[Czechlist] "whilst"

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
      Is it safe to assume that "whilst" is altogether too archaic and poetic to be used in a modern text, such as a technical manual?

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
        In World Wide Words Michael Quinion describes "whilst" as more formal and literary than its counterpart in British English:

        rather than archaic. Bit old-school perhaps. Just the kind of word Patrick Moore would have used IMO. And a whole generation of technicans and scientists were brought up with him as a model.

        BR

        Melvyn

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
          Dozens of hits for "whilst" even in everyday chat in the Czechlist archives, so I'd better take back what I said about "old school".

          BR

          Melvyn

          > In World Wide Words Michael Quinion describes "whilst" as more formal and literary than its counterpart in British English:
          >
          > rather than archaic. Bit old-school perhaps. Just the kind of word Patrick Moore would have used IMO. And a whole generation of technicans and scientists were brought up with him as a model.
          >
          > BR
          >
          > Melvyn
          >

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is it safe to assume that "whilst" is altogether too archaic and poetic to be used in a modern text, such as a technical manual?
          > >
          > > Jamie

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
            Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I always use it - in fact I make a point of doing so.
            Similarly 'amongst'.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
              Unable to judge whether other Czechlisters are old fashioned or not but
              in technical (medical) manuals I translate everyday- about 80% of them
              being U.S.-based, some 20 % come from the U.K. or other countries -
              'whilst' is *extremely* rare.

              Martin

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                Don't forget that some of the UK ones could originally have been translated into English by Americans, just as some of the "American" ones (particularly the ones that refer to "the mains") are probably translations from Japanese or German done by British translators. :-)

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                  Agreed. I am assuming Americans would not choose 'UK English' as the
                  language of their documents but true, even Spanish tech writers and
                  German engineers write manuals these days, and these are quite likely to
                  use - or at least declare to use - UK English.

                  Martin

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                    Some clients have me translate technical documents originally written in Czech, German or French into "UK English", and from there they are translated into the rest of the world's languages. So there's no telling what the original language of a document was, and the potential for "Leitfehler" is enormous.

                    Since the non-native English-speaking clients often don't have a clear understanding of the differences between UK and US English, what they often mean is "-our, -re, no slang, don't embarrass me". Sometimes the end clients or even the agencies are British, and for some reason they don't object to my version of UK English, which is my own English with the spelling changed and a few British terms inserted, where I know them. The British don't seem to complain and come back again and again.

                    The most common complaint, which occurs once every three years or so, is that I used "American spelling". This means "-ize" instead of "-ise" in some words. I merely direct them to an Oxford UK dictionary, and they don't complain anymore. I would actually give them all the "-ise" they want, except that I have not found a spellchecker for UK English that rejects the "-ize" variants preferred in the Oxford dictionaries. If anyone knows of one, I'd be glad to know about it.

                    Jamie