RE: [Czechlist] "the"

  • Kent Christopher Kasha
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
      Jamie, I don't doubt it, though The National is not one of them, and I am
      not sure that any other ones you can think of have all that much to do with
      a French influence, which was my point.

      We'll leave the destruction of the Detroit pop music industry for another
      day. I would (seriously) like to hear how the Canadian Parliament managed
      that, though I suppose I should be pleased they succeeded in something. When
      I was growing up all the radio stations were crap, but there was a late
      night show on CBC called Brave New Waves that played excellent music in a
      multitude of styles. Otherwise my siblings and I would gather around my
      brother's short wave radio and try to find stations that played anything
      other than the pabulum on the local airwaves.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
        I am a bit bewildered: A person says, within the context of a linguistic
        discussion, that a paper used to be called The Beaver.

        In reply, he gets this*: *

        *....**As for beavers, when the Canadian parliament was busy destroying the
        Detroit pop music industry and our local Windsor radio station along with
        it, the disk jockeys used to use the word "beaver" derisively when
        complying with local content laws. When putting on some crummy song they
        would not have played without being forced to by regulations, they would
        announce, "Here's another beaver!"*

        *
        *

        I lived in Canada and my observation was that if anything, Canadians are
        very afraid of the Americans.

        Jean Chretian in his (now famous) comment said: living next to the USA is
        like sleeping next to an elephant. You feel its every move.

        And I wonder, why is it necessary to be putting out the "beavers being
        crummy songs", "Canadian parliament destroying US pop music..... "

        Although I know that Jamie loves to voluntarily disclose lots and lots of
        information about himself which many may find quite interesting, I find it
        disruptive that someone from Detroit, half of which looks like Dresden
        after World War II bombings, says that the Canadian Parliament is
        destroying anything in his town.

        Furthermore, this does nothing for a "friendly spirit" of a translator
        site, not to mention that it is a smack to the face of Mr. Kasha, who
        introduced the beaver (The Beaver, actually) in the most neutral way.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
          I just brought it up as French influence because that's what it was attributed to in my linguistics textbooks in grad school.

          It's the same thing with them creating names like "Hydro Windsor" (one I made up), where as if they'd had Americans name the thing, it would be called "Windsor Hydro".

          Jamie

        • Jakub Skrebsky
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
            Marketo a Martine, moc diky za pomoc. Mozna nejste lekarnici, ale rozhodne tomu rozumite vic nez ja:))

            Jakub

            On 13 Jun 2013, at 13:05, Martin Janda wrote:

            Ja bych se pridal. I kdyz mi termin imunodominantni v tomhle kontextu
            pripada zvlastni - imunodominantni bych cekal, že bude cast nejakeho
            vetsiho celku, ale ne samostatny peptid. Tam bych volil spis formulaci
            vysoce/silne antigenni peptid.

            Martin
            (kdysi davno imunochemik, nikdy lekarnik)

            Dne 13.6.2013 13:58, Markéta Vilhelmová napsal(a):

            > Jakube,
            > ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale
            > nejsem
            > chemik ani lekarnik.
            >
            > Marketa
            >
            > --
            > Marketa Vilhelmova
            > Domasov u Stbk. 46
            > CZ-78501 Sternberk
            > Czech Republic
            > Comp. ID: 73360309
            > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
            > tel: +420 608 614 059
            > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@... <mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz>
            > skype: jirickovapeggy

          • Kent Christopher Kasha
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 14, 2013
              I have a couple of other quotes about Canada along the same lines:

              Pierre Elliot said "When America sneezes, Canada catches a cold."

              And my favorite: Canada could have had the best of all worlds: French
              culture, British government and American know-how. Instead it has French
              government, British know-how and American culture.