Re: [Czechlist] "the"

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 13 4:57 AM
      I think you did understand, Gerry. It looks like we agree.

      I don't know what I'd do with the definite article in front of "Beano", because in the US that's not a magazine, but an anti-flatulence remedy people commonly take before eating Mexican food.

      Jamie

      On Jun 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, wustpisk wrote:

      > I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
      > If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
      > I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.

      >> I've got a question about using "the" before the name of a periodical. I'd like native English speakers' feedback on it.
      >>
      >> I've got a set of style guidelines written by Germans in German, and they include a few rules that violate English journalistic style as I learned it and according to the manuals I have here. I've gotten permission to adhere to English style on a few things, but there is one that's really bothering me. They want me to use "the" before the name of the magazine "auf Deutsch sowie auf Englisch". The problem is that in English it sounds to me like a German's ESL mistake.
      >>
      >> I'm fine with "the" at the beginning of publications ending in certain nouns, like "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press", "The Wall Street Journal", "The Financial Times", "The Guardian", etc. No problem there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).
      >>
      >> Canadians, under the influence of French, can use titles with just "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The National", etc.
      >>
      >> I also heard a Scotsman once refer to "the Beano".
      >>
      >> The issue I have today, though, is whether you should add "the" before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.
      >>
      >> For example, there's a somewhat paranoid Polish religious magazine that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One Another"? I can't do it.
      >>
      >> Another example: Let's say you had a magazine called "Let's Go!" (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't. This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me as when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based article mistake.
      >>
      >> Any thoughts?
      >>
      >> Jamie

    • Markéta Vilhelmová
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 13 4:58 AM
        Jakube,
        ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale nejsem
        chemik ani lekarnik.

        Marketa

        --
        Marketa Vilhelmova
        Domasov u Stbk. 46

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 13 5:02 AM
          I used to get the Beano until about 1978 - I've got a cupboard full of them at my mum's house.
          But I'm sure that your Scotsman was referring to the magazine (actually a comic) rather than a flatulence cure.
          I would certainly take Beano if so required, should I ever end up in Mexico, but I don't think the Beano would quite have the desired effect.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 13 5:05 AM
            Ja bych se pridal. I kdyz mi termin imunodominantni v tomhle kontextu
            pripada zvlastni - imunodominantni bych cekal, že bude cast nejakeho
            vetsiho celku, ale ne samostatny peptid. Tam bych volil spis formulaci
            vysoce/silne antigenni peptid.

            Martin
            (kdysi davno imunochemik, nikdy lekarnik)

            Dne 13.6.2013 13:58, Markéta Vilhelmová napsal(a):

            > Jakube,
            > ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale
            > nejsem
            > chemik ani lekarnik.
            >
            > Marketa
            >
            > --
            > Marketa Vilhelmova
            > Domasov u Stbk. 46
            > CZ-78501 Sternberk
            > Czech Republic
            > Comp. ID: 73360309
            > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
            > tel: +420 608 614 059
            > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@... <mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz>
            > skype: jirickovapeggy

          • Liz
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 13 7:26 AM
              Hi,

              Islanders, would you call the US business magazine "Forbes" or "the Forbes"?

              I read in Forbes the other day....

              I read in the Forbes the other day....

              I'd use the former -- the mag is Forbes, not The Forbes.

              Dtto for Time and Newsweek, so I think the addition of "the" would only apply for adjective + verb. Plus a few exceptions, because what would life be if there were no exceptions.

              - Liz

              > I think you did understand, Gerry. It looks like we agree.
              >
              > I don't know what I'd do with the definite article in front of "Beano", because in the US that's not a magazine, but an anti-flatulence remedy people commonly take before eating Mexican food.
              >
              > Jamie
              >
              > On Jun 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, wustpisk wrote:
              >
              > > I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
              > > If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
              > > I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.
              > >
              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I've got a question about using "the" before the name of a periodical. I'd like native English speakers' feedback on it.
              > >>
              > >> I've got a set of style guidelines written by Germans in German, and they include a few rules that violate English journalistic style as I learned it and according to the manuals I have here. I've gotten permission to adhere to English style on a few things, but there is one that's really bothering me. They want me to use "the" before the name of the magazine "auf Deutsch sowie auf Englisch". The problem is that in English it sounds to me like a German's ESL mistake.
              > >>
              > >> I'm fine with "the" at the beginning of publications ending in certain nouns, like "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press", "The Wall Street Journal", "The Financial Times", "The Guardian", etc. No problem there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).
              > >>
              > >> Canadians, under the influence of French, can use titles with just "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The National", etc.
              > >>
              > >> I also heard a Scotsman once refer to "the Beano".
              > >>
              > >> The issue I have today, though, is whether you should add "the" before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.
              > >>
              > >> For example, there's a somewhat paranoid Polish religious magazine that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One Another"? I can't do it.
              > >>
              > >> Another example: Let's say you had a magazine called "Let's Go!" (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't. This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me as when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based article mistake.
              > >>
              > >> Any thoughts?
              > >>
              > >> Jamie

            • wustpisk
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 13 7:28 AM
                I don't think there is any difference at all between US English and standard English in this respect.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Islanders, would you call the US business magazine "Forbes" or "the Forbes"?
                >
                > I read in Forbes the other day....
                >
                > I read in the Forbes the other day....
                >
                > I'd use the former -- the mag is Forbes, not The Forbes.
                >
                > Dtto for Time and Newsweek, so I think the addition of "the" would only apply for adjective + verb. Plus a few exceptions, because what would life be if there were no exceptions.
                >
                > - Liz
                >

                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I think you did understand, Gerry. It looks like we agree.
                > >
                > > I don't know what I'd do with the definite article in front of "Beano", because in the US that's not a magazine, but an anti-flatulence remedy people commonly take before eating Mexican food.
                > >
                > > Jamie
                > >
                > > On Jun 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                > >
                > > > I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
                > > > If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
                > > > I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.

              • Kent Christopher Kasha
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 13 8:32 AM
                  I agree. The only point I would like to make is that Canada's The National
                  name is not so much the result of some arcane French influence, but a
                  shortening of the former name, The National News. So it is more of a
                  marketing room decision than some francophone connection.

                  I am a bit saddened by the fact that the magazine spotlighting Canadian
                  history changed its name to Canada's History from the much more colourful
                  The Beaver.

                  Kent

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 13 8:46 AM
                    Kent, I think that if you viewed various things in Canada from US eyes, you'd see that there are plenty of names of that form "The Adjective" that would be strange in the US and that we immediately know are Canadian names. "The National" was the only one I could think of at the time, but if you were a foreigner you would notice that Canada is quite liberally sprinkled with such names.

                    As for beavers, when the Canadian parliament was busy destroying the Detroit pop music industry and our local Windsor radio station along with it, the disk jockeys used to use the word "beaver" derisively when complying with local content laws. When putting on some crummy song they would not have played without being forced to by regulations, they would announce, "Here's another beaver!"

                    Jamie

                  • Liz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 13 9:01 AM
                      Dtto for The Atlantic (formerly The Atlantic Monthly).

                      I do notice comedians would toss in an extra "the" here and there when mimicking Sarah Palin. I thought that was a Fargo thing.

                      - Liz

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Christopher Kasha" <kasha@...> wrote:

                      > I agree. The only point I would like to make is that Canada's The National
                      > name is not so much the result of some arcane French influence, but a
                      > shortening of the former name, The National News. So it is more of a
                      > marketing room decision than some francophone connection.
                      >
                      > Kent
                    • Kent Christopher Kasha
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 13 9:08 AM
                        Jamie, I don't doubt it, though The National is not one of them, and I am
                        not sure that any other ones you can think of have all that much to do with
                        a French influence, which was my point.

                        We'll leave the destruction of the Detroit pop music industry for another
                        day. I would (seriously) like to hear how the Canadian Parliament managed
                        that, though I suppose I should be pleased they succeeded in something. When
                        I was growing up all the radio stations were crap, but there was a late
                        night show on CBC called Brave New Waves that played excellent music in a
                        multitude of styles. Otherwise my siblings and I would gather around my
                        brother's short wave radio and try to find stations that played anything
                        other than the pabulum on the local airwaves.

> [...]

                        > there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not
                        > present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).

                        > "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The
                        > National", etc.

                        > before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.

                        > that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you
                        > native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One
                        > Another"? I can't do it.

                        > (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in
                        > general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't.
                        > This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me
                        as
                        > when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based

                      • Hannah Geiger
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 13 9:16 AM
                          I am a bit bewildered: A person says, within the context of a linguistic
                          discussion, that a paper used to be called The Beaver.

                          In reply, he gets this*: *

                          *....**As for beavers, when the Canadian parliament was busy destroying the
                          Detroit pop music industry and our local Windsor radio station along with
                          it, the disk jockeys used to use the word "beaver" derisively when
                          complying with local content laws. When putting on some crummy song they
                          would not have played without being forced to by regulations, they would
                          announce, "Here's another beaver!"*

                          *
                          *

                          I lived in Canada and my observation was that if anything, Canadians are
                          very afraid of the Americans.

                          Jean Chretian in his (now famous) comment said: living next to the USA is
                          like sleeping next to an elephant. You feel its every move.

                          And I wonder, why is it necessary to be putting out the "beavers being
                          crummy songs", "Canadian parliament destroying US pop music..... "

                          Although I know that Jamie loves to voluntarily disclose lots and lots of
                          information about himself which many may find quite interesting, I find it
                          disruptive that someone from Detroit, half of which looks like Dresden
                          after World War II bombings, says that the Canadian Parliament is
                          destroying anything in his town.

                          Furthermore, this does nothing for a "friendly spirit" of a translator
                          site, not to mention that it is a smack to the face of Mr. Kasha, who
                          introduced the beaver (The Beaver, actually) in the most neutral way.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 13 9:23 AM
                            I just brought it up as French influence because that's what it was attributed to in my linguistics textbooks in grad school.

                            It's the same thing with them creating names like "Hydro Windsor" (one I made up), where as if they'd had Americans name the thing, it would be called "Windsor Hydro".

                            Jamie

                          • Jakub Skrebsky
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 13 9:50 AM
                              Marketo a Martine, moc diky za pomoc. Mozna nejste lekarnici, ale rozhodne tomu rozumite vic nez ja:))

                              Jakub

                              On 13 Jun 2013, at 13:05, Martin Janda wrote:

                              Ja bych se pridal. I kdyz mi termin imunodominantni v tomhle kontextu
                              pripada zvlastni - imunodominantni bych cekal, že bude cast nejakeho
                              vetsiho celku, ale ne samostatny peptid. Tam bych volil spis formulaci
                              vysoce/silne antigenni peptid.

                              Martin
                              (kdysi davno imunochemik, nikdy lekarnik)

                              Dne 13.6.2013 13:58, Markéta Vilhelmová napsal(a):

                              > Jakube,
                              > ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale
                              > nejsem
                              > chemik ani lekarnik.
                              >
                              > Marketa
                              >
                              > --
                              > Marketa Vilhelmova
                              > Domasov u Stbk. 46
                              > CZ-78501 Sternberk
                              > Czech Republic
                              > Comp. ID: 73360309
                              > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
                              > tel: +420 608 614 059
                              > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@... <mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz>
                              > skype: jirickovapeggy

                            • Kent Christopher Kasha
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 14 6:00 AM
                                I have a couple of other quotes about Canada along the same lines:

                                Pierre Elliot said "When America sneezes, Canada catches a cold."

                                And my favorite: Canada could have had the best of all worlds: French
                                culture, British government and American know-how. Instead it has French
                                government, British know-how and American culture.