Re: Poklasny

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
      poklasny, -eho m. (dr.) zamestnanec na statku dozirajici na praci;
      http://ssjc.ujc.cas.cz/search.php

      poklasny, -eho m. zrízenec na statku dohlizejici na delníky.
      http://bara.ujc.cas.cz/psjc/search.php
      Here you have 49 index cards with poklasny in context.

      BR

      Melvyn

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

      > I would say the bailiff definition you mention sounds rather like a
      > 'spravce statku' to me.
      >
      > I checked Wiki for overseer, this is what I found:
      >
      > A supervisor or superintendent (one who keeps watch over and directs the
      > work of others, especially laborers)
      > In law, a person appointed by the testator to supervise or assist the
      > executor(s) of a will. (Now obsolete)
      > Overseer of the Poor, an official who administered poor relief
      >
      > None of these seems to fit either. But on the other hand, will anyone
      > notice if you translate as whatever of the two?
      >
      > HTH
      > Martin
      >

      > Dne 20.6.2013 22:02, Melvyn napsal(a):
      > >
      > > My old Bohemian-English dictionary by Karel Jonas (1890) (found in a
      > > second-hand bookshop in Dorset) translates poklasny as "bailiff in
      > > husbandry" and "overseer".
      > >
      > > Under English common law, a "bailiff in husbandry" was one appointed
      > > by a private person to collect his rents and manage his estates.
      > > http://law-n-order.hubpages.com/hub/bailiff
      > >
      > > BR
      > >
      > > Melvyn
      > >
      > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "geigerhannah20" <hgeige@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dobrý den,
      > > >
      > > > mám dokument z roku 1898, povolání Poklasný
      > > >
      > > > mám dojem že je to někdo jako správce stodoly a dohližitel na žně,
      > > ale v jednom textu tohle popisují jako "přízemní" zaměstnání.
      > > >
      > > > Samozřejmě, že bych se ráda vyvarovala novodobých slov jako
      > > "manager" atd.
      > > >
      > > > Pokud tohle někdo zná, moc bych to ocenila.
      > > >
      > > > Děkuji
      > > >
      > > > Hanka

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

        > I checked Wiki for overseer, this is what I found:
        >
        > A supervisor or superintendent (one who keeps watch over and directs the work of others, especially laborers)

        That seems to fit here. Perhaps some of these farm overseers collected the rent too?

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013

          > That seems to fit here. Perhaps some of these farm overseers collected the rent too?

          Not unknown even in America:

          Absentee landlords owned or controlled most of Marietta's lands and
          overseers collected rent from tenants.
          http://archive.org/stream/StephenBrownPhdThesisLeoFrankCase1999/stephen-brown-leo-frank-case-august-1999_djvu.txt

          BR

          Melvyn
        • Hannah Geiger
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
            Moc dekuji (nemuzu psat na ceske klavesnici, strasne se to lame na cislice)
            - tyhle odkazy jsou pro mne uplne klenoty, ty jsou pro mne nove a udelal
            jste mi velikou radost, opravdu

            Hanka