[Czechlist] brume

  • Zuzana Benesova
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      Good evening to all,

      I'd like your opinions on the word "brume".

      My client (an architect) fancies translating the nickname his project "Domy v mlze" as "Houses in brume." He obviously found the word in a dictionary as a poetic term for fog, then asked my opinion, explaining there will be a large low-height structure of which only two(?) parts will protrude above a certain level as if above a low-lying fog. I've never heard of this word before and from my brief research it does not seem very common.

      On a blog, a photographer called his picture "Bovines in brume" but felt the need to add a dictionary definition of "brume" right below.

      What would "Houses in brume" sound like to you (esp. native speakers, that is)?

      Thanks,

      Zuzka
    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        It may be poetic (I had to look it up), but it sounds horrible.

        'Houses in the Mist' would sound better, IMO (like the film Gorillas in the Mist). However your architect may feel that if any Germans were reading it they might take it the wrong way.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:

        > Good evening to all,
        >
        > I'd like your opinions on the word "brume".
        >
        > My client (an architect) fancies translating the nickname his project "Domy v mlze" as "Houses in brume." He obviously found the word in a dictionary as a poetic term for fog, then asked my opinion, explaining there will be a large low-height structure of which only two(?) parts will protrude above a certain level as if above a low-lying fog. I've never heard of this word before and from my brief research it does not seem very common.
        >
        > On a blog, a photographer called his picture "Bovines in brume" but felt the need to add a dictionary definition of "brume" right below.
        >
        > What would "Houses in brume" sound like to you (esp. native speakers, that is)?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Zuzka

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          Might sound very clever if you are French, but in English I would go along with 'Houses in the Mist'.

          BR

          Melvyn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            It could be confused with "broom" somehow.

            Jamie

            On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Melvyn wrote:

            > Might sound very clever if you are French, but in English I would go along with 'Houses in the Mist'.
            >
            > BR
            >
            > Melvyn

          • Mike Trittipo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
              It sounds mixed-up at best. I think I'd recognize it even if I were not
              fluent in French. It's OK in Scots, after all. But I suspect that some
              native English speakers might not recognize it, and to many native English
              speakers it would come off as comic: maybe like "Houses in the foggy, foggy
              dew," to quote from Once Upon a Mattress. ("I come from the land of the
              foggy, foggy dew.")

              On Jun 18 2013, Zuzana Benesova wrote:
              >I'd like your opinions on the word "brume".

              My client (an architect) fancies translating the nickname his project
              "Domy v mlze" as "Houses in brume." ... parts will

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                Thanks to all of you so far.

                This was my first impression also - it would sound weird. Thing is, the English version of their web (or any other, for that matter) presentation will certainly aim at an audience consisting of people who speak English but may not necessarily be native speakers of it. So if the word does not sound right for English natives it would be outright incomprehensible for the rest... I already advised the client against it and recommended that he should go with the good old mist instead :-)

                Thanks again and I will be pleased to hear from anyone else if interested.
                Zuzka

                18. 6. 2013 v 22:07, Mike Trittipo:

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                  That's the smartest thing to do.

                  Although some people on the list know the word, I'll bet if I stood outside a building at one of the universities where I've taught and asked the first 50 people what "brume" meant, not more than 1 would understand the word. If I stood outside the English literature department, maybe 5 would know the word. Plus, I'd have to write the word down in order for them not to understand it as "broom".

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                    Good to have some sense of proportion, Jamie :-)
                    Thanks again.

                    Luckily, the architect, although creative that way, is also rather sensible and will take the recommendation plus thank me profusely :-)

                    Zuzka

                    18. 6. 2013 v 22:37, James Kirchner: