[Czechlist] Names

    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 3, 2013
      I've got a couple of questions that are not urgent for a translation:

      1. Does Czech law still restrict the names parents can give to their children? (Is it still possible for a baby to remain in the hospital for two weeks while his father fights to name her Paula instead of Pavla?)

      2. Is it possible to any degree to tell from a Czech person's first name their probable age and their probable socio-economic class? When I was there, I didn't think it was possible, but maybe Czechs noticed a subtlety that I didn't.

      Chinese people tell me that you can often tell the age of a Chinese person by their first name. About 10 years ago, I was told that a woman named Guilan was probably in her mid-30s then, to which another Chinese person said, "Yes, any of those flower names." Similarly, I'm told that in France a first name like Melodie or Elodie is often a tip-off to the person's age. Here I could look at my class roster one year and see that suddenly I was getting lots of students named after Barry Manilow songs.

      In the US, you can't tell anything about a person named Robert Smith or even Robert Grabowski. You don't know his age, his socio-economic class, and even with a last name like Grabowski, you can't even be sure of his race (where I live, many Grabowskis are African-American). It's the same with Ann Johnson or Mary Kowalczyk.

      However, if people see names like Kaylee Johnson, Madison Smith, Alfonso Johnson, Kwamtisia Johnson, Tanner Wyszniewski, people can generally tell their race, the type of neighborhood they live in, their parents' approximate level of education, etc. There are also certain first names that are obviously Catholic, obviously Jewish, etc. Most Jasons and Jennifers are middle-aged, etc. None of this is 100% certain, and sometimes you get thrown and find out Courtney McCracken is from Iraq or Muhammed Kennedy is from Yemen, but people can predict these things with amazing accuracy.

      Is the same thing somewhat possible in the Czech Republic or not?

      Also, does anyone notice that Czechs of Vietnamese origin tend to have certain types of names (such as names with no adjacent consonants, so lots of Annas, Veras and Tatianas but no Zdenkas or Stepankas)? I'm also curious about that, because I notice a pattern like that where I live.

      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 3, 2013
        By the way, my daughter is Hana, as are both of her grandmothers ;-)

        4. 7. 2013 v 0:34, :