Re: [Czechlist] Names

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 3, 2013
      On 3.7.2013 17:18, James Kirchner wrote:
      > 1. Does Czech law still restrict the names parents can give to their children? (Is it still possible for a baby to remain in the hospital for two weeks while his father fights to name her Paula instead of Pavla?)

      I believe there are still restrictions in place; however, they are more
      relaxed now. I seriously doubt that our overcrowded maternity hospitals
      would detain anyone for this reason.

      > 2. Is it possible to any degree to tell from a Czech person's first name their probable age and their probable socio-economic class? When I was there, I didn't think it was possible, but maybe Czechs noticed a subtlety that I didn't.

      Inspired by Freakonomics? :-)

      It is definitely not the case with most first names, since we still tend
      to choose from a rather limited set.

      That said, uncommon names might give a hint. For instance, upon hearing
      the first name Vanesa, Cindy, Mia or anything of this "imported" kind, I
      would imagine a young girl (let's say under 20). Esmeralda could be
      about 16 (the Esmeralda series was first broadcast in Czech TV in 1997),
      while Jenovefa would probably be a very old lady.

      I also have a politically incorrect feeling that a Natalie has a good
      chance of being a gypsy (even though I personally know a few
      exceptions), and this feeling has nothing to do with the much publicized
      arson case but rather with the names I used to hear around our neighborhood.

      Regarding Vietnamese kids, I'd say that they either have a Vietnamese
      name easily identifiable as such (Van, Tran, ...), or a common Czech
      name that does not hint anything.

      Now, my statistical sample is rather limited, so I would not be
      surprised if others disagree with any of the above.

      Josef

      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 3, 2013
        By the way, my daughter is Hana, as are both of her grandmothers ;-)

        4. 7. 2013 v 0:34, :