Re[2]: [Czechlist] Velka potřeba

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
      I see, there must be some sort of wordplay, or at least a stylistic
      reason for the author to use exactly those words.. (I think the child
      would omit potreba when saying those things and it only got there as
      part of telling the story)

      What it means, ultimately, is the difference between number one and
      number two (or whatever expression you decide to use in the end), so I
      would try to find and expression that's actually used by ENG speakers
      and sounds/works sort of similar to how the source does.. no need to
      concentrate on conveying the idea of 'potreba' unless it is used
      elsewhere referring to things outside of the bathroom (and even if it
      is, it would probably work best to find a term that works for both of
      these meanings and still used in toilet-talk by ENG speakers)..

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
        Yes, thank you.

        On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:

        > I see, there must be some sort of wordplay, or at least a stylistic
        > reason for the author to use exactly those words.. (I think the child
        > would omit potreba when saying those things and it only got there as
        > part of telling the story)
        >
        > What it means, ultimately, is the difference between number one and
        > number two (or whatever expression you decide to use in the end), so I
        > would try to find and expression that's actually used by ENG speakers
        > and sounds/works sort of similar to how the source does.. no need to
        > concentrate on conveying the idea of 'potreba' unless it is used
        > elsewhere referring to things outside of the bathroom (and even if it
        > is, it would probably work best to find a term that works for both of
        > these meanings and still used in toilet-talk by ENG speakers)..

      • Liz
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
          Hi,

          "Number two" was definitely what kids say (and said in the 70s). If the setting is the 20s, though, I'd say something more cryptic ...

          Liz

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:

          > Yes, thank you.

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > "Number two" was definitely what kids say (and said in the 70s). If the setting is the 20s, though, I'd say something more cryptic ...

            A 1920s genteelism for number twos? Oh, you know I cannot resist a challenge.

            Go down to Tinkletown

            Go up to Piddlewick

            Faire le numero deux

            BR

            Melvyn
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
              In my family we went "little toidee" and "big toidee", but we were the only family I met who used those expressions.

              Later I thought that the expressions were derived "mala strana" and "velka strana", but once I saw an antique potty chair whose brand name was "Little Toidey" (many for sale on auction sites now). So maybe that word "toidey" was more common in the old days.

              We called a boy's thing his "toidier".

              Jamie