FB: More from FB

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2013
      Here is a brief summary of some more translation solutions that we have recently come up with on Facebook Czechlist. Sorry, I have to leave the context to your imagination.

      starousedlik
      permanent inhabitant
      old-timer
      long-timer
      early settler
      old hand
      longtime resident
      local
      local old-timer

      Rozklad
      remonstrance
      administrative appeal
      formal objection
      (request for review)

      Assured (shorthold) tenancy
      (kratkodoby) garantovany podnajem,
      kratkodoby zajisteny najem

      Frajerka
      Little madam
      (lots more suggestions given for specific contexts)

      Komisionarska smlouva
      brokerage contract
      commission contract
      consignment contract/agreement
      commission agent's contract

      Zakon 143/2001 Sb., o ochrane hospodarske souteze
      Competition Act

      Welfare of the child
      zdravi a blaho ditete
      zdravi a prospech ditete

      Vyjezdni zasedani
      off-site meeting
      company retreat
      corporate retreat
      awayday/away day
      residential

      Shopping trolley shelter
      Pristresek na voziky

      Je doma generalem
      wears the trousers
      rules the roost

      Pabení
      Palaver
      Hrabalesque
      whimsy

      Chcipl pes
      - quiet as a tomb
      - like a ghost town
      - there was not a living soul about
      - about as lively/cheerful as a wet weekend

      Prispevky (at a conference)
      papers, submissions

      Navazujici magisterske studium.
      follow-on Master's course
      follow-up Master's course

      Diplomant - a student writing his diploma thesis (in
      this narrow sense, this means the author of a diploma thesis) and preparing
      for the final state examination
      final year student,
      graduand
      "thesis writer"
      "dissertationist".
      (AmE tends to use "candidate" instead of "graduand").

      V ceskem prostredí
      in the Czech context
      in a Czech setting
      in the Czech milieu
      in the Czech Republic
      in Czechia
      on the Czech scene,
      in Czech society.
      among the Czechs
      in the Czech literature
      in Czech circles

      Nasinci
      folk(s) like us, our sort, our kind, this lot, the likes of us...???

      U nas
      where I come from, where I'm from, back home, (more locally) down our way, round our way...???

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2013
        Starousedlik

        Co takhle sourdough?

[...]

        Pabeni
        Palaver
        Hrabalesque
        whimsy

        Chcipl pes
        - quiet as a tomb
        - like a ghost town
        - there was not a living soul about
        - about as lively/cheerful as a wet weekend

        Prispevky (at a conference)
        papers, submissions

        Navazujici magisterske studium.
        follow-on Master's course
        follow-up Master's course

        Diplomant - a student writing his diploma thesis (in this narrow sense, this means the author of a diploma thesis) and preparing for the final state examination final year student, graduand "thesis writer"
        "dissertationist".
        (AmE tends to use "candidate" instead of "graduand").

        V ceskem prostredi

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <czechlist@...> wrote:

          > Starousedlik
          >
          > Co takhle sourdough?

          [from the use of sourdough for making bread in prospectors' camps] : a veteran inhabitant and especially an old-time prospector of Alaska or northwestern Canada
          http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sourdough

          Is this ever heard or understood these days?

          BR

          Melvyn
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
            I remember the term from when I was a kid. It was in an old rerun of a western series that was made in the 1950s, so it was already old when I saw it. I assumed it meant a grizzled old guy who lived in a shack in the west, maybe a guy who used to be a cowboy or a gold prospector but is physically unable to do it anymore. He probably lives off possum and coon that he shoots. That's at least how I understood it as a kid.

            However, I've only ever heard it in that one context and never again. That's not to say it's not used somewhere else, but I think it's a very specific term and of limited diffusion. I think if you tried to use it as a general term for a longtime resident of a place, people wouldn't understand you. If they did understand you, they might think you're exaggerating or being sarcastic.

            Jamie