[Czechlist] TranslatorPay.com

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5 7:46 AM
      Hi there:

      Does someone have any impressions of the TranslatorPay.com service to share?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6 5:07 AM
        Hi, Jirka.

        On the ATA business practices list about six months ago we were discussing this. One of the issues was how the organization was making their money, because nobody seemed to be paying any fees to anybody.

        I can't remember what we concluded, but it appears to be a translator interface for some more general money transfer company: http://www.moneymoveit.com

        There are two things that make me hesitant about them:

        1. The seeming lack of fees for either side of the transaction (compare this to their parent company MoneyMove IT). How can they stay in business?
        2. The fact that they're aiming at a specific profession. This type of affinity pitch always worries me. At worst it can indicate a scam, and at best it can sometimes mean you just get a worse deal than elsewhere. When I see a business that targets "people just like you" (translators, Catholics, Jews, photographers, etc.), it often offers a worse deal, not necessarily because they're scamming, but because they may not have the scale and volume in whatever they're doing to offer you the best prices or rates.

        So I haven't really decided whether I think TranslatorPay is legitimate or not, and I'm waiting to see if it grows and if I meet people who use and trust them.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6 2:20 PM
          Hey Jamie,

          Thanks for your comments. I didn't know about TranslatorPay until this
          week when a major customer of mine (an agency) told me they were
          considering this method of payment.

          I agree with your arguments at the general level. On the other hand, I
          admit I don't understand this kind of business to the degree to know if
          it can make profit, however small, that is sufficient and sustainable to
          compete with the already well-established services. Also, as far as I
          understand, TranslatorPay basically claim they mainly make sure the
          costs of transfers are covered by the payer.

          I am fairly happy with my current payment channels. If I miss something,
          it's an affordable reliable escrow service. Skrill (Moneybookers)
          provides some kind of escrow but I recall it only works for trading
          goods as opposed to services. I don't think I could save on transfers
          any further but perhaps the payers could. I used to pay $10 minimum fee
          or 1% of the amount per transfer on payments in the Euro to my bank
          account in the Czech koruna. At the moment, I can get paid in the euro
          using bank accounts at zero such costs. For payments in dollars (U.S.,
          Canadian, Australian) PayPal works the best for me. I don't get paid in
          other currencies (except perhaps Bitcoin)...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7 3:37 AM
            PayPal is a problem for me, because the amount they deduct per transaction is so large compared to what I end up paying from a bank transfer. There are some smaller clients who don't send me huge volumes of work, and for their payments I have to settle for PayPal, but when the payments are up in the thousands of euros every month, that's a problem, and I won't accept payments through PayPal.

            I have a problem paying for some things I should from Europe if they don't accept credit cards or PayPal. For example, I couldn't get the Leda technical dictionaries when they had a sale, because they only accept a bank transfer. The bank here claims I can't make that particular kind of transfer from the US, so there's no way that I know of for me to get them their money.

            Jamie