Re: FB: More from FB

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <czechlist@...> wrote:

      > Starousedlik
      >
      > Co takhle sourdough?

      [from the use of sourdough for making bread in prospectors' camps] : a veteran inhabitant and especially an old-time prospector of Alaska or northwestern Canada
      http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sourdough

      Is this ever heard or understood these days?

      BR

      Melvyn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
        I remember the term from when I was a kid. It was in an old rerun of a western series that was made in the 1950s, so it was already old when I saw it. I assumed it meant a grizzled old guy who lived in a shack in the west, maybe a guy who used to be a cowboy or a gold prospector but is physically unable to do it anymore. He probably lives off possum and coon that he shoots. That's at least how I understood it as a kid.

        However, I've only ever heard it in that one context and never again. That's not to say it's not used somewhere else, but I think it's a very specific term and of limited diffusion. I think if you tried to use it as a general term for a longtime resident of a place, people wouldn't understand you. If they did understand you, they might think you're exaggerating or being sarcastic.

        Jamie