Re: [Czechlist] Czech comma

  • Zuzana Benesova
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2013
      In fact, you will need another comma after "odpovidal" to mark the end of the second clause. That is unless there is a full stop there :-)

      Zuzka

      10. 5. 2013 v 20:51, Charles Stanford:

      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2013
        Hi Jamie,

        I've been translating safety alerts from English to Czech on a fairly
        regular basis and, besides trap or pinch suggested by Martin, I also se
        entangle while trap definitely dominates...

        Jirka

      • Charles Stanford
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2013
          Thanks to all 3 of you - Jiri, Jaroslav and Zuzana. Strangely the
          proofreader (who is Czech) was insisting that there was nothing wrong with
          leaving it out, so I needed some big guns to confirm.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2013
            Thanks, Jirka. The problem is that I see different nuances in all of those:

            Trap sounds like something is stuck there and not moving.
            Pinch sounds like you get a little squeeze, say "ouch" and pull your appendage out.
            Entangle sounds like what would happen to long hair or clothes.

            When an arm is being continuously pulled in, it's trapped, but it's still moving, it's too large an appendage and there is too much continuous pressure and movement for it to be pinching, and an arm can't really be entangled less all the bones are broken and it's as flexible as a long strip of rubber.

            This is a tough nut to crack.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2013
              This isn't exactly a pinching hazard, because the machine can actually pull you in and crush you, not just give you a pinch. Trapping implies too little motion. Snagging makes it sound like a hook. The crushing hazard comes after the pulling hazard. So I guess I'm just going to go with "pulling hazard".

              Thank you, Martin.

              Jamie

              On May 10, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Martin Janda wrote:

              > My TM suggests trapping/pinching hazard.
              >
              > HTH
              > Martin
              >

              > Dne 10.5.2013 20:59, James Kirchner napsal(a):
              >>
              >> Can anyone give me suggestions as to the best word for "zachyceni" in
              >> the warning "Nebezpeci zachyceni!"?
              >>
              >> "Catching" is clearly not the right word, and I'm drawing a blank. I
              >> think in the factories we used to talk about a "snagging hazard", but
              >> that could also mean getting caught by a hook. We also talked about a
              >> "pulling hazard". Frankly we didn't talk about hazards much.
              >>
              >> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
              >>
              >> Jamie

            • Jakub Skrebsky
              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2013
                this gun should be big enough:

                http://www.pravidla.cz/vice/clenici-znamenka/?kapitola=11
                kapitola A (carka v souveti)
                ostavec 1
                odstavec 2 Pozn 1

                Although, Pozn. 2, in fact, allows leaving the comma out.

                Jakub

                On 10 May 2013, at 21:01, Charles Stanford wrote:

                Thanks to all 3 of you - Jiri, Jaroslav and Zuzana. Strangely the
                proofreader (who is Czech) was insisting that there was nothing wrong with
                leaving it out, so I needed some big guns to confirm.

                On 10 May 2013 21:14, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > In fact, you will need another comma after "odpovidal" to mark the end of
                > the second clause. That is unless there is a full stop there :-)
                >
                > Zuzka
                >
                > 10. 5. 2013 v 20:51, Charles Stanford:
                >

                >> Sorry if this is a bit of an uninspiring question but please could a
                > Czech
                >> NS confirm whether or not there should be a comma after cte in the
                >> following:
                >> "napr. pokud slova cte misto aby odpovidal"
                >
                >> Thanks
                >> Charlie

              • Pilucha, Jiri
                Message 7 of 14 , May 10, 2013
                  Jakube, why do you think it allows leaving the comma out?
                  It talks exclusively about spojka "nez".
                  There is no "nez" in Charlie's sentence
                  The comma totally needs to be there
                  Jiri

                  On 10 May 2013 21:14, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...<mailto:czechlist%40czechlist.org>> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > In fact, you will need another comma after "odpovidal" to mark the end of
                  > the second clause. That is unless there is a full stop there :-)
                  >
                  > Zuzka
                  >
                  > 10. 5. 2013 v 20:51, Charles Stanford:
                  >

                  >> Sorry if this is a bit of an uninspiring question but please could a
                  > Czech
                  >> NS confirm whether or not there should be a comma after cte in the
                  >> following:
                  >> "napr. pokud slova cte misto aby odpovidal"
                  >
                  >> Thanks
                  >> Charlie

                • Jakub Skrebsky

                    Although, Pozn. 2, in fact, allows leaving the comma out.

                    Jakub

                    On 10 May 2013, at 21:01, Charles Stanford wrote:

                    Thanks to all 3 of you - Jiri, Jaroslav and Zuzana. Strangely the
                    proofreader (who is Czech) was insisting that there was nothing wrong with
                    leaving it out, so I needed some big guns to confirm.

                    On 10 May 2013 21:14, Zuzana Benesova <czechlist@...<mailto:czechlist%40czechlist.org>> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > In fact, you will need another comma after "odpovidal" to mark the end of
                    > the second clause. That is unless there is a full stop there :-)
                    >
                    > Zuzka
                    >
                    > 10. 5. 2013 v 20:51, Charles Stanford:
                    >

                    >> Sorry if this is a bit of an uninspiring question but please could a
                    > Czech
                    >> NS confirm whether or not there should be a comma after cte in the
                    >> following:
                    >> "napr. pokud slova cte misto aby odpovidal"
                    >
                    >> Thanks
                    >> Charlie

                  • Pavel
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 15, 2013
                      Ja bych si dovolil podotknout, ze tam carka musi byt, protoze carkou oddelujeme vety podrazene od vet nadrazenych. S "nez" to tedy nijak nesouvisi, nejde o souradne spojene vety, kde by se mohlo pripadne jednat o mnohonasobny prisudek. U spojky podradici "aby", resp. v tomto pripade u spojovaciho vyrazu "misto aby" ani jina moznost nepripada v uvahu.

                      Pavel