[Czechlist] "tried-and-u"

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 20, 2013
      Let me pick people's brains, please.

      In North America, we use an expression "tried-and-true", meaning that something has gone through repeated use and testing and has shown itself to do what it's supposed to.

      "a tried-and-true method"
      "a tried-and-true solution"
      "a tried-and-true device"

      A client of a client of mine (a non-native English speaker) hates this expression for some reason, and wants me to say "tried-and-tested". To me, "tried-and-tested" sounds like tautological nonsense, as if people keep trying something and testing it but still can't tell if works.

      I'm looking for synonyms so that I don't have to use either of these "tried-and-..." expressions. Then neither the client's client or I will have anything to complain about.

      The only synonym I can think of right now is "proven" (a proven method, a proven machine, a proven device, etc.).

      Can anyone think of other synonyms?

      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 24, 2013
        Some of this doesn't make any sense.

        What is "qrowed"?

        The phrased "realised on the test" is almost certainly foreigner English.

        Jamie