                            > But who is the Czech Austenova?

                            Tough one.
                            No Czech woman writer comes close I think.
                            Apart from Nemcova, some elements of likeness maybe in
                            M. D. Rettigova - but not a good storyteller
                            Tereza Novakova - but too glum, more like Wuthering Heights
                            Julius Zeyer - but he's not a woman, of course - although I heard someone suggested he was gay. But perhaps he just comes to my mind because I wrote my thesis on him. Anyway, I should reread both Austen and Zeyer, maybe next winter :-)

                            And thanks for the invitation to Facebook, I'll see what I can do ;-)

                            Zuzka
                          • Melvyn
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                              Wow, you studied Zeyer, Zuzana. What was your thesis title? I did a module on the Czech Decadents with Robert Pynsent at SSEES in London and laughed all the way through Inultus. Quite enjoyed Dum U tonouci hvezdy too. Have promised myself to read some more Zeyer sometime and it's right up there on my to-do list between "get into Kate Bush lyrics" and "get a proper haircut". Now have to add Tereza Novakova and Magdalena Dobromila Rettigova (Wikipedia: "muze byt pokladana za zakladatelku ceske cervene knihovny"... wahay, more than just cookbooks, eh?) :-O

                              FWIW in Homosexualita v dejinach ceske kultury we read: Na explicitni rovine nenachazi se ani v jeho literarnim dile ani v jeho egodokumentech ani ve svedectvich jeho pratel nic, co by pojmenovavalo nejakou homosexualni zkusenost ci homosexualni citeni. Avsak tytez egodokumenty a tataz svedectvi ukazuji az modelove na to, co Marita Keilson-Lauritz nazyva "homoerotickou konstelaci"... it would hardly surprise me or concern me, but in any case so many writers in those days referred to some unspeakable (and Zeyer does rank quite high on the old nevyslovitelny frequency scale) "thorn in the flesh" (to use Kierkegaard's expression) that you can never really be sure if they just had some amusing fetish or something (like Jane Austen's thing for bonnets).

                              :-)

                              Melvyn

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:

                              > 25. 7. 2013 v 19:45, Melvyn:
                              >
                              > > But who is the Czech Austenova?
                              >

                              > Tough one.
                              > No Czech woman writer comes close I think.
                              > Apart from Nemcova, some elements of likeness maybe in
                              > M. D. Rettigova - but not a good storyteller
                              > Tereza Novakova - but too glum, more like Wuthering Heights
                              > Julius Zeyer - but he's not a woman, of course - although I heard someone suggested he was gay. But perhaps he just comes to my mind because I wrote my thesis on him. Anyway, I should reread both Austen and Zeyer, maybe next winter :-)
                              >
                              > And thanks for the invitation to Facebook, I'll see what I can do ;-)
                              >
                              > Zuzka

                            • Zuzana Benesova
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                                Wow, you studied with Pynsent, Melvyn. And Inultus made you laugh- poor Zeyer. My thesis was on poetika Obnovenych obrazu. I basically concluded 1) he treated his topics in a way that resembles oral tradition and 2) why not use his works as an introduction to (even) old(er) literature in school? (I was at the Faculty of Education :-)) I don't really care about his being gay or otherwise, even though I'm pretty sure he experienced a great deal of frustration.
                                Tereza Novakova is waay off mark as for the Czech Jane Austen, I obviously did too much contract translation on Thursday :-) Eliska Krasnohorska (mainly Svehlavicka) was the name I was searching for. As for Rettigova, the cookbook is the best, but if you want a laugh, go for it!

                                You have the most awesome to-do list! Kate Bush - another one of my favourites..

                                Zuzka

                                27. 7. 2013 v 12:35, Melvyn:

                                > Wow, you studied Zeyer, Zuzana. What was your thesis title? I did a module on the Czech Decadents with Robert Pynsent at SSEES in London and laughed all the way through Inultus. Quite enjoyed Dum U tonouci hvezdy too. Have promised myself to read some more Zeyer sometime and it's right up there on my to-do list between "get into Kate Bush lyrics" and "get a proper haircut". Now have to add Tereza Novakova and Magdalena Dobromila Rettigova (Wikipedia: "muze byt pokladana za zakladatelku ceske cervene knihovny"... wahay, more than just cookbooks, eh?) :-O
                                >
                                > FWIW in Homosexualita v dejinach ceske kultury we read: Na explicitni rovine nenachazi se ani v jeho literarnim dile ani v jeho egodokumentech ani ve svedectvich jeho pratel nic, co by pojmenovavalo nejakou homosexualni zkusenost ci homosexualni citeni. Avsak tytez egodokumenty a tataz svedectvi ukazuji az modelove na to, co Marita Keilson-Lauritz nazyva "homoerotickou konstelaci"... it would hardly surprise me or concern me, but in any case so many writers in those days referred to some unspeakable (and Zeyer does rank quite high on the old nevyslovitelny frequency scale) "thorn in the flesh" (to use Kierkegaard's expression) that you can never really be sure if they just had some amusing fetish or something (like Jane Austen's thing for bonnets).
                                >
                                > :-)
                                >
                                > Melvyn
                                >
                                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:
                                >>

                                >> 25. 7. 2013 v 19:45, Melvyn:
                                >>
                                >>> But who is the Czech Austenova?
                                >>

                                >> Tough one.
                                >> No Czech woman writer comes close I think.
                                >> Apart from Nemcova, some elements of likeness maybe in
                                >> M. D. Rettigova - but not a good storyteller
                                >> Tereza Novakova - but too glum, more like Wuthering Heights
                                >> Julius Zeyer - but he's not a woman, of course - although I heard someone suggested he was gay. But perhaps he just comes to my mind because I wrote my thesis on him. Anyway, I should reread both Austen and Zeyer, maybe next winter :-)
                                >>
                                >> And thanks for the invitation to Facebook, I'll see what I can do ;-)
                                >>
                                >> Zuzka
                              • Melvyn
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                                  >Wow, you studied with Pynsent, Melvyn.

                                  His outspoken humour can be quite amusing for about ten minutes, Zuzka. I studied with him for three years.

                                  > And Inultus made you laugh- poor Zeyer.

                                  Well, I enjoy camp gothic melodrama as much as anybody, but after a point you have to laugh or cry. :_O

                                  >My thesis was on poetika Obnovenych obrazu. I basically concluded 1) he treated his topics in a way that resembles oral tradition and 2) why not use his works as an introduction to (even) old(er) literature in school? (I was at the Faculty of Education :-))

                                  This is interesting stuff. Which works of his did you have in mind? So much is available online these days. Is Plojhar worth the effort?

                                  >I don't really care about his being gay or otherwise, even
                                  though I'm pretty sure he experienced a great deal of frustration.

                                  The fin de siecle was a period of social, religious and psychological ferment and frustration for so many writers at so many levels IMO. Spirituality, sexuality and ethnic and cultural identity often seem to somehow reflect one another. My impression is that Zeyer had eclectic tastes and experimented in using one sphere to mirror and express another. Bit of an all-rounder, to use a cricketing expression.

                                  Recently I read The Cambridge Guide to the Fin de Siecle. Interesting to compare the Czech "decadents" with their British and Irish counterparts. Some interesting-looking feminist works written at the time too: "between 1883 and 1900 over 100 novels were written about the New Woman, and a large proportion of these came into print in the first half of the 1890s...a whole flood of novels and short stories by
                                  (amongst others) Mona Caird, Ella Hepworth Dixon, Edith Arnold, George
                                  Egerton and `Iota' would reach a popular market."

                                  >Tereza Novakova is waay off mark as for the Czech Jane Austen, I obviously did
                                  too much contract translation on Thursday :-) Eliska Krasnohorska (mainly
                                  Svehlavicka) was the name I was searching for.

                                  Svehlavicka - hmmm a "girl's novel". Well, I always used to enjoy reading my sister's comics. :-)

                                  Recently read Nas maly, malicky svet by Jaromira Kolarova, another writer in that genre. Sometimes amusing, sometimes hard-nosed depictions of working class life. Brilliant portrayal of her mother, who did not rate young Jaromira's intelligence very highly. I have a good quote from her for those of you who can face Facebook.
                                  https://www.facebook.com/zehrovak/posts/10152761324920626

                                  > As for Rettigova, the cookbook is
                                  the best, but if you want a laugh, go for it!

                                  Somebody clue me in here. :-) What might I possibly cope with from Mrs Rettigova's cervena knihovna?

                                  >You have the most awesome to-do list! Kate Bush - another one of my favourites..

                                  Okaaay. Must brush up my Kate Bush impersonations. =:-O

                                  BR

                                  Melvyn
                                • Zuzana Benesova
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 9, 2013
                                    Hi Melvyn, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. These past two weeks were a blur.

                                    >> And Inultus made you laugh- poor Zeyer.
                                    >
                                    > Well, I enjoy camp gothic melodrama as much as anybody, but after a point you have to laugh or cry. :_O
                                    I completely see your point. I'm pretty sure I would not have the patience to read all (!) of his works today and even wonder how I ever managed to :-)

                                    >> My thesis was on poetika Obnovenych obrazu. I basically concluded 1) he treated his topics in a way that resembles oral tradition and 2) why not use his works as an introduction to (even) old(er) literature in school? (I was at the Faculty of Education :-))
                                    >
                                    > This is interesting stuff. Which works of his did you have in mind?
                                    He published three volumes of "Obnovene obrazy" but the topic is wider. For my thesis, I settled for "anything inspired by a culture distant in time and location and lacking obvious autobiographic elements". Including Inultus.

                                    > So much is available online these days. Is Plojhar worth the effort?
                                    Plojhar's worth a try, if anything. What I really enjoyed however was trying to understand his method/approach when re-telling old legends, tales, even a saga. The melodrama is a big part of it.

                                    >> I don't really care about his being gay or otherwise, even
                                    > though I'm pretty sure he experienced a great deal of frustration.
                                    >
                                    > The fin de siecle was a period of social, religious and psychological ferment and frustration for so many writers at so many levels IMO. Spirituality, sexuality and ethnic and cultural identity often seem to somehow reflect one another. My impression is that Zeyer had eclectic tastes and experimented in using one sphere to mirror and express another. Bit of an all-rounder, to use a cricketing expression.
                                    Yes, very eclectic indeed :-) And yes, writing was his way of coping with life (i.e. therapy) and he struggled to live in a way that would allow him to write. And wrote because he could not live a life he would have (so vaguely) desired. If he could, he'd have to find something else to desire in vain. Obsessed with traveling to distant places to the point of begging for money. Nearly :-) Absolutely could not separate himself from the fiction or step away I believe. He definitely wanted to be somewhere else, live in a different time, wanted to be situated differently - and yes, even desired a different religion maybe. Oh, and his relationships were never satisfactory, either. Hard to tell which mirrors which in his works. I sort of suspect Freud would have a lot to say about his mother, to start with :-)

                                    > Recently I read The Cambridge Guide to the Fin de Siecle. Interesting to compare the Czech "decadents" with their British and Irish counterparts. Some interesting-looking feminist works written at the time too: "between 1883 and 1900 over 100 novels were written about the New Woman, and a large proportion of these came into print in the first half of the 1890s...a whole flood of novels and short stories by
                                    > (amongst others) Mona Caird, Ella Hepworth Dixon, Edith Arnold, George
                                    > Egerton and `Iota' would reach a popular market."
                                    Interesting. Going on my own to-do list. What would you recommend for a starter?

                                    >> As for Rettigova, the cookbook is
                                    > the best, but if you want a laugh, go for it!
                                    >
                                    > Somebody clue me in here. :-) What might I possibly cope with from Mrs Rettigova's cervena knihovna?
                                    No idea, I could not cope with her - but might give it a try again to see if my perspective has changed :-) Maybe I'll contribute a quote to your FB page then.

                                    Have a great weekend!
                                    Zuzka

                                  • Melvyn
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 14, 2013
                                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:
                                      > These past two weeks were a blur.

                                      Hello Zuzka,

                                      Me, I've been on my hols in the Giant Mountains. Passed through your neck of the woods. Very nice area.

                                      >The melodrama is a big part of it.

                                      Okay. Melodrama plus folk narrative. Reminds me of Erben.

                                      >Obsessed with
                                      traveling to distant places to the point of begging for money. Nearly :-)

                                      A nineteenth century Kerouac? Check out George Borrow. The Romany Rye. He was restless and travelled to exotic places with the Romani, learning their language among many others. Still popular when I was young but now strangely neglected.

                                      >>short stories by
                                      > (amongst others) Mona Caird, Ella Hepworth Dixon, Edith Arnold, George
                                      > Egerton and `Iota' would reach a popular market."

                                      >Interesting. Going on my own to-do list. What would you recommend for a starter?

                                      My guess is that they all have something to offer. I enjoy just reading down the contents pages and imagining the stories. :-) This is a problem of mine. I am not a fast reader because I am a dreadful day-dreamer. I often just read a couple of pages and then spend all my time imagining how the story will continue.

                                      Actually, Michal Ajvaz once wrote a short story that just consisted of a contents page for an imaginary novel with chapter titles that suggested strange and gripping twists and turns. Best novel I have never read.

                                      Anyway, having dipped into several of them, I hesitate to tell you my favourite :-) as my tastes are probably a bit off the beaten track. For example, I got into an early 19th century science fiction work by Jane Loudon (nee Webb) entitled The Mummy, set in the 22nd century, which will not be everybody's cup of tea. Similarities with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and her post-apocalyptical The Last Man (which I also enjoyed).

                                      "The ladies were all arrayed in loose trowsers, over which hung
                                      drapery in graceful folds; and most of them carried on their heads,
                                      streams of lighted gas forced by capillary tubes, into plumes, fleurs de-lis, or in short any form the wearer pleased; which jets de feu had an uncommonly chaste and elegant effect."

                                      Mail is delivered by cannon balls, which are shot into large nets erected in each village. Your original net-based hotmail - probably more reliable too.

                                      When an agricultural and horticultural expert read her futuristic description of a steam lawn mower and a mechanical milking machine he tracked her down and proposed to her. Name of Loudon. So she ended up writing gardening books.

                                      Mona Caird writes with verve and vigour. I got into her Romance of the Moors and am very much enjoying it. None of those silly bonnet fixations or shadowy servants without first names:

                                      "A maid-servant going up the street with a
                                      parcel from the grocer's, glanced admiringly
                                      at the stalwart young farmer. The Doctor
                                      caught the glance and smiled, though not
                                      without a faint pang of envy far away down
                                      in his soul. The young fellow was aggres-
                                      sively handsome, while Dr. Hislop was fair,
                                      irregular of feature and put together in-
                                      accurately."

                                      Top-notch writing. Makes me wonder just how many non-canon ripping yarns are waiting out there to be discovered.

                                      A couple of recommended pdfs will be cannonballing their way to you in the not too remote future.

                                      So okay next on my list is definitely something exotic and Freudian by Julius Zeyer. Kate Bush will just have to wait a little longer.

                                      Regards,

                                      Melvyn