Re: "movie"

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 1, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/onltv4c maybe in Queens they use different terminology

      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 1, 2013
        Please know that there's a phenomenon in the US that you British aren't fully aware of and don't understand well if it's explained to you. This is a belief among some less-intelligent sophisticates that if they use certain British terms or spellings instead of their American equivalents, it makes them sound more "sophisticated". They find this especially gratifying when they choose a British term that their readers or listeners are unlikely to understand, as I mentioned in our discussion of "suss out".

        So with more than 300 million people in the US, if you can google up 1 million US hits for some Britishism, it still represents just 0.003% of the population, or more likely less, because of serial offenders. Occasionally it represents someone's natural use of a term, but in very many cases, it is a matter of some fop's malicious attempt to make himself look superior to whomever he's inflicting the term on.

        Jamie