[Czechlist] Expression

    Message 1 of 19 , May 26, 2013
      An idiom, or more accurately, a cultural reference, came up the other day in a conversation, and I was wondering how it might be rendered in Czech:

      "a Stepford wife"

      The term comes from a 1975 movie about an affluent American suburb called Stepford, where men's wives were killed and replaced with realistic robots that were always well coiffed, gave great sex, and were completely submissive to the husband's will. Eventually, everybody's wife was to be replaced with one of these submissive robots.

      In ordinary conversation, the term is used to describe a wife who is considered to be her husband's brainwashed zombie.

      Any term for that in Czech?

    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 19 , May 26, 2013
        Hi Jamie,

        As far as I know this term was rendered into Czech as "Stepfordsk� pani�ka"

        Sarka

        Message 3 of 19 , May 26, 2013
          Cool! Thank you!

          JK

          On May 26, 2013, at 11:49 PM, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

          > Hi Jamie,
          >
          > As far as I know this term was rendered into Czech as "Stepfordska panicka"
          >

          > Sarka

        • Jakub Skrebsky
          Message 4 of 19 , May 27, 2013
            Agree.

            Jakub

            On 27 May 2013, at 04:49, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

            Hi Jamie,

            As far as I know this term was rendered into Czech as "Stepfordská panièka"

            Sarka

            Message 5 of 19 , May 27, 2013
              Yes but the knowledge is not widespread. I, for one, know the name but
              would not know what kind of woman is meant. Unfortunately, I don't think
              there is any better and short equivalent in Czech.

              Jamie - if your text is for wide public, I would advise to add some kind
              of footnote/explanation/whatever.

              Martin

              Dne 27.5.2013 11:26, Jakub Skrebsky napsal(a):

              > Agree.
              >
              > Jakub
              >
              > On 27 May 2013, at 04:49, Sarka Rubkova wrote:
              >
              > Hi Jamie,
              >
              > As far as I know this term was rendered into Czech as "Stepfordská
              > panièka"
              >
              > Sarka
              >
              > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 19 , May 27, 2013
                I notice that podvrzzene dite is the equivalent of a changeling, i.e. a fay child substituted by the elves or the fairies in folklore. I wonder if that idea could be pressed into service here, i.e. something like podvrzzena panicka/zena/manzelka, at least by way of pithy explanation.

                BR

                Melvyn

                Message 7 of 19 , May 27, 2013
                  In the case of the film's plot, yes, alth' we'd probably prefer
                  something more straightforward like "žena robot/robotická žena"

                  .. for the concept in real life - a wife dependent on their husband and
                  having no personality of her own... I don't think we have an
                  established expression..

                  And I agree with Martin that the Czech title of the movie will not say
                  much to most people/will not suggest this concept automatically, unless
                  they have seen the flick in Czech...

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 27, 2013
                    Jamie - to help you more, can we have the full wording please?

                    Thanks
                    Martin

                    Dne 27.5.2013 12:50, Matej Klimes napsal(a):

                    > In the case of the film's plot, yes, alth' we'd probably prefer
                    > something more straightforward like "žena robot/robotická žena"
                    >
                    > .. for the concept in real life - a wife dependent on their husband and
                    > having no personality of her own... I don't think we have an
                    > established expression..
                    >
                    > And I agree with Martin that the Czech title of the movie will not say
                    > much to most people/will not suggest this concept automatically, unless
                    > they have seen the flick in Czech...

                  • Petr
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 27, 2013
                      "Stepfordske panicky" Iry Levina vysly v Ceskoslovensku davno predtim, nez se tu promital film. Mimochodem, pokud si vzpominam, v te knize (na rozdil od filmu) vubec neni jasne, jestli ty manzelky byly nahrazeny roboty, nebo jestli to nejsou ony, jenom s vymytymi mozky (a mohutnejsimi nadry).
                      Petr Adamek

                      > An idiom, or more accurately, a cultural reference, came up the other day in a conversation, and I was wondering how it might be rendered in Czech:
                      >
                      > "a Stepford wife"
                      >
                      > The term comes from a 1975 movie about an affluent American suburb called Stepford, where men's wives were killed and replaced with realistic robots that were always well coiffed, gave great sex, and were completely submissive to the husband's will. Eventually, everybody's wife was to be replaced with one of these submissive robots.
                      >
                      > In ordinary conversation, the term is used to describe a wife who is considered to be her husband's brainwashed zombie.
                      >
                      > Any term for that in Czech?

                    • Dagmar
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 27, 2013
                        I always thought that the term means a'perfect' wife in a kind of almost sinister sense. I also don't think it is a term in daily use in English - I'd say that the young ones would not know what that meant either.. Having said that, the original film was remade with Nicole Kidman recently, wasn't it, so perhaps they would get it.
                        What I'm trying to get at is that the term could be obscure in English as well as in Czech, so I'd use Stepfordska panicka.. If I felt that it would really need an explanation, I'd use something like 'perfektni zenuska' instead of stepfordska panicka.
                        Dagmar

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 27, 2013
                          At least in the United States, the term is not obscure at all and is the term most often used to describe a robotically submissive wife. Even people who have never seen the movie know what it means. The term is definitely in daily use and has been since the 1970s.

                          Google gives me eight pages of hits for "Stepford wife" on pages created in the past 24 hours.

                          The term is even in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary:
                          http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/stepford-wife

                          And in the Collins English Dictionary:
                          http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/stepford-wife

                          Since you mentioned younger people, I should point out that when it comes to the millennial generation, all bets are off as to whether they'll think any idiom is "common" or not. Due to issues with the educational system in the US, unless they went to the very best schools, they tend to have impoverished vocabularies (which has been statistically proven), so they're liable to think even very common, established idioms are obscure. (I've cancelled jobs before when I had millennials as editors who can't recognize and won't accept perfectly common idioms that their better-educated peers claim "everybody" knows.)

                          Jamie

                          On May 27, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Dagmar wrote:

                          > I always thought that the term means a'perfect' wife in a kind of almost sinister sense. I also don't think it is a term in daily use in English - I'd say that the young ones would not know what that meant either.. Having said that, the original film was remade with Nicole Kidman recently, wasn't it, so perhaps they would get it.
                          > What I'm trying to get at is that the term could be obscure in English as well as in Czech, so I'd use Stepfordska panicka.. If I felt that it would really need an explanation, I'd use something like 'perfektni zenuska' instead of stepfordska panicka.
                          > Dagmar
                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Jamie - to help you more, can we have the full wording please?
                          >>
                          >> Thanks
                          >> Martin
                          >>

                          >> Dne 27.5.2013 12:50, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                          >>>
                          >>> In the case of the film's plot, yes, alth' we'd probably prefer
                          >>> something more straightforward like "zena robot/roboticka zena"
                          >>>
                          >>> .. for the concept in real life - a wife dependent on their husband and
                          >>> having no personality of her own... I don't think we have an
                          >>> established expression..
                          >>>
                          >>> And I agree with Martin that the Czech title of the movie will not say
                          >>> much to most people/will not suggest this concept automatically, unless
                          >>> they have seen the flick in Czech...

                        • Sarka Rubkova
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                            Well,

                            It is not just the title of a movie but also of a book

                            Sarka

                            > I notice that podvrzzene dite is the equivalent of a changeling, i.e.
                            >a fay child substituted by the elves or the fairies in folklore. I
                            >wonder if that idea could be pressed into service here, i.e. something
                            >like podvrzzena panicka/zena/manzelka, at least by way of pithy
                            >explanation.
                            >
                            >BR
                            >
                            >Melvyn
                            >
                            >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> , Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Yes but the knowledge is not widespread. I, for one, know the name
                            >but
                            >> would not know what kind of woman is meant. Unfortunately, I don't
                            >think
                            >> there is any better and short equivalent in Czech.
                            >>
                            >> Jamie - if your text is for wide public, I would advise to add some
                            >kind
                            >> of footnote/explanation/whatever.
                            >>
                            >> Martin

                          • Sarka Rubkova
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                              Ále “perfektní ženuška” má odlišný význam.

                              Sarka

                              I always thought that the term means a'perfect' wife in a kind of almost sinister sense. I also don't think it is a term in daily use in English - I'd say that the young ones would not know what that meant either.. Having said that, the original film was remade with Nicole Kidman recently, wasn't it, so perhaps they would get it.
                              What I'm trying to get at is that the term could be obscure in English as well as in Czech, so I'd use Stepfordska panicka.. If I felt that it would really need an explanation, I'd use something like 'perfektni zenuska' instead of stepfordska panicka.
                              Dagmar
                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com> , Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                              > Jamie - to help you more, can we have the full wording please?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Martin
                              >

                              > Dne 27.5.2013 12:50, Matej Klimes napsal(a):
                              > >
                              > > In the case of the film's plot, yes, alth' we'd probably prefer
                              > > something more straightforward like "žena robot/robotická žena"
                              > >
                              > > .. for the concept in real life - a wife dependent on their husband and
                              > > having no personality of her own... I don't think we have an
                              > > established expression..
                              > >
                              > > And I agree with Martin that the Czech title of the movie will not say
                              > > much to most people/will not suggest this concept automatically, unless
                              > > they have seen the flick in Czech...

                            • Sarka Rubkova
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                Martine,
                                Podle mne jsou "stepfordské paničky" stejně proslulé jako "Oliver Twist" (třeba)

                                Sarka

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                  Jasne - rada lidi zna nazev (i kdyz u mladych bych si nebyl jisty ani
                                  tim), ale nikoli vyznam spojeni. Sam jsem toho zarnym dokladem (jasne,
                                  jsem barbar :-)). Takze, pokud je preklad urcen pro skupinu
                                  intelektualu, asi to fungovat bude. Pokud pro siroke masy, vrele bych
                                  doporucoval vysvetlivku nebo opis. Proto jsem taky po Jamiem chtel
                                  kontext - mozna by nam usetril spoustu dohadovani.

                                  Martin

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                    In the US, at least, the book is all but forgotten.

                                    Jamie

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                      Martin, there actually doesn't have to be any context in English. The person merely has to say a woman is or looks like a Stepford wife, and everyone just understands it.

                                      Jamie

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                        Well, Jamie, most people asking questions in this group have a specific
                                        translation issue, which means a specific text as well. Sorry, did not
                                        realize your question was purely for the sakeof conversation. Noneed for
                                        my input then...

                                        Martin

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                          It was not purely for the sake of conversation. It was for my information. I don't need the term right now, but I will probably need something like it in the future.

                                          Jamie