Re: pustit

  • Liz
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
      Right, you're from a part of the States where everything is said very literally. Note to self - do not ask a Midwesterner if I can steal them for a moment, as they'd likely respond by calling 911 to report a kidnapping in progress.

      - Liz

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
        No, we also cut into the line when it's innocent, but we also take cuts, which is more sinister.

        I don't think we talk any more literally than Northeasterners. In fact, except for the Thurston Howell III types, I always found Northeasterners to be blunt to a degree that Midwesterners find comical and occasionally a little shocking, but not off-putting.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
          Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".

          Valerie

          On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
          > how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
          > specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
          > Thankls a lot
          > Jiri

        • Mark Gillis
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
            A more slangy version (at least in America) is "let someone cut in front of you".

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
              I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."

              Jamie

              On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

              > Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".
              >
              > Valerie
              >
              > On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
              >> how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
              >> specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
              >> Thankls a lot
              >> Jiri

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                After you. (polite)

                Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)

                You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

                This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something, e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"

                BR

                Melvyn

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                  That one would be so unintelligible in the US that the person would either take it as a sexual advance or maybe an invitation to have a drink.

                  How does the verb "nip" apply to the situation?

                  Jamie

                  On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                  > You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

                • Hannah Geiger
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                    I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                    line.

                    As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                    here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                    saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                    right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                    my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                    happen to be in a good mood.

                    "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                    type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.

                    Hanka

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                      Sometimes in that situation I do say, "After you, Madame!" (with "madame" pronounced in the French way to make it comical). If it's a man, I usually say, "After you, senor!"

                      Jamie

                      On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Hannah Geiger wrote:

                      > I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                      > line.
                      >
                      > As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                      > here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                      > saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                      > right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                      > my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                      > happen to be in a good mood.
                      >
                      > "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                      > type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                      >
                      > Hanka
                      >
                      > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> After you. (polite)
                      >>
                      >> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                      >>
                      >> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                      >>
                      >> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                      >> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                      >> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                      >> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                      >> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                      >>
                      >> BR
                      >>
                      >> Melvyn
                      >>
                      >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."
                      >>>
                      >>> Jamie

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                        To nip: v.intr. Chiefly British
                        To move quickly; dart.
                        http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nip

                        e.g. nip off from work early, nip out for a quick pint, nip over to Jane's for a natter, nip round if you get a moment. Check out: nip across the pond.

                        BR

                        Melvyn

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                          Aha! Here nipping is a type of biting. Dogs and birds nip.

                          Or a little bit of quick boozing.

                          Jamie

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                            OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)

                            BR

                            Melvyn

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Me too.

                              Jamie

                              On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                              > OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)
                              >
                              > BR
                              >
                              > Melvyn
                              >
                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                              >> line.
                              >>
                              >> As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                              >> here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                              >> saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                              >> right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                              >> my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                              >> happen to be in a good mood.
                              >>
                              >> "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                              >> type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                              >>
                              >> Hanka
                              >>
                              >> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> After you. (polite)
                              >>>
                              >>> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                              >>>
                              >>> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                              >>>
                              >>> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                              >>> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                              >>> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                              >>> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                              >>> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                              >>>
                              >>> BR
                              >>>
                              >>> Melvyn

                            • Melvyn
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                                I see it as a kind of shorthand method of "having done" with a situation. Like saying "please..." and motioning politely towards a vacated seat instead of launching into a long spiel. Still, I do take your point, Hannah. In a disciplined queueing culture we have to be explicit when we waive our rights.

                                BR

                                Melvyn