Re: [Czechlist] Expression

    Message 1 of 19 , May 27 8:05 AM
      At least in the United States, the term is not obscure at all and is the term most often used to describe a robotically submissive wife. Even people who have never seen the movie know what it means. The term is definitely in daily use and has been since the 1970s.

      Google gives me eight pages of hits for "Stepford wife" on pages created in the past 24 hours.

      The term is even in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary:
      http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/stepford-wife

      And in the Collins English Dictionary:
      http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/stepford-wife

      Since you mentioned younger people, I should point out that when it comes to the millennial generation, all bets are off as to whether they'll think any idiom is "common" or not. Due to issues with the educational system in the US, unless they went to the very best schools, they tend to have impoverished vocabularies (which has been statistically proven), so they're liable to think even very common, established idioms are obscure. (I've cancelled jobs before when I had millennials as editors who can't recognize and won't accept perfectly common idioms that their better-educated peers claim "everybody" knows.)

      Jamie

      On May 27, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Dagmar wrote:

      > I always thought that the term means a'perfect' wife in a kind of almost sinister sense. I also don't think it is a term in daily use in English - I'd say that the young ones would not know what that meant either.. Having said that, the original film was remade with Nicole Kidman recently, wasn't it, so perhaps they would get it.
      > What I'm trying to get at is that the term could be obscure in English as well as in Czech, so I'd use Stepfordska panicka.. If I felt that it would really need an explanation, I'd use something like 'perfektni zenuska' instead of stepfordska panicka.
      > Dagmar
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Jamie - to help you more, can we have the full wording please?
      >>
      >> Thanks
      >> Martin
      >>

      >> Dne 27.5.2013 12:50, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
      >>>
      >>> In the case of the film's plot, yes, alth' we'd probably prefer
      >>> something more straightforward like "zena robot/roboticka zena"
      >>>
      >>> .. for the concept in real life - a wife dependent on their husband and
      >>> having no personality of her own... I don't think we have an
      >>> established expression..
      >>>
      >>> And I agree with Martin that the Czech title of the movie will not say
      >>> much to most people/will not suggest this concept automatically, unless
      >>> they have seen the flick in Czech...

    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 19 , May 28 2:12 AM
        Well,

        It is not just the title of a movie but also of a book

        Sarka

        > I notice that podvrzzene dite is the equivalent of a changeling, i.e.
        >a fay child substituted by the elves or the fairies in folklore. I
        >wonder if that idea could be pressed into service here, i.e. something
        >like podvrzzena panicka/zena/manzelka, at least by way of pithy
        >explanation.
        >
        >BR
        >
        >Melvyn
        >
        >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> , Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Yes but the knowledge is not widespread. I, for one, know the name
        >but
        >> would not know what kind of woman is meant. Unfortunately, I don't
        >think
        >> there is any better and short equivalent in Czech.
        >>
        >> Jamie - if your text is for wide public, I would advise to add some
        >kind
        >> of footnote/explanation/whatever.
        >>
        >> Martin

      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 19 , May 28 2:14 AM
          Ále “perfektní ženuška” má odlišný význam.

          Sarka

          I always thought that the term means a'perfect' wife in a kind of almost sinister sense. I also don't think it is a term in daily use in English - I'd say that the young ones would not know what that meant either.. Having said that, the original film was remade with Nicole Kidman recently, wasn't it, so perhaps they would get it.
          What I'm trying to get at is that the term could be obscure in English as well as in Czech, so I'd use Stepfordska panicka.. If I felt that it would really need an explanation, I'd use something like 'perfektni zenuska' instead of stepfordska panicka.
          Dagmar
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> , Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

          > Jamie - to help you more, can we have the full wording please?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Martin
          >

          > Dne 27.5.2013 12:50, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
          > >
          > > In the case of the film's plot, yes, alth' we'd probably prefer
          > > something more straightforward like "žena robot/robotická žena"
          > >
          > > .. for the concept in real life - a wife dependent on their husband and
          > > having no personality of her own... I don't think we have an
          > > established expression..
          > >
          > > And I agree with Martin that the Czech title of the movie will not say
          > > much to most people/will not suggest this concept automatically, unless
          > > they have seen the flick in Czech...

        • Sarka Rubkova
          Message 4 of 19 , May 28 2:20 AM
            Martine,
            Podle mne jsou "stepfordské paničky" stejně proslulé jako "Oliver Twist" (třeba)

            Sarka

            Message 5 of 19 , May 28 2:30 AM
              Jasne - rada lidi zna nazev (i kdyz u mladych bych si nebyl jisty ani
              tim), ale nikoli vyznam spojeni. Sam jsem toho zarnym dokladem (jasne,
              jsem barbar :-)). Takze, pokud je preklad urcen pro skupinu
              intelektualu, asi to fungovat bude. Pokud pro siroke masy, vrele bych
              doporucoval vysvetlivku nebo opis. Proto jsem taky po Jamiem chtel
              kontext - mozna by nam usetril spoustu dohadovani.

              Martin

              Message 6 of 19 , May 28 4:40 AM
                In the US, at least, the book is all but forgotten.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 19 , May 28 4:43 AM
                  Martin, there actually doesn't have to be any context in English. The person merely has to say a woman is or looks like a Stepford wife, and everyone just understands it.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 28 4:56 AM
                    Well, Jamie, most people asking questions in this group have a specific
                    translation issue, which means a specific text as well. Sorry, did not
                    realize your question was purely for the sakeof conversation. Noneed for
                    my input then...

                    Martin

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 28 5:08 AM
                      It was not purely for the sake of conversation. It was for my information. I don't need the term right now, but I will probably need something like it in the future.

                      Jamie