Re: [Czechlist] help CES - ENG Tematicky okruh Priprava pokrmu na 1. stupni ZS

  • Helena Subrtova
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16, 2013
      It is a Czech "zakladni skola" - it has two levels (prvni, druhy stupen)
      (the first stage - for children aged 7-12, the second stage - children aged
      13-15).

      Helena

      --
      www.kvalitnipreklad.cz

      Potrebujete preklad dokumentu, tlumoceni nebo vyuku anglictiny? Pak jste na
      spravne adrese.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 17, 2013
        Re zakladni skola
        This is my pet hate - basic school...
        In UK English, the prvni stupen covers primary school (divided into infant and junior schools), so I would just translate it as primary school. I believe in the US it's the elementary school (which is a much better synonym for basic, because when I hear basic, I always think of something not that good, just basic. While zakladni in this case is to signify more a foundation level/elementary).
        But I guess I'm just shouting at trees here and I ought to just give up..

        Still, elementary or primary would be my choice, so that the EN speaking audience understands.

        Dagmar

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@...> wrote:

        > It is a Czech "zakladni skola" - it has two levels (prvni, druhy stupen)
        > (the first stage - for children aged 7-12, the second stage - children aged
        > 13-15).
        >
        > Helena
        >
        > --
        > www.kvalitnipreklad.cz
        >
        > Potrebujete preklad dokumentu, tlumoceni nebo vyuku anglictiny? Pak jste na
        > spravne adrese.

      • maxicek
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2013
          This is the equivalent of "lower primary" and "upper primary" in BrE, isn't it? I've adopted that usage as there's really no other way how to explain it in AmE - you can call the upper primary "middle school", but in the US, middle school is often in a separate building, while here it's not.

          Jennifer

          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2013
            In the US, that level is called "elementary school", "primary school" or "grammar school". "Elementary school" is the most common term. The last of the three terms explains why it sounds completely strange to an American when someone who attends gymnazium says he goes to a "secondary grammar school".

            The interesting thing is that "zakladni skola" is basically a calque of "Grundschule", and while the Germans have gone with an accurate English translation of the term, the Czechs, even at an official level, seem to be very hard-headed and proud of their defective English translations of things.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2013
              Those are good solutions, because, as you say, there's really no US equivalent, but on the other hand, they'd be readily understood in the US.

              The only problem would be for people who are deep in the US educational system, because we do have the terms "lower primary" and "upper primary". I believe lower primary here is 1st through 3rd grade, and 4th through 6th grade would be upper primary. Anyway, I remember being told on the first day of 4th or 5th grade that we were now in the "upper grades".

              One solution would be to see how it's divided up in Catholic schools and other US primary schools that have everyone from kindergartners up to 13-year-olds in the same building.

              Jamie

              On May 17, 2013, at 8:51 AM, maxicek wrote:

              > This is the equivalent of "lower primary" and "upper primary" in BrE, isn't it? I've adopted that usage as there's really no other way how to explain it in AmE - you can call the upper primary "middle school", but in the US, middle school is often in a separate building, while here it's not.
              >
              > Jennifer
              >
              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> It is a Czech "zakladni skola" - it has two levels (prvni, druhy stupen)
              >> (the first stage - for children aged 7-12, the second stage - children aged
              >> 13-15).
              >>
              >> Helena
              >>
              >> --
              >> www.kvalitnipreklad.cz
              >>
              >> Potrebujete preklad dokumentu, tlumoceni nebo vyuku anglictiny? Pak jste na
              >> spravne adrese.

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2013
                Putting on my black thinking hat for a moment ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Thinking_Hats ), if you use a specificially British term here then there is surely a danger IMO that readers will see the entire situation in British terms, even though the British educational system is quite different, e.g. we start primary school at the age of five and graduate from "infants" to "juniors" around the age of eight.

                There is sometimes no shame in letting your translation sound a little foreign, I believe.

                BR

                Melvyn
                Brilliant, Holmes. You must have had a very good education.
                Elementary, my dear Watson.

                > Those are good solutions, because, as you say, there's really no US equivalent, but on the other hand, they'd be readily understood in the US.
                >
                > The only problem would be for people who are deep in the US educational system, because we do have the terms "lower primary" and "upper primary". I believe lower primary here is 1st through 3rd grade, and 4th through 6th grade would be upper primary. Anyway, I remember being told on the first day of 4th or 5th grade that we were now in the "upper grades".
                >
                > One solution would be to see how it's divided up in Catholic schools and other US primary schools that have everyone from kindergartners up to 13-year-olds in the same building.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On May 17, 2013, at 8:51 AM, maxicek wrote:
                >
                > > This is the equivalent of "lower primary" and "upper primary" in BrE, isn't it? I've adopted that usage as there's really no other way how to explain it in AmE - you can call the upper primary "middle school", but in the US, middle school is often in a separate building, while here it's not.
                > >
                > > Jennifer
                > >
                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> It is a Czech "zakladni skola" - it has two levels (prvni, druhy stupen)
                > >> (the first stage - for children aged 7-12, the second stage - children aged
                > >> 13-15).
                > >>
                > >> Helena
                > >>
                > >> --
                > >> www.kvalitnipreklad.cz
                > >>
                > >> Potrebujete preklad dokumentu, tlumoceni nebo vyuku anglictiny? Pak jste na
                > >> spravne adrese.

              • Dagmar
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2013
                  I agree with you, Melvin, we cannot use any of the specific terms that would not match the ages/organisation of the Cz system, but I wish they would dispense with the term basic school. If I could, I'd coin the terms lower and upper elementary school...this would be perfectly understandable to BEn speakers, while sufficiently different to indicate the different system to motivate the reader to look up the details.
                  Dagmar