RE: [Czechlist] Re: novinka/novelty

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2013
      Melvyn would you please elaborate on those other contexts that you have mentioned

      Amongst the shades of gray my perception would be that innovation is something you actively create or think up, whereas novelty is more of a phenomenon that occurs and you observe it. Is there something to it or is that a false impression?

      (Comments from others are also welcome, of course)

      Thanks
      Jiri

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2013
        When I think of innovation, I think of something that represents or is perceived to represent technological progress.

        In the 1980s, car door locks that were radio controlled from the key fob were a "novinka" that I would most definitely call an innovation, and not a novelty. An innovation is like a serious novinka that represents progress and will last a long time.

        Jamie

        On Jul 8, 2013, at 7:01 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

        > Melvyn would you please elaborate on those other contexts that you have mentioned
        >
        > Amongst the shades of gray my perception would be that innovation is something you actively create or think up, whereas novelty is more of a phenomenon that occurs and you observe it. Is there something to it or is that a false impression?
        >
        > (Comments from others are also welcome, of course)
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jiri

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
          > Amongst the shades of gray my perception would be that innovation is something you actively create or think up, whereas novelty is more of a phenomenon that occurs and you observe it. Is there something to it or is that a false impression?

          Here is my take. As applied to products and services I think innovation is definitely the more "serious" word, suggesting progress and development of some kind, whether technological, organizational or whatever. In comparison novelty is more "trivial", e.g. relating to play or fashion. So a new housepainting technique might be a marvellous innovation whereas painting your house bright mauve might be considered something of a novelty (unless you are an architect). Miniaturized computers and audio systems might be a wonderful innovation whereas talking cups and saucers might be the latest novelty this Christmas (though that may depend on what they say). Jamie's exploding cigars come immediately to mind when I hear the word novelty.

          In other non-product-related contexts novelty can just be a synonym for newness, freshness, unexpectedness etc, which is what you have in mind, I think, e.g. the novelty of the idea appealed to me.

          BR

          Melvyn
        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
            My 2 cents (that I forgot to send).

            Also agree with what Jamie says.

            Jiri - it's more that "innovation" carries with it the sense of a
            change that is intended to be useful, whereas "novelty" means something
            that captures the attention simply because it's something new to the
            recipient/viewer. If we're talking about a product, it may thus very
            well be something that has been created purely for that reason. That's
            why you wouldn't put "Novelty" on a new Lego product, because it's
            tantamount to writing "Buy this, suckers."

            You used to see "New and improved!" on boxes, but that's become
            something of a cliché so it's probably not much used any more. They do
            use "New improved recipe" though. Maybe also "New features".

            You can use "innovation" and "novelty" to refer to different aspects of
            the same thing. "It was decided that the children would make breakfast
            in the morning, and by the end of the weekend they all agreed the
            innovation was a good one. After a few more days, however, the novelty
            wore off and the children found it a chore."

            Valerie