Re: [Czechlist] Adjectives before and after the noun

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hi Jamie,

      I suppose this is permanent (before) versus temporary (after) [quality],
      in principle, while it might need stressing this is about -ed adjectives
      or irregular past participles used that way...

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jirka Bolech <jirka@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jamie,
        >
        > I suppose this is permanent (before) versus temporary (after) [quality],
        > in principle, while it might need stressing this is about -ed adjectives
        > or irregular past participles used that way...

        OK perhaps (?) because postposition can be used to express a temporary state:

        (quoting Practical English Usage by Michael Swan p 403)

        We often use participles after nouns in order to define or identify these nouns in the same way as we use identifying relative clauses
        e.g.
        We couldn't agree on any of the problems discussed
        = the problems that were discussed
        (NOT the discussed problems)

        Sometimes the meaning can be different. Involved problems are not the same as the problems involved. Just to make things awkward.

        BR

        Melvyn