Re: [Czechlist] Velká potřeba

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
      Hi Hannah,

      Not sure I understand what you're after.. a bit of context wouldn't
      hurt.. BUT if you're translating some sort of story where a child says
      they need to go to "na velkou" (I've never heard a child, or an adult
      for that matter, to say "potrebu," that's a very old and bookie thing
      no one says since, dunno fifties?, actually, I think potreba is only
      tacked on in official context, like doctors' or police reports..)

      If you're after a natural translation, then surely a "number two" is
      called for, if you're after some sort of creative rendition, then
      perhaps the big thing you mention and a bit of a
      socio-cultural/anthropological explanation of other nations' toilet
      habits and lingo?

      Matej
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
        The writer is in his eighties, so the child is saying in the late 1920's
        that he has malou potrebu, tak mu daji nocnik, on z urciteho duvodu trucuje
        ze ma taky velkou potrebu a chce kvuli tomu jit domu, ze tu velkou potrebu
        jinde neudela. Takze nejake wee wee nebo poo poo neprichazi v uvahu,
        zrejme ho takhle naucili mluvit, nebo si to autor preje popisne takto

        To number two zni taky OK. Jinak co se tyce jazyka, Kohout nebo Skvorecky
        v maji nadhernou cestinu (tedy IMO), a v zasade je taky zastarala v zasade
        se snad kazdy, komu je 40+ musel nejak prizpusobovat, myslim. Ale nechci
        se vzdalovat od tematu. Termin 'potreba' se mi zda taky neobvykly.

        Dekuji za reakci

        Hanka

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
          I see, there must be some sort of wordplay, or at least a stylistic
          reason for the author to use exactly those words.. (I think the child
          would omit potreba when saying those things and it only got there as
          part of telling the story)

          What it means, ultimately, is the difference between number one and
          number two (or whatever expression you decide to use in the end), so I
          would try to find and expression that's actually used by ENG speakers
          and sounds/works sort of similar to how the source does.. no need to
          concentrate on conveying the idea of 'potreba' unless it is used
          elsewhere referring to things outside of the bathroom (and even if it
          is, it would probably work best to find a term that works for both of
          these meanings and still used in toilet-talk by ENG speakers)..

          > The writer is in his eighties, so the child is saying in the late
          >1920's
          >that he has malou potrebu, tak mu daji nocnik, on z urciteho duvodu
          >trucuje
          >ze ma taky velkou potrebu a chce kvuli tomu jit domu, ze tu velkou
          >potrebu
          >jinde neudela. Takze nejake wee wee nebo poo poo neprichazi v uvahu,
          >zrejme ho takhle naucili mluvit, nebo si to autor preje popisne takto
          >
          >To number two zni taky OK. Jinak co se tyce jazyka, Kohout nebo
          >Skvorecky
          >v maji nadhernou cestinu (tedy IMO), a v zasade je taky zastarala v
          >zasade
          >se snad kazdy, komu je 40+ musel nejak prizpusobovat, myslim. Ale
          >nechci
          >se vzdalovat od tematu. Termin 'potreba' se mi zda taky neobvykly.
          >
          >Dekuji za reakci
          >
          >Hanka
          >
          >On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Hannah,
          >>
          >> Not sure I understand what you're after.. a bit of context wouldn't
          >> hurt.. BUT if you're translating some sort of story where a child
          >says
          >> they need to go to "na velkou" (I've never heard a child, or an adult
          >> for that matter, to say "potrebu," that's a very old and bookie thing
          >> no one says since, dunno fifties?, actually, I think potreba is only
          >> tacked on in official context, like doctors' or police reports..)
          >>
          >> If you're after a natural translation, then surely a "number two" is
          >> called for, if you're after some sort of creative rendition, then
          >> perhaps the big thing you mention and a bit of a
          >> socio-cultural/anthropological explanation of other nations' toilet
          >> habits and lingo?
          >>
          >> Matej

        • Hannah Geiger
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
            Yes, thank you.

            On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:

            > I see, there must be some sort of wordplay, or at least a stylistic
            > reason for the author to use exactly those words.. (I think the child
            > would omit potreba when saying those things and it only got there as
            > part of telling the story)
            >
            > What it means, ultimately, is the difference between number one and
            > number two (or whatever expression you decide to use in the end), so I
            > would try to find and expression that's actually used by ENG speakers
            > and sounds/works sort of similar to how the source does.. no need to
            > concentrate on conveying the idea of 'potreba' unless it is used
            > elsewhere referring to things outside of the bathroom (and even if it
            > is, it would probably work best to find a term that works for both of
            > these meanings and still used in toilet-talk by ENG speakers)..

          • Liz
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
              Hi,

              "Number two" was definitely what kids say (and said in the 70s). If the setting is the 20s, though, I'd say something more cryptic ...

              Liz

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:

              > Yes, thank you.

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > "Number two" was definitely what kids say (and said in the 70s). If the setting is the 20s, though, I'd say something more cryptic ...

                A 1920s genteelism for number twos? Oh, you know I cannot resist a challenge.

                Go down to Tinkletown

                Go up to Piddlewick

                Faire le numero deux

                BR

                Melvyn
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                  In my family we went "little toidee" and "big toidee", but we were the only family I met who used those expressions.

                  Later I thought that the expressions were derived "mala strana" and "velka strana", but once I saw an antique potty chair whose brand name was "Little Toidey" (many for sale on auction sites now). So maybe that word "toidey" was more common in the old days.

                  We called a boy's thing his "toidier".

                  Jamie