Re: brume

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      Might sound very clever if you are French, but in English I would go along with 'Houses in the Mist'.

      BR

      Melvyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        It could be confused with "broom" somehow.

        Jamie

        On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Melvyn wrote:

        > Might sound very clever if you are French, but in English I would go along with 'Houses in the Mist'.
        >
        > BR
        >
        > Melvyn

      • Mike Trittipo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          It sounds mixed-up at best. I think I'd recognize it even if I were not
          fluent in French. It's OK in Scots, after all. But I suspect that some
          native English speakers might not recognize it, and to many native English
          speakers it would come off as comic: maybe like "Houses in the foggy, foggy
          dew," to quote from Once Upon a Mattress. ("I come from the land of the
          foggy, foggy dew.")

          On Jun 18 2013, Zuzana Benesova wrote:
          >I'd like your opinions on the word "brume".

          My client (an architect) fancies translating the nickname his project
          "Domy v mlze" as "Houses in brume." ... parts will
          protrude above a certain level as if above a low-lying fog. I've never
          heard of this word before and from my brief research it does not seem very
          common.

          On a blog, a photographer called his picture "Bovines in brume" but felt
          the need to add a dictionary definition of "brume" right below.

          What would "Houses in brume" sound like to you (esp. native speakers, that
          is)?

        • Zuzana Benesova
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            Thanks to all of you so far.

            This was my first impression also - it would sound weird. Thing is, the English version of their web (or any other, for that matter) presentation will certainly aim at an audience consisting of people who speak English but may not necessarily be native speakers of it. So if the word does not sound right for English natives it would be outright incomprehensible for the rest... I already advised the client against it and recommended that he should go with the good old mist instead :-)

            Thanks again and I will be pleased to hear from anyone else if interested.
            Zuzka

            18. 6. 2013 v 22:07, Mike Trittipo:

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
              That's the smartest thing to do.

              Although some people on the list know the word, I'll bet if I stood outside a building at one of the universities where I've taught and asked the first 50 people what "brume" meant, not more than 1 would understand the word. If I stood outside the English literature department, maybe 5 would know the word. Plus, I'd have to write the word down in order for them not to understand it as "broom".

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                Good to have some sense of proportion, Jamie :-)
                Thanks again.

                Luckily, the architect, although creative that way, is also rather sensible and will take the recommendation plus thank me profusely :-)

                Zuzka

                18. 6. 2013 v 22:37, James Kirchner: