Re: [Czechlist] value/values in a company slogan..

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
      I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

      Jamie

      On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Melvyn wrote:

      > Value - some only eye it up

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

        > I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

        Yes, it can be:
        eye something or someone up: ogle, leer at, make eyes at, give (someone) the (glad) eye My brother is forever eyeing up women in the street.
        http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eyeing+up

        but it can also have the broader sense of consider, often IMHO with a view to acquiring:

        To examine closely something coveted.
        www.allwords.com/word-eye+up.html

        Lenovo eyeing up IBM's x86 server business

        Celtic Manager Neil Lennon Eyeing Up a Top Premier League Job

        Boxing - Evans eyeing up switch to professional ranks

        One of those little words favoured by British tabloid journalists IMO.

        I take it this is not common stateside. Just another of the million pitfalls then.

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013

          > Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

          Is Simon justified in his cynicism? Wasn't the client at least a little impressed?

          BR

          Melvyn
        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
            Many thanks to Matej, Sarka, Valerie and Jirka for your input on back gardens and areaways. All useful stuff. OK my solution for back gardens might not be watertight, but I reckon it works more often than not.

            BR

            Melvyn