Re: [Czechlist] pustit

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
      No, we also cut into the line when it's innocent, but we also take cuts, which is more sinister.

      I don't think we talk any more literally than Northeasterners. In fact, except for the Thurston Howell III types, I always found Northeasterners to be blunt to a degree that Midwesterners find comical and occasionally a little shocking, but not off-putting.

      Jamie

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
        Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".

        Valerie

        On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
        > how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
        > specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
        > Thankls a lot
        > Jiri

      • Mark Gillis
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
          A more slangy version (at least in America) is "let someone cut in front of you".

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
            I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."

            Jamie

            On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

            > Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".
            >
            > Valerie
            >
            > On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
            >> how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
            >> specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
            >> Thankls a lot
            >> Jiri

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
              After you. (polite)

              Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)

              You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

              This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something, e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"

              BR

              Melvyn

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                That one would be so unintelligible in the US that the person would either take it as a sexual advance or maybe an invitation to have a drink.

                How does the verb "nip" apply to the situation?

                Jamie

                On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                > You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

              • Hannah Geiger
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                  I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                  line.

                  As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                  here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                  saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                  right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                  my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                  happen to be in a good mood.

                  "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                  type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.

                  Hanka

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                    Sometimes in that situation I do say, "After you, Madame!" (with "madame" pronounced in the French way to make it comical). If it's a man, I usually say, "After you, senor!"

                    Jamie

                    On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Hannah Geiger wrote:

                    > I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                    > line.
                    >
                    > As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                    > here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                    > saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                    > right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                    > my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                    > happen to be in a good mood.
                    >
                    > "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                    > type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                    >
                    > Hanka
                    >
                    > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> After you. (polite)
                    >>
                    >> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                    >>
                    >> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                    >>
                    >> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                    >> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                    >> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                    >> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                    >> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                    >>
                    >> BR
                    >>
                    >> Melvyn
                    >>
                    >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."
                    >>>
                    >>> Jamie

                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                      To nip: v.intr. Chiefly British
                      To move quickly; dart.
                      http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nip

                      e.g. nip off from work early, nip out for a quick pint, nip over to Jane's for a natter, nip round if you get a moment. Check out: nip across the pond.

                      BR

                      Melvyn

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                        Aha! Here nipping is a type of biting. Dogs and birds nip.

                        Or a little bit of quick boozing.

                        Jamie

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                          OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)

                          BR

                          Melvyn

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                            Me too.

                            Jamie

                            On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                            > OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)
                            >
                            > BR
                            >
                            > Melvyn
                            >
                            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                            >> line.
                            >>
                            >> As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                            >> here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                            >> saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                            >> right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                            >> my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                            >> happen to be in a good mood.
                            >>
                            >> "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                            >> type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                            >>
                            >> Hanka
                            >>
                            >> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> After you. (polite)
                            >>>
                            >>> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                            >>>
                            >>> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                            >>>
                            >>> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                            >>> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                            >>> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                            >>> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                            >>> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                            >>>
                            >>> BR
                            >>>
                            >>> Melvyn

                          • Melvyn
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                              I see it as a kind of shorthand method of "having done" with a situation. Like saying "please..." and motioning politely towards a vacated seat instead of launching into a long spiel. Still, I do take your point, Hannah. In a disciplined queueing culture we have to be explicit when we waive our rights.

                              BR

                              Melvyn