Re: [Czechlist] "whilst"

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
      Some clients have me translate technical documents originally written in Czech, German or French into "UK English", and from there they are translated into the rest of the world's languages. So there's no telling what the original language of a document was, and the potential for "Leitfehler" is enormous.

      Since the non-native English-speaking clients often don't have a clear understanding of the differences between UK and US English, what they often mean is "-our, -re, no slang, don't embarrass me". Sometimes the end clients or even the agencies are British, and for some reason they don't object to my version of UK English, which is my own English with the spelling changed and a few British terms inserted, where I know them. The British don't seem to complain and come back again and again.

      The most common complaint, which occurs once every three years or so, is that I used "American spelling". This means "-ize" instead of "-ise" in some words. I merely direct them to an Oxford UK dictionary, and they don't complain anymore. I would actually give them all the "-ise" they want, except that I have not found a spellchecker for UK English that rejects the "-ize" variants preferred in the Oxford dictionaries. If anyone knows of one, I'd be glad to know about it.

      Jamie