Re: Vejminek

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7 8:29 AM
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dagmar" <dagmarwt@...> wrote:

      > Vejminek was a place, but by extension it was also used in the sense of 'to retire' (jit na vejminek). In the UK, when you look at some estate agents' adverts, if you have a house with a self contained flat/living unit, often made out of a garage or as an added extension, this is called a 'granny flat'.

      The old Poldauf dictionary also refers to "granny['s] flat" under this heading.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Dagmar
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8 4:50 AM
        I agree, Petr. Even relatively poor families talked about vejminek, all it meant was that the old parents stopped working (doing whatever was their source of income - they could be just poor weavers etc) and just carried on living with the young ones who took over. So it was just used as a term for retiring.. in many a folk tale they would say 'maminka a tatinek uz byli na vejminku'...

        BW,
        Dagmar