TERM: Hodnota revisited (and making conversation)

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2013
      Martin J. wrote:
      >Well, Jamie, most people asking questions in this group have a specific translation issue, which means a specific text as well.

      Ah, but many do not. Or even if they do, we often start brainstorming over the term in other contexts, which is all useful stuff IMHO.

      Here's an example. I do not have a specific Czech text, but a Czech writer has written "some natural and cultural values of this National Park are mentioned in this paper". Sure enough, when I check on Google I find lots of examples of "Prirodni a kulturni hodnoty" in similar contests. This issue with hodnoty has arisen elsewhere on Czechlist and I am interested in how you might deal with the idea in various situations. Outside rather abstract pieces I would often find "values" to be inappropriate.

      Turned out nice today, hasn't it?

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2013
        Silly me, I forgot to add my own first reaction here:

        "Valuable natural and cultural features". Any other thoughts?

        BR

        Melvyn

        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2013
          I think your solution is very good.

          My first reaction is that the writer meant, "This paper mentions some aspects of the national park's natural and cultural significance."

          Jamie

          On May 28, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Melvyn wrote:

          > Silly me, I forgot to add my own first reaction here:
          >
          > "Valuable natural and cultural features". Any other thoughts?
          >
          > BR
          >
          > Melvyn
          >
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Here's an example...

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2013

            > My first reaction is that the writer meant, "This paper mentions some aspects of the national park's natural and cultural significance."

            Interesting. If this were a chess move I would mark it: !?

            And I daresay we will visit the subject again in future, Martin.

            BR

            Melvyn