[Czechlist] "the"

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 12, 2013
      I've got a question about using "the" before the name of a periodical. I'd like native English speakers' feedback on it.

      I've got a set of style guidelines written by Germans in German, and they include a few rules that violate English journalistic style as I learned it and according to the manuals I have here. I've gotten permission to adhere to English style on a few things, but there is one that's really bothering me. They want me to use "the" before the name of the magazine "auf Deutsch sowie auf Englisch". The problem is that in English it sounds to me like a German's ESL mistake.

      I'm fine with "the" at the beginning of publications ending in certain nouns, like "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press", "The Wall Street Journal", "The Financial Times", "The Guardian", etc. No problem there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).

      Canadians, under the influence of French, can use titles with just "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The National", etc.

      I also heard a Scotsman once refer to "the Beano".

      The issue I have today, though, is whether you should add "the" before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.

      For example, there's a somewhat paranoid Polish religious magazine that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One Another"? I can't do it.

      Another example: Let's say you had a magazine called "Let's Go!" (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't. This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me as when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based article mistake.

      Any thoughts?

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
        I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
        If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
        I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.

        > I've got a question about using "the" before the name of a periodical. I'd like native English speakers' feedback on it.
        >
        > I've got a set of style guidelines written by Germans in German, and they include a few rules that violate English journalistic style as I learned it and according to the manuals I have here. I've gotten permission to adhere to English style on a few things, but there is one that's really bothering me. They want me to use "the" before the name of the magazine "auf Deutsch sowie auf Englisch". The problem is that in English it sounds to me like a German's ESL mistake.
        >
        > I'm fine with "the" at the beginning of publications ending in certain nouns, like "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press", "The Wall Street Journal", "The Financial Times", "The Guardian", etc. No problem there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).
        >
        > Canadians, under the influence of French, can use titles with just "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The National", etc.
        >
        > I also heard a Scotsman once refer to "the Beano".
        >
        > The issue I have today, though, is whether you should add "the" before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.
        >
        > For example, there's a somewhat paranoid Polish religious magazine that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One Another"? I can't do it.
        >
        > Another example: Let's say you had a magazine called "Let's Go!" (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't. This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me as when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based article mistake.
        >
        > Any thoughts?

      • Mark Gillis
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
          James,

          I’ll
          make some points that I hope will be helpful. But let me preface them by saying
          that, as a native speaker, I go on instinct. If I ever actually learned the
          grammar rules applicable to articles, I certainly do not remember them now. But
          I have had EXTENSIVE experience correcting article errors, which seem to be the
          most common ones and the most difficult ones to overcome for many Slavic speakers.
          Also as a preface, I should also point out that I have never been able to hit upon
          any real hard and fast rules that apply without exception. And perhaps that is
          why the Germans just prefer a hard and fast rule – it is simpler of
          application.
          I’m
          assuming from your comment that you are not a native English speaker, but I
          have to say that your instincts as to “Love One Another” and “Let’s Go” (which
          is a guidebook) are spot on as far as I am concerned. I would NEVER put an
          article before those two. (E.g., “I am looking for Love One Another.” or “Don’t
          forget to bring Let’s Go on the trip.”). In general your written English looks
          essentially flawless to me.
          As
          a rule of thumb, I look upon articles as a part of speech that answers the
          question of the following noun, “Which one?”. The indefinite article “a/an”
          gives the answer, “I don’t know or am not saying or it’s not important.” The
          definite article tells you, “I mean a specific, determinable one.” For example,
          “We are looking for a house to buy.” means you have not yet decided which one,
          but “We found the perfect house.” makes clear you have decided on a specific
          one (you could even just say, “We found THE house.”).
          With
          that in mind, and speaking now just about the definite article, whether or not
          you use “the” will depend on whether the following noun is generic (is one of many of the same kind) and needs a
          modifier to tell you which one or is a unique thing. So, a unique thing are names of places, like “Paris”
          or “France”, which would never be preceded by an article (unless you want to
          speak temporally – “the Paris of the 1920s” or “the Paris of my ancestors”,
          suggesting they are different from other eras). It is clear from the word that
          you don’t need to clarify which one you are talking about because there is only
          one.
          similar consideration goes for abstractions. Since there is only one thing (or “form”
          in the platonic view) of “beauty”, you don’t need an article. The reason I bring
          this up is because I thought of many journals that do not take an article, and
          they were all philosophical, usually referring to an abstract concept:
          Dialectica, Dionysius, Apeiron, Ratio, or Phronesis. I don’t think any of these
          should take “the” in front of them.
          But
          when you use a generic term and modify it with adjectives or a phrase, then you
          do use “the”. Even though everybody knows that there is only ONE “Wall Street
          Journal”, still it is a journal that is modified by a place name, so “the” is
          used because it answers the question, “Which journal?” Applying this notion
          again to philosophy journals, “The Journal of Philosophy” does take a “the”
          because the word, “Philosophy”, tells us which journal. Ditto “The New
          Scholasticism”.
          am really not sure about any hard and fast rule about an article before an
          adjective as opposed to a noun or a noun preceded by an adjective. I assume the
          notion is that if there is just an adjective, that is because the following
          noun that was originally there was dropped through usage (as you pointed out).

          I hope this is helpful and that I have not just added confusion to the mix.

          Mark

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
            Chemici a lékárníci, prosím pomoc. Potřeuji český ekvivalent k "immunodominant nine amino acid peptide". Kontext je ubohý, jen věta "XYZ is the immunodominant nine amino acid peptide derived from the extracellular domain of the oncogene HER2."

            Díky
            Jakub

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
              Mark, I'm a native English speaker with a graduate degree in linguistics. Before becoming a translator, I worked for years as a technical and magazine editor, and I have also taught ESL for 22 years.

              I know when to use the articles in American English. What I was trying to get at was whether there is usage of the definite article in relation to magazine titles that would be unacceptable to us Americans but might be common among the British. In other words, this was a check to see if the stylistic rule I was handed by a foreign client was pure Germlish or whether it reflected accepted usage in the UK. Usually, American and British gut feelings agree on something like this, but there are important times when they don't, and I was trying to see if this was one of them.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                I think you did understand, Gerry. It looks like we agree.

                I don't know what I'd do with the definite article in front of "Beano", because in the US that's not a magazine, but an anti-flatulence remedy people commonly take before eating Mexican food.

                Jamie

                On Jun 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, wustpisk wrote:

                > I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
                > If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
                > I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.

                >> I've got a question about using "the" before the name of a periodical. I'd like native English speakers' feedback on it.
                >>
                >> I've got a set of style guidelines written by Germans in German, and they include a few rules that violate English journalistic style as I learned it and according to the manuals I have here. I've gotten permission to adhere to English style on a few things, but there is one that's really bothering me. They want me to use "the" before the name of the magazine "auf Deutsch sowie auf Englisch". The problem is that in English it sounds to me like a German's ESL mistake.
                >>
                >> I'm fine with "the" at the beginning of publications ending in certain nouns, like "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press", "The Wall Street Journal", "The Financial Times", "The Guardian", etc. No problem there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).
                >>
                >> Canadians, under the influence of French, can use titles with just "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The National", etc.
                >>
                >> I also heard a Scotsman once refer to "the Beano".
                >>
                >> The issue I have today, though, is whether you should add "the" before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.
                >>
                >> For example, there's a somewhat paranoid Polish religious magazine that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One Another"? I can't do it.
                >>
                >> Another example: Let's say you had a magazine called "Let's Go!" (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't. This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me as when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based article mistake.
                >>
                >> Any thoughts?
                >>
                >> Jamie

              • Markéta Vilhelmová
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                  Jakube,
                  ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale nejsem
                  chemik ani lekarnik.

                  Marketa

                  --
                  Marketa Vilhelmova
                  Domasov u Stbk. 46

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                    I used to get the Beano until about 1978 - I've got a cupboard full of them at my mum's house.
                    But I'm sure that your Scotsman was referring to the magazine (actually a comic) rather than a flatulence cure.
                    I would certainly take Beano if so required, should I ever end up in Mexico, but I don't think the Beano would quite have the desired effect.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                      Ja bych se pridal. I kdyz mi termin imunodominantni v tomhle kontextu
                      pripada zvlastni - imunodominantni bych cekal, že bude cast nejakeho
                      vetsiho celku, ale ne samostatny peptid. Tam bych volil spis formulaci
                      vysoce/silne antigenni peptid.

                      Martin
                      (kdysi davno imunochemik, nikdy lekarnik)

                      Dne 13.6.2013 13:58, Markéta Vilhelmová napsal(a):

                      > Jakube,
                      > ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale
                      > nejsem
                      > chemik ani lekarnik.
                      >
                      > Marketa
                      >
                      > --
                      > Marketa Vilhelmova
                      > Domasov u Stbk. 46
                      > CZ-78501 Sternberk
                      > Czech Republic
                      > Comp. ID: 73360309
                      > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
                      > tel: +420 608 614 059
                      > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@... <mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz>
                      > skype: jirickovapeggy

                    • Liz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                        Hi,

                        Islanders, would you call the US business magazine "Forbes" or "the Forbes"?

                        I read in Forbes the other day....

                        I read in the Forbes the other day....

                        I'd use the former -- the mag is Forbes, not The Forbes.

                        Dtto for Time and Newsweek, so I think the addition of "the" would only apply for adjective + verb. Plus a few exceptions, because what would life be if there were no exceptions.

                        - Liz

                        > I think you did understand, Gerry. It looks like we agree.
                        >
                        > I don't know what I'd do with the definite article in front of "Beano", because in the US that's not a magazine, but an anti-flatulence remedy people commonly take before eating Mexican food.
                        >
                        > Jamie
                        >
                        > On Jun 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                        >
                        > > I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
                        > > If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
                        > > I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.
                        > >
                        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> I've got a question about using "the" before the name of a periodical. I'd like native English speakers' feedback on it.
                        > >>
                        > >> I've got a set of style guidelines written by Germans in German, and they include a few rules that violate English journalistic style as I learned it and according to the manuals I have here. I've gotten permission to adhere to English style on a few things, but there is one that's really bothering me. They want me to use "the" before the name of the magazine "auf Deutsch sowie auf Englisch". The problem is that in English it sounds to me like a German's ESL mistake.
                        > >>
                        > >> I'm fine with "the" at the beginning of publications ending in certain nouns, like "The Detroit News", "The Detroit Free Press", "The Wall Street Journal", "The Financial Times", "The Guardian", etc. No problem there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).
                        > >>
                        > >> Canadians, under the influence of French, can use titles with just "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The National", etc.
                        > >>
                        > >> I also heard a Scotsman once refer to "the Beano".
                        > >>
                        > >> The issue I have today, though, is whether you should add "the" before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.
                        > >>
                        > >> For example, there's a somewhat paranoid Polish religious magazine that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One Another"? I can't do it.
                        > >>
                        > >> Another example: Let's say you had a magazine called "Let's Go!" (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't. This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me as when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based article mistake.
                        > >>
                        > >> Any thoughts?
                        > >>
                        > >> Jamie

                      • wustpisk
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                          I don't think there is any difference at all between US English and standard English in this respect.

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Islanders, would you call the US business magazine "Forbes" or "the Forbes"?
                          >
                          > I read in Forbes the other day....
                          >
                          > I read in the Forbes the other day....
                          >
                          > I'd use the former -- the mag is Forbes, not The Forbes.
                          >
                          > Dtto for Time and Newsweek, so I think the addition of "the" would only apply for adjective + verb. Plus a few exceptions, because what would life be if there were no exceptions.
                          >
                          > - Liz
                          >

                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I think you did understand, Gerry. It looks like we agree.
                          > >
                          > > I don't know what I'd do with the definite article in front of "Beano", because in the US that's not a magazine, but an anti-flatulence remedy people commonly take before eating Mexican food.
                          > >
                          > > Jamie
                          > >
                          > > On Jun 13, 2013, at 3:08 AM, wustpisk wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I'm not sure I understand your problem - it seems clear to me.
                          > > > If a noun, or adjective + noun, then the. If a verb, no the.
                          > > > I've always called it the Beano, and I'm not a Scotsman.

                        • Kent Christopher Kasha
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                            I agree. The only point I would like to make is that Canada's The National
                            name is not so much the result of some arcane French influence, but a
                            shortening of the former name, The National News. So it is more of a
                            marketing room decision than some francophone connection.

                            I am a bit saddened by the fact that the magazine spotlighting Canadian
                            history changed its name to Canada's History from the much more colourful
                            The Beaver.

                            Kent

                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                              Kent, I think that if you viewed various things in Canada from US eyes, you'd see that there are plenty of names of that form "The Adjective" that would be strange in the US and that we immediately know are Canadian names. "The National" was the only one I could think of at the time, but if you were a foreigner you would notice that Canada is quite liberally sprinkled with such names.

                              As for beavers, when the Canadian parliament was busy destroying the Detroit pop music industry and our local Windsor radio station along with it, the disk jockeys used to use the word "beaver" derisively when complying with local content laws. When putting on some crummy song they would not have played without being forced to by regulations, they would announce, "Here's another beaver!"

                              Jamie

                            • Liz
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                                Dtto for The Atlantic (formerly The Atlantic Monthly).

                                I do notice comedians would toss in an extra "the" here and there when mimicking Sarah Palin. I thought that was a Fargo thing.

                                - Liz

                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Christopher Kasha" <kasha@...> wrote:

                                > I agree. The only point I would like to make is that Canada's The National
                                > name is not so much the result of some arcane French influence, but a
                                > shortening of the former name, The National News. So it is more of a
                                > marketing room decision than some francophone connection.
                                >
                                > Kent
                              • Kent Christopher Kasha
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                                  Jamie, I don't doubt it, though The National is not one of them, and I am
                                  not sure that any other ones you can think of have all that much to do with
                                  a French influence, which was my point.

                                  We'll leave the destruction of the Detroit pop music industry for another
                                  day. I would (seriously) like to hear how the Canadian Parliament managed
                                  that, though I suppose I should be pleased they succeeded in something. When
                                  I was growing up all the radio stations were crap, but there was a late
                                  night show on CBC called Brave New Waves that played excellent music in a
                                  multitude of styles. Otherwise my siblings and I would gather around my
                                  brother's short wave radio and try to find stations that played anything
                                  other than the pabulum on the local airwaves.

> [...]

                                  > there. There are also some names of publications where such nouns are not
                                  > present but are understood, such as "The Atlantic" (Monthly).

                                  > "the" and an adjective, and you just have to intuit the noun, such as "The
                                  > National", etc.

                                  > before the title of a magazine that consists of a sentence.

                                  > that comes out in English under the title "Love One Another". Would you
                                  > native English speakers ever refer to this magazine as "the Love One
                                  > Another"? I can't do it.

                                  > (There probably is one somewhere.) Would you ever refer to the magazine in
                                  > general (not just one stray copy somewhere) as "the Let's Go!"? I can't.
                                  > This is approximately what I'm being asked to do. It sounds as bad to me
                                  as
                                  > when they call Donald Trump "The Donald" due to Ivana's German-based

                                • Hannah Geiger
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                                    I am a bit bewildered: A person says, within the context of a linguistic
                                    discussion, that a paper used to be called The Beaver.

                                    In reply, he gets this*: *

                                    *....**As for beavers, when the Canadian parliament was busy destroying the
                                    Detroit pop music industry and our local Windsor radio station along with
                                    it, the disk jockeys used to use the word "beaver" derisively when
                                    complying with local content laws. When putting on some crummy song they
                                    would not have played without being forced to by regulations, they would
                                    announce, "Here's another beaver!"*

                                    *
                                    *

                                    I lived in Canada and my observation was that if anything, Canadians are
                                    very afraid of the Americans.

                                    Jean Chretian in his (now famous) comment said: living next to the USA is
                                    like sleeping next to an elephant. You feel its every move.

                                    And I wonder, why is it necessary to be putting out the "beavers being
                                    crummy songs", "Canadian parliament destroying US pop music..... "

                                    Although I know that Jamie loves to voluntarily disclose lots and lots of
                                    information about himself which many may find quite interesting, I find it
                                    disruptive that someone from Detroit, half of which looks like Dresden
                                    after World War II bombings, says that the Canadian Parliament is
                                    destroying anything in his town.

                                    Furthermore, this does nothing for a "friendly spirit" of a translator
                                    site, not to mention that it is a smack to the face of Mr. Kasha, who
                                    introduced the beaver (The Beaver, actually) in the most neutral way.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                                      I just brought it up as French influence because that's what it was attributed to in my linguistics textbooks in grad school.

                                      It's the same thing with them creating names like "Hydro Windsor" (one I made up), where as if they'd had Americans name the thing, it would be called "Windsor Hydro".

                                      Jamie

                                    • Jakub Skrebsky
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 13, 2013
                                        Marketo a Martine, moc diky za pomoc. Mozna nejste lekarnici, ale rozhodne tomu rozumite vic nez ja:))

                                        Jakub

                                        On 13 Jun 2013, at 13:05, Martin Janda wrote:

                                        Ja bych se pridal. I kdyz mi termin imunodominantni v tomhle kontextu
                                        pripada zvlastni - imunodominantni bych cekal, že bude cast nejakeho
                                        vetsiho celku, ale ne samostatny peptid. Tam bych volil spis formulaci
                                        vysoce/silne antigenni peptid.

                                        Martin
                                        (kdysi davno imunochemik, nikdy lekarnik)

                                        Dne 13.6.2013 13:58, Markéta Vilhelmová napsal(a):

                                        > Jakube,
                                        > ja bych rekla imunodominantni peptid obsahujici 9 aminokyselin, ale
                                        > nejsem
                                        > chemik ani lekarnik.
                                        >
                                        > Marketa
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Marketa Vilhelmova
                                        > Domasov u Stbk. 46
                                        > CZ-78501 Sternberk
                                        > Czech Republic
                                        > Comp. ID: 73360309
                                        > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
                                        > tel: +420 608 614 059
                                        > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@... <mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz>
                                        > skype: jirickovapeggy

                                      • Kent Christopher Kasha
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 14, 2013
                                          I have a couple of other quotes about Canada along the same lines:

                                          Pierre Elliot said "When America sneezes, Canada catches a cold."

                                          And my favorite: Canada could have had the best of all worlds: French
                                          culture, British government and American know-how. Instead it has French
                                          government, British know-how and American culture.