RE: [Czechlist] FB: Rozhlasovy fejeton

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 20, 2013
      I think an excellent US/British equivalent of what I would in Czech describe as radiofejeton could be late Alastair Cooke's Letters from America but 10 times shorter

      in a newspaper --although not the same-- a fejeton might be a sort of an opinion column rather than an investigative report, but as Matej has noted, not necessarily dealing with hot topical events.
      How about a "mini essay"?

      Jiri

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2013
        .... and although a newspaper fejeton is not exactly the same as an opinion column, speaking of the person I can find no better term for fejetonista than a columnist

        "Fejeton" can mean an investigative report, or at least it seems to me that way in some Czech magazines, but the content of this show is wrong for that.

        Shows of this type on TV or radio are generally called "magazine programs" in North America, I guess because they run a variety of stories similar to those that would be found in a general interest magazine.

        Jamie

        On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Melvyn wrote:

        > I'd be interested to hear your ideas on "rozhlasovy fejeton". No particular context, I'd just like a term to generally describe the kind of radio programme you will find here: http://hledani.rozhlas.cz/?query=fejeton . Feuilleton is not a word that is used much outside literary studies IMHO and I have never heard it used for opinion pieces on the radio.
        >
        > Ideas on FB so far include "radio feature", "radio feature story" (not the same thing IMHO) and "radio essay" (getting warmer, I think).
        >
        > BR
        >
        > Melvyn

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2013
          (Re Alistair Cooke): ... 5 times shorter, rather
          (3 minutes rather than 15 minutes)

          "Fejeton" can mean an investigative report, or at least it seems to me that way in some Czech magazines, but the content of this show is wrong for that.

          Shows of this type on TV or radio are generally called "magazine programs" in North America, I guess because they run a variety of stories similar to those that would be found in a general interest magazine.

          Jamie

          On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Melvyn wrote:

          > I'd be interested to hear your ideas on "rozhlasovy fejeton". No particular context, I'd just like a term to generally describe the kind of radio programme you will find here: http://hledani.rozhlas.cz/?query=fejeton . Feuilleton is not a word that is used much outside literary studies IMHO and I have never heard it used for opinion pieces on the radio.
          >
          > Ideas on FB so far include "radio feature", "radio feature story" (not the same thing IMHO) and "radio essay" (getting warmer, I think).
          >
          > BR
          >
          > Melvyn

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
            Many thanks to Jamie, Matej, Gerry and Jiri. I daresay most of your ideas will cover various kinds of fejetony and in practice IMO various overlapping categories are applied in the English-speaking world, e.g. opinion column, opinion piece, commentary piece, essay, mini-essay, part of a magazine programme - or no category is used at all and these slots are just referred to by some zippy title or not even that. Wikipedia notes: The radio equivalent of a feuilleton is a fixed position of a slot in the time layout of the transmitted programme and the use of different kinds of conventionalized signals, like the author's own voice, the same title of a slot, etc.

            Surely an editorial is written by an editor or at least someone nominally in charge. I agree that a columnist plays the role of a regular feuilleton writer, but this does not transfer so easily to the radio medium IMHO because a radio column first and foremost suggests to me at least a printed column about what is on the radio.

            I agree with Matej that the original fejeton had a very individual point of view and was not too weighty (Neruda wrote some nice ones too) but that nowadays it can refer to current events and/or whatever is on your mind at the moment. "The tone of its writing is usually reflexive, humorous, ironic and above all very subjective in drawing conclusions, assessments and comments on a particular subject." Wikipedia on feuilletons.

            Course, nowadays we all have blogs and everybody is a feuilletoniste, so the idea often remains implicit IMHO. :-O

            BR

            Melvyn