Re: [Czechlist] pustit

  • Zuzana Benesova
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
      In a novel I just finished, someone asked "Do you mind if I barge the queue?". Set in early 20th century, but I rather like the expression :-)

      Cheers,
      Zuzka

      23. 7. 2013 v 20:00, James Kirchner:

      > If the person does it without being invited, he "takes cuts".
      >
      > In the supermarket line, I'd say, "You can go ahead of me."
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Liz wrote:
      >
      >> Or "Here, you can cut in front of me." (note: US English)
      >>
      >> Cheers
      >>
      >> Liz
      >>
      >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
      >>> specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
      >>> Thankls a lot
      >>> Jiri

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
        "Barge" or "barge in". Still used a lot today informally. Clearly the speaker is being self-deprecating here. Note also "barge into" and "barge in on" with rather different meanings.

        http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/barge+in

        BR

        Melvyn

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:

        > In a novel I just finished, someone asked "Do you mind if I barge the queue?". Set in early 20th century, but I rather like the expression :-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Zuzka
        >
        > 23. 7. 2013 v 20:00, James Kirchner:
        >
        > > If the person does it without being invited, he "takes cuts".
        > >
        > > In the supermarket line, I'd say, "You can go ahead of me."
        > >
        > > Jamie
        > >
        > > On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Liz wrote:
        > >
        > >> Or "Here, you can cut in front of me." (note: US English)
        > >>
        > >> Cheers
        > >>
        > >> Liz

      • Liz
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
          Right, you're from a part of the States where everything is said very literally. Note to self - do not ask a Midwesterner if I can steal them for a moment, as they'd likely respond by calling 911 to report a kidnapping in progress.

          - Liz

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 23, 2013
            No, we also cut into the line when it's innocent, but we also take cuts, which is more sinister.

            I don't think we talk any more literally than Northeasterners. In fact, except for the Thurston Howell III types, I always found Northeasterners to be blunt to a degree that Midwesterners find comical and occasionally a little shocking, but not off-putting.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
              Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".

              Valerie

              On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
              > how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
              > specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
              > Thankls a lot
              > Jiri

            • Mark Gillis
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                A more slangy version (at least in America) is "let someone cut in front of you".

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                  I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."

                  Jamie

                  On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                  > Only just seen this, but I'd say "I'll let you go first".
                  >
                  > Valerie
                  >
                  > On 23.07.2013 19:18, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
                  >> how would you best say "pustit nekoho ve fronte" please
                  >> specifically: "Pojdte, pustim vas."
                  >> Thankls a lot
                  >> Jiri

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                    After you. (polite)

                    Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)

                    You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

                    This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something, e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"

                    BR

                    Melvyn

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                      That one would be so unintelligible in the US that the person would either take it as a sexual advance or maybe an invitation to have a drink.

                      How does the verb "nip" apply to the situation?

                      Jamie

                      On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                      > You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)

                    • Hannah Geiger
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                        I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                        line.

                        As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                        here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                        saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                        right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                        my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                        happen to be in a good mood.

                        "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                        type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.

                        Hanka

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                          Sometimes in that situation I do say, "After you, Madame!" (with "madame" pronounced in the French way to make it comical). If it's a man, I usually say, "After you, senor!"

                          Jamie

                          On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Hannah Geiger wrote:

                          > I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                          > line.
                          >
                          > As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                          > here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                          > saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                          > right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                          > my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                          > happen to be in a good mood.
                          >
                          > "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                          > type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                          >
                          > Hanka
                          >
                          > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> After you. (polite)
                          >>
                          >> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                          >>
                          >> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                          >>
                          >> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                          >> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                          >> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                          >> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                          >> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                          >>
                          >> BR
                          >>
                          >> Melvyn
                          >>
                          >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@...> wrote:
                          >>>
                          >>> I usually say, "Please go ahead of me."
                          >>>
                          >>> Jamie

                        • Melvyn
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                            To nip: v.intr. Chiefly British
                            To move quickly; dart.
                            http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nip

                            e.g. nip off from work early, nip out for a quick pint, nip over to Jane's for a natter, nip round if you get a moment. Check out: nip across the pond.

                            BR

                            Melvyn

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Aha! Here nipping is a type of biting. Dogs and birds nip.

                              Or a little bit of quick boozing.

                              Jamie

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                                OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)

                                BR

                                Melvyn

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                                  Me too.

                                  Jamie

                                  On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                                  > OK it is formal, but then we do sometimes act formally even in informal situations, with gracious bows and gestures. Well, I do. :-)
                                  >
                                  > BR
                                  >
                                  > Melvyn
                                  >
                                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I"n my view, the "after you" does not apply well to people standing in
                                  >> line.
                                  >>
                                  >> As a rule, people are generally were sensitive to the fact that "they were
                                  >> here first", so "nekoho pust'it" means looking to the person behind me and
                                  >> saying "go ahead", or "you can go ahead of me" etc. meaning that I have the
                                  >> right to be served first but am letting, allowing the other person to take
                                  >> my place, because he/she has a stick of butter and I have 20 items and
                                  >> happen to be in a good mood.
                                  >>
                                  >> "After you", appears to me as a situation when both people have the same
                                  >> type of "right", etc. reaching the door at the same time and so on.
                                  >>
                                  >> Hanka
                                  >>
                                  >> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> After you. (polite)
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Age before beauty. (jocular, use with caution)
                                  >>>
                                  >>> You wanna nip in then? (what I might actually say)
                                  >>>
                                  >>> This raises the issue of what we say when we offer a stranger something,
                                  >>> e.g. a seat on a bus. The textbooks often claim we don't say "please" on
                                  >>> its own. However, I read a survey was performed and many people insisted
                                  >>> they do actually say "please", but only as an intro for something else that
                                  >>> is often left unsaid. Like "please..." instead of "please!"
                                  >>>
                                  >>> BR
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Melvyn

                                • Melvyn
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 29, 2013
                                    I see it as a kind of shorthand method of "having done" with a situation. Like saying "please..." and motioning politely towards a vacated seat instead of launching into a long spiel. Still, I do take your point, Hannah. In a disciplined queueing culture we have to be explicit when we waive our rights.

                                    BR

                                    Melvyn