Re: [Czechlist] Velka potřeba

  • Hannah Geiger
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
      The writer is in his eighties, so the child is saying in the late 1920's
      that he has malou potrebu, tak mu daji nocnik, on z urciteho duvodu trucuje
      ze ma taky velkou potrebu a chce kvuli tomu jit domu, ze tu velkou potrebu
      jinde neudela. Takze nejake wee wee nebo poo poo neprichazi v uvahu,
      zrejme ho takhle naucili mluvit, nebo si to autor preje popisne takto

      To number two zni taky OK. Jinak co se tyce jazyka, Kohout nebo Skvorecky
      v maji nadhernou cestinu (tedy IMO), a v zasade je taky zastarala v zasade
      se snad kazdy, komu je 40+ musel nejak prizpusobovat, myslim. Ale nechci
      se vzdalovat od tematu. Termin 'potreba' se mi zda taky neobvykly.

      Dekuji za reakci

      Hanka

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
        I see, there must be some sort of wordplay, or at least a stylistic
        reason for the author to use exactly those words.. (I think the child
        would omit potreba when saying those things and it only got there as
        part of telling the story)

        What it means, ultimately, is the difference between number one and
        number two (or whatever expression you decide to use in the end), so I
        would try to find and expression that's actually used by ENG speakers
        and sounds/works sort of similar to how the source does.. no need to
        concentrate on conveying the idea of 'potreba' unless it is used
        elsewhere referring to things outside of the bathroom (and even if it
        is, it would probably work best to find a term that works for both of
        these meanings and still used in toilet-talk by ENG speakers)..

        > The writer is in his eighties, so the child is saying in the late
        >1920's
        >that he has malou potrebu, tak mu daji nocnik, on z urciteho duvodu
        >trucuje
        >ze ma taky velkou potrebu a chce kvuli tomu jit domu, ze tu velkou
        >potrebu
        >jinde neudela. Takze nejake wee wee nebo poo poo neprichazi v uvahu,
        >zrejme ho takhle naucili mluvit, nebo si to autor preje popisne takto
        >
        >To number two zni taky OK. Jinak co se tyce jazyka, Kohout nebo
        >Skvorecky
        >v maji nadhernou cestinu (tedy IMO), a v zasade je taky zastarala v
        >zasade
        >se snad kazdy, komu je 40+ musel nejak prizpusobovat, myslim. Ale
        >nechci
        >se vzdalovat od tematu. Termin 'potreba' se mi zda taky neobvykly.
        >
        >Dekuji za reakci
        >
        >Hanka
        >
        >On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Hannah,
        >>
        >> Not sure I understand what you're after.. a bit of context wouldn't
        >> hurt.. BUT if you're translating some sort of story where a child
        >says
        >> they need to go to "na velkou" (I've never heard a child, or an adult
        >> for that matter, to say "potrebu," that's a very old and bookie thing
        >> no one says since, dunno fifties?, actually, I think potreba is only
        >> tacked on in official context, like doctors' or police reports..)
        >>
        >> If you're after a natural translation, then surely a "number two" is
        >> called for, if you're after some sort of creative rendition, then
        >> perhaps the big thing you mention and a bit of a
        >> socio-cultural/anthropological explanation of other nations' toilet
        >> habits and lingo?
        >>
        >> Matej

      • Hannah Geiger
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
          Yes, thank you.

          On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:

          > I see, there must be some sort of wordplay, or at least a stylistic
          > reason for the author to use exactly those words.. (I think the child
          > would omit potreba when saying those things and it only got there as
          > part of telling the story)
          >
          > What it means, ultimately, is the difference between number one and
          > number two (or whatever expression you decide to use in the end), so I
          > would try to find and expression that's actually used by ENG speakers
          > and sounds/works sort of similar to how the source does.. no need to
          > concentrate on conveying the idea of 'potreba' unless it is used
          > elsewhere referring to things outside of the bathroom (and even if it
          > is, it would probably work best to find a term that works for both of
          > these meanings and still used in toilet-talk by ENG speakers)..

        • Liz
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
            Hi,

            "Number two" was definitely what kids say (and said in the 70s). If the setting is the 20s, though, I'd say something more cryptic ...

            Liz

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:

            > Yes, thank you.

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > "Number two" was definitely what kids say (and said in the 70s). If the setting is the 20s, though, I'd say something more cryptic ...

              A 1920s genteelism for number twos? Oh, you know I cannot resist a challenge.

              Go down to Tinkletown

              Go up to Piddlewick

              Faire le numero deux

              BR

              Melvyn
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                In my family we went "little toidee" and "big toidee", but we were the only family I met who used those expressions.

                Later I thought that the expressions were derived "mala strana" and "velka strana", but once I saw an antique potty chair whose brand name was "Little Toidey" (many for sale on auction sites now). So maybe that word "toidey" was more common in the old days.

                We called a boy's thing his "toidier".

                Jamie