Re: [Czechlist] "tried-and-..."

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 22, 2013
      Gerry, various countries' spelling rules no big deal, except when countries decide to change their spelling in a way that is not in accordance with their country's dictionaries and that spellcheckers cannot deal with. Imagine if Americans began deciding to use spellings like "revize" and "advertize" in violation our own dictionaries and spellcheckers. Then you'd be in a pickle, but that's not the situation. (However, try finding a UK spellcheck dictionary that does not allow the Oxford-preferred spellings of various words.)

      Americans don't write the date backwards. When "July twelfth two thousand fourteen" is written "12 July 2014", THAT is backwards, because dates are spoken with the day second.

      Date and time formats are also no big deal (although my brain still ping-pongs when I have to figure out the relatively recent innovation of "12 a.m." and "12 p.m.").

      Again, in this case the issue only occurred to the client because of the particular expression I chose. If I had chosen the word "proven" instead of "tried-and-true", the client would never have noticed anything. The client's real issue is that he wants me to stop using that one particular expression, so I will, but I'll try to avoid the tautological one also.

      JK

      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 24, 2013
        Some of this doesn't make any sense.

        What is "qrowed"?

        The phrased "realised on the test" is almost certainly foreigner English.

        Jamie