Re[2]: [Czechlist] value/values in a company slogan..

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
      Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..

      I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
      a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
      photoshopped into a seeing eye..

      So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
      change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
      there on many things)...

      We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
      anything

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
        Riffing on Melvyn's idea:

        An eye for value. An eye for values.

        Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

        Simon

        > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
        >
        > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
        > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
        > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
        >
        > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
        > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
        > there on many things)...
        >
        > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
        > anything

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
          Keeping an eye out for good value(s) :-)

          We have an eye for the value within the valuable

          Value - some only eye it up

          Value - it it true or is it just you?

          Value - some only see the price (thanks, Oscar Wilde)

          Others seek value, we see value

          Others see a value, we see the value

          Always eyeing up the potential

          (as I say, this hodnota can often be awkward in other contexts too. Jamie's idea could be put to good use here and elsewhere)

          As for "don't" versus "do not", I think both are possible here. "Do not" is probably best if you want to stay cultivated and refined IMHO.

          BR

          Melvyn

          > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
          >
          > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
          > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
          > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
          >
          > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
          > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
          > there on many things)...
          >
          > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
          > anything

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

            > Others seek value, we see value

            Course, this sounds very pompous. Try playing around with it and toning it down, e.g.

            Value. Some see it - some just don't

            I think "don't" works better here. Probably even more pompous, mind.

            BR

            Melvyn
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
              I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

              Jamie

              On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Melvyn wrote:

              > Value - some only eye it up

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                > I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                Yes, it can be:
                eye something or someone up: ogle, leer at, make eyes at, give (someone) the (glad) eye My brother is forever eyeing up women in the street.
                http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eyeing+up

                but it can also have the broader sense of consider, often IMHO with a view to acquiring:

                To examine closely something coveted.
                www.allwords.com/word-eye+up.html

                Lenovo eyeing up IBM's x86 server business

                Celtic Manager Neil Lennon Eyeing Up a Top Premier League Job

                Boxing - Evans eyeing up switch to professional ranks

                One of those little words favoured by British tabloid journalists IMO.

                I take it this is not common stateside. Just another of the million pitfalls then.

                BR

                Melvyn
              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013

                  > Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

                  Is Simon justified in his cynicism? Wasn't the client at least a little impressed?

                  BR

                  Melvyn
                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
                    Many thanks to Matej, Sarka, Valerie and Jirka for your input on back gardens and areaways. All useful stuff. OK my solution for back gardens might not be watertight, but I reckon it works more often than not.

                    BR

                    Melvyn